Trying to get my resume Disney Ready

And a "yes" could very well put your application directly into the "rejected" pile.

a yes goes in the garbage?

Exactly right. That could quickly filter people out.

Like I said before, all these online application forms are put through a computer program which filters words Disney have specified. Needing sponsorship for a work visa may be one of their filters for specific jobs. For example if Disney know that they get a high amount of applicants from people who live in Florida for specific jobs, then they will filter out all those who need visa sponsorship for those jobs. Anyone who applies for say an hourly paid mousekeeping job for example.

On the other hand, if they are advertising for a senior level marketing executive who is salary paid, then the amount of people who have the specific skills and experience and qualifications might be very low in the state of Florida, so they will accept people for interview who may need a work visa sponsorship

I will fully admit to being a bit naive, but I'm still going to try. I'm not hanging my only hat on getting a job with Disney, it would be nice to trade the Atlantic Canadian winter for a Floridian hurricane season, but I'm also looking at other places as well (Ontario, BC, Teaching ESL overseas if i can find a reputable certification program. I did interview with Disney English, but choked on the Sing/Paint/Dance segment.)

I'm still weighing my options.

I will fully admit to being a bit naive, but I'm still going to try. I'm not hanging my only hat on getting a job with Disney, it would be nice to trade the Atlantic Canadian winter for a Floridian hurricane season, but I'm also looking at other places as well (Ontario, BC, Teaching ESL overseas if i can find a reputable certification program. I did interview with Disney English, but choked on the Sing/Paint/Dance segment.)

I'm still weighing my options.

None of us are H1B experts (at least, I know that I'm not and no one else has said that they are, so I'm going with them not being). We've given you our thoughts based on our experience/knowledge, but you are definitely right not to take our comments as the definite truth. I do advise you to find out the definite truth (Disney probably won't tell you, but the H1B rules should be findable) so that you don't waste your time (if it is a no go).

There is/was a poster on the DIS who is/was teaching English in China. I do not remember her name but perhaps some good searching would find her and she may have some advice.

Thanks, I'm not gonna give up. though I was hoping for more like "Hey, go work at a restaurant" or "volunteer with kids" kinda advice. XD

Disney is going to take candidates who need H1B visas under 2 circumstances: it is a HIGHLY specialized and skilled job, or it is a very high level position. None of the positions you are going for meet that requirement. If you can't get in to Disney in Canada somehow, like the stores you mentioned, your next best bet is to work for and get promoted through the ranks at a corporation in Canada. Then try for Disney when you are a director or above. But that is a long term plan and will take many years with no guarantee.

Sham marriage for a green card perhaps? It worked for Sandra Bullock in The Proposal.

I looked in to it about two years ago (a friend was escaping Venezuela.) and marrying a citizen is no longer a guarantee of citizenship.

Disney is going to take candidates who need H1B visas under 2 circumstances: it is a HIGHLY specialized and skilled job, or it is a very high level position. None of the positions you are going for meet that requirement. If you can't get in to Disney in Canada somehow, like the stores you mentioned, your next best bet is to work for and get promoted through the ranks at a corporation in Canada. Then try for Disney when you are a director or above. But that is a long term plan and will take many years with no guarantee.

gonna try the Ontario route.

well I appreciate the honesty. because you are right that it might be work for nothing, but I can't see the harm in being versatile.

well I appreciate the honesty. because you are right that it might be work for nothing, but I can't see the harm in being versatile.

I have no personal experience in Disney at all, but based on my experience in recruiting and hiring, I agree with the poster I quoted above. I know that you are saying that you are trying to be versatile, but your current experience is quite disparate, you may be limiting yourself by going for versatility over specialization in a focused area, especially if you are looking to obtain an H1B.

Based on your experience and what you have stated, I would not hire you for an Executive Admin job when there are probably hundreds of other people applying for those jobs who actually have extensive admin skills. When we recently hired an executive admin we required at least 5 years experience working in the field supporting a director level or above. We hire those with experience in travel, calendar management, multi-tasking, etc. You also need to be an expert in all the Microsoft office suite products including Excel, Word, Acess, Powerpoint, Publisher, etc.

I have experience in travel, calendar management, multi-tasking, et all, I do have experience with the Microsoft suite of programs including excel, word, Powerpoint, Outlook, and so on. I kept the examples off the opening text.

huh... dang. :/ I do specify that I'm willing to relocate as part of my cover letter. but now I'm starting to doubt that'll be enough to bridge the gulf. (or more accurately the 49th parallel) which is why I'm looking for tips on how to become more appealing as an applicant to get them to overlook that. I should re-examine the postings for the Disney stores in Ontario. I have managerial and sales experience.
I don't think it has anything to do with getting Disney to overlook anything, and everything to do with meeting the government guidelines for the visa.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anyhting to do wit hgetting Dsieny to overlook anyhting, and everything to do with meeting the government guidelines for the visa.

Right. Being willing to relocate isn't relevant. A potential employee must meet the visa rules in order to be eligible for a visa. Even then it doesn't mean you will get one. The OP's skills don't meet that test in my judgement.

This might be helpful to the op:
https://www.uscis.gov/working-unite...evelopment-project-workers-and-fashion-models

Last edited:
Since you may consider Ontario:.
Niagara College NOTL Campus | Canadian Food and ….

There are some certification courses there that our local News reports, result in job placement on Graduation.

Also, some unique new ones that at the moment I can't recall. Maybe, spirits micro brewery.

It is a Beekeeper program. Our Gov. is directing money, and incentives so the buzz word is, here in Niagara to aid tender fruit farmers in setting hives in place.

Dh reminded me of it this morning. He'd like to set up hives here on our hobby farm, and hire a keeper. However, he is bee venom allergic carries an Epipen, and I'm not comfortable. Albeit, I appreciate the dire need for the increase in bee populations.

Good luck for your future!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter