two way radios

kanor

Earning My Ears
Hi, was hoping someone could give me what exactly I am looking for when I buy two way radios for communication throughout disney. I know nothing about them, just that the prices vary a whole lot. Any help would be appreciated.

Ours are Motorola Talkabouts fr60 (at least that's what it says on the front). The main thing you want to look for is subchannels. Ours has 14 channels with 38 subchannels each. This will keep you from having other people with you on the same channel. Only once did we ever have someone on our channel on our 14 day WDW visit. My parents bought theirs without subchannels and it was crazy! I think ours were about $40 each. BTW, we could not talk park to park, but we were able to reach my dad at the MK parking lot while we were in Tomorrowland and across all other parks. You will really enjoy them, just don't forget to turn them off during shows!!

We were advised by friends to purchase radios that have a recharger included because the units use up batteries quickly. I have noticed that there are now more models with chargers included than when we first started looking at them about 6 months ago. They are a little pricier, but you won't have to buy lots of batteries.

I've been researching myself and the above posters have mentioned the things I have learned
1) Buy Motorola (they seem to be the best)
2) Find ones that have channels and subchannels (otherwise you will be listening to constant babbles of "Mom...Dad...where are you?" from other people)
3) Do not buy ones that use AAA batteries! If you buy ones that are not rechargeable, then buys ones that use AA batteries.
4) Nice features, but not absolutely necessary: "silent" mode, so you can be notified of a call without everyone hearing you during a show, etc. -- Notifying "ring" that you are being paged
(good when it's noisy and hard to hear if someone is "calling" you)
5) Bottom line -- you get what you pay for!!

Thanks so much, now does anyone know of any good deals on them online or in stores, especially a place that takes flooz?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter