Trying to decide on Target time of year to select use year.

ajiuo

Practically Perfect In Every Way
I’m kind of trying to decide the best time of year to target my visits so I can start looking for a specific use year.

I’m kind of stuck deciding between 2 times of the year. My two choices are late April- early May or mid to late October.

I recently visited in February. It wasn’t horrible but the mornings were a bit cold for my taste. I also didn’t like splash mountain being closed (witch I guess is normal for February)

What are the key differences between the two times of year.... weather, park hours, normal ride closures, crowds?

I live in Utah, so I was originally wanting to find some resale points for Grand Californian. I though it might be more economical because of the airplane costs... but after visiting Disney World in February I discovered that transportation costs are so much less out there that it more than makes up for the difference in airplane costs. I also loved AKL and the resale points seem to be half of what they are in California. So I think the plan now is to get 150-175 points in Florida to use in either April/May or October... then in a couple of years I will get 50-75 point in California to spend 3-4 day every year or 2... but my California timeslot would end up being whichever timeslot I don’t choose for Florida.

thanks for any advice.

With those times, a fall UY would be a good one, Sept UY would put most of your travel within the first 8 months which gives you time to bank or use points if you had to cancel or change a trip.

Oct UY would also work as long as you never want to start at end of September,

I have traveled more in October than April /May, but the times I have the weather has been pretty much similar. Nice and sunny but not as humid as June through September.

I also live in Utah and know how much easier it is to get to CA. That being said I have contracts at BRV, BCV, and BLT, all with February use years. I've never been able to score a stay at GCV on point, but I keep looking for something to pop up. When I first purchased, the February UY was perfect, and overall it still works and I've taken trips in every month except November. It is best to get a UY that is just before your normal travel time, but your travel habits may change throughout the length of your contract. I traveled in January this year and also have trips coming in April and December. The January and December trips don't have much flexibility to change my mind after September. I had a trip booked for next month but canceled because flights were too expensive and I didn't risk loosing points. A lot of DVCers like to travel to WDW in the fall, but my family and I prefer the weather in the March - May.

September would be a good use year for trips in the fall and early spring.

I love both of those times. The weather is great and they both have festivals (Flower and Garden in the Spring and Food and Wine in the Fall). Fall is a low point time for DVC and therefore a busy time.
An April UY would work for those times as well.

I would say April or October UY. Your travel patterns will probably change though. We have a June UY. When we bought, we thought we would go only in the summers and fall break since we were teachers. Not sure why I never considered Christmas break. It's one of my favorite times now. October is the main time we travel now, and we will add November, April, and May in 51 days when I retire. The June UY works for our October/November/December trips, but not so much for April and May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter