Typhoon Lagoon Cabanas

I've seen some reports that some of the cabanas have a lot of traffic noise from the freeways. Anyone know which sections have the traffic noise issue?
At Typhoon Lagoon? I've never heard road noise. Are you thinking about the Universal Water Park Volcano Bay?

IIRC, we've been told the four umbrellas on the island are assigned to the 4 earliest reservations for the day.

We were lucky once to grab one of these: we were nowhere near having done an early booking (we booked the day before), however one family upgraded to a cabana and we were able to get their spot. Definitively one of the best area in the water park, it might even beat cabanas as long as the weather permits!

So we are back from another wonderful trip. We did rent the cabana for the day and it was the best thing we could have done. We had a cabana that was right near the wave pool entrance, so it was very easy to keep track of the boys. I loved the fact that we had privacy and not sitting on top of each other. Loved all the water we could drink and the 2 people that were assigned to us. They were fabulous and quick with service. We will definitely be booking a cabana again in the future.

A few things to note:
1. when I booked on the phone the CM told us that we would be able to enter the park at 9:30 before everyone else. That was not entirely true. We got there at 9:20 and were told we needed to wait in line to enter the park. So that delayed our entrance by about 15 minutes.
2. Was told by the CM that we could pick our cabana when we got there: not entirely true. When I finally got to the shack, there was a line with some people renting the cabanas right then and there. By the time I got up there, I was given an area that I did not want to be in. They did change it, however, it was another 5 minute delay. So by the time we got to the cabana, #7, we had less than 5 minutes before the park was officially open. I really felt like I would have been at the cabana at least 15-20' before so we could settle in and get ourselves organized.
3. Because we got the last pick of that area, we were closest to the walkway, and therefore lots of people staring at us while we were relaxing, setting up chairs along the sand that was next to our cabana, and one lady actually came into our area with her baby carriage getting the child out of the sun. Now, I understand wanting to keep the child out of the sun, however, the cabana area is blocked off and she completely ignored it. Going to ask for cabana 9-11 next time. They were a little higher up and not on the walk way area.

So my advice would be when calling to book, tell them on the phone what area you want and then be at the park earlier than the 9:30 time.

So we are back from another wonderful trip. We did rent the cabana for the day and it was the best thing we could have done. We had a cabana that was right near the wave pool entrance, so it was very easy to keep track of the boys. I loved the fact that we had privacy and not sitting on top of each other. Loved all the water we could drink and the 2 people that were assigned to us. They were fabulous and quick with service. We will definitely be booking a cabana again in the future.

A few things to note:
1. when I booked on the phone the CM told us that we would be able to enter the park at 9:30 before everyone else. That was not entirely true. We got there at 9:20 and were told we needed to wait in line to enter the park. So that delayed our entrance by about 15 minutes.
2. Was told by the CM that we could pick our cabana when we got there: not entirely true. When I finally got to the shack, there was a line with some people renting the cabanas right then and there. By the time I got up there, I was given an area that I did not want to be in. They did change it, however, it was another 5 minute delay. So by the time we got to the cabana, #7, we had less than 5 minutes before the park was officially open. I really felt like I would have been at the cabana at least 15-20' before so we could settle in and get ourselves organized.
3. Because we got the last pick of that area, we were closest to the walkway, and therefore lots of people staring at us while we were relaxing, setting up chairs along the sand that was next to our cabana, and one lady actually came into our area with her baby carriage getting the child out of the sun. Now, I understand wanting to keep the child out of the sun, however, the cabana area is blocked off and she completely ignored it. Going to ask for cabana 9-11 next time. They were a little higher up and not on the walk way area.

So my advice would be when calling to book, tell them on the phone what area you want and then be at the park earlier than the 9:30 time.

We've been on cabana #7 today and we faced the same akward situation, a mom with her toddler sneaked into the “reserved” area trying to get a sitting. She walked out without hassle as soon as I told her this was reservation-only, but it certainly was inconvenient.

My wife and I booked several cabanas in the parks, on both water parks, and this was the first time we were facing a situation like this. We were just talking about it, if they give us cabana #7 next time at Typhoon Lagoon, we're going to decline and ask for another one.

@chepic - Thank you for your post. We're renting a TL cabana for the first time in a few weeks and I've been trying to find good info on if I wanted to request a certain area. Your info is very helpful and timely.

@chepic - Thank you for your post. We're renting a TL cabana for the first time in a few weeks and I've been trying to find good info on if I wanted to request a certain area. Your info is very helpful and timely.

We've been to all beachcomber shacks areas at the TL water park. By “area”, I'm visually grouping the cabanas into three different zones:
  • the one just across the wave pool (where the dreaded cabana #7 is located)
  • the area just behind (on the map it looks like this is the same area, where in practice the beachcombers that overlook the back of the wave pool are in a more intimate space, a few feet higher, with trees between this space and the public area)
  • the area far away from everything, bottom right of the map (to be honest, there is a soda station, a lazy river entry/exit, and restrooms, but it is far from major attractions)
Here is a picture that outlines all these locations (sorry, the map on which I drew this is outdated):

IMG_0100.jpg

As you can guess, the location we prefer is the one near the back of the wave pool. The only people that will walk here are the one with reservations for umbrellas/cabanas, so you're not going to be bothered by other guests. Even at the more isolated location, on the bottom right of the map, some other guests came to us asking for questions regarding that space, how much it cost, if it was worth it, and so on. Not that I mind helping other guests of course, but this might be worth noting that the only location that seems quiet is the one near the back of the wave pool.

Also, note that location requests are not always accepted at the water parks. I would suggest you come early and pray for availability. Also, remember to book early, cabanas might be sold out a few weeks before.

Let us know how this worked for you!

I'm so happy I found this post. We missed out on a castaway cay cabana, but this or even the umbrellas sounds great for a honeymoon. :-)

I would rather be further away from people, but my fiance loves the wave pool, like a kid never wanting to get out. So near the wave pool would be good for me so I can leave him to swim and not be too far away lol.

We've been to all beachcomber shacks areas at the TL water park. By “area”, I'm visually grouping the cabanas into three different zones:
  • the one just across the wave pool (where the dreaded cabana #7 is located)
  • the area just behind (on the map it looks like this is the same area, where in practice the beachcombers that overlook the back of the wave pool are in a more intimate space, a few feet higher, with trees between this space and the public area)
  • the area far away from everything, bottom right of the map (to be honest, there is a soda station, a lazy river entry/exit, and restrooms, but it is far from major attractions)
Here is a picture that outlines all these locations (sorry, the map on which I drew this is outdated):

IMG_0100.jpg

As you can guess, the location we prefer is the one near the back of the wave pool. The only people that will walk here are the one with reservations for umbrellas/cabanas, so you're not going to be bothered by other guests. Even at the more isolated location, on the bottom right of the map, some other guests came to us asking for questions regarding that space, how much it cost, if it was worth it, and so on. Not that I mind helping other guests of course, but this might be worth noting that the only location that seems quiet is the one near the back of the wave pool.

Also, note that location requests are not always accepted at the water parks. I would suggest you come early and pray for availability. Also, remember to book early, cabanas might be sold out a few weeks before.

Let us know how this worked for you!

Awesome, thanks @cwis! Good cabana info on the water parks is a bit hard to come by around here. We've done the cabanas at BB several times now. We like a specific cabana number over there...we give our request through DSS when we make the reservation, which so far has worked each time. But... I know it's a bit of luck/circumstance.

Thanks again for the info/advice!

We've been on cabana #7 today and we faced the same akward situation, a mom with her toddler sneaked into the “reserved” area trying to get a sitting. She walked out without hassle as soon as I told her this was reservation-only, but it certainly was inconvenient.

My wife and I booked several cabanas in the parks, on both water parks, and this was the first time we were facing a situation like this. We were just talking about it, if they give us cabana #7 next time at Typhoon Lagoon, we're going to decline and ask for another one.
Yes, we are going back next year but thinking of going to Blizzard Beach so we will have to scope it out.

Awesome, thanks @cwis! Good cabana info on the water parks is a bit hard to come by around here. We've done the cabanas at BB several times now. We like a specific cabana number over there...we give our request through DSS when we make the reservation, which so far has worked each time. But... I know it's a bit of luck/circumstance.

Thanks again for the info/advice!
So, ok, which cabana on BB do you like??? :O) We are thinking of going there next time.

So, ok, which cabana on BB do you like??? :O) We are thinking of going there next time.

We have kids so we like the one over in the little kids area (Tikes Peak I think it's called). It would be a terrible cabana for anyone who doesn't have small kids though! It's a bit away from the rest of the action. :-)

Can't remember the number off hand but can find it if needed.

We had 10 people last summer and rented one cabana and one umbrella that were near each other. I had researched and requested the number of each that I wanted when booking, choosing ones near the wave pool. We were never all together in the cabana at once, but could have been if we wanted to. I don't know how much extra per person for the cabana, but the umbrella was $50 for up to 4 people. It included 2 loungers and 2 sand chairs. We pulled the sand chairs up under the cabana too. It was one of our nicest Disney days that trip!

Just to follow-up, we had an umbrella in the “far away” zone today. We asked about upgrading to a cabana; initially we were told that one was available. Only, this was cabana #2, which is the only cabana at this resort that is NOT a shelter (they let us know). We already had this cabana before, its location is real nice (it's the only cabana in the park that directly overlooks the lazy river), though the fact that it is not a shelter is a huge inconvenience to us. If we wanted a cabana that was not a shelter in August, then we'd go to Blizzard Beach. We finally declined it. (Long story short, there was no thunderstorms that day, so we would not have needed protection. If only this specific cabana was discounted, we probably would have gone for it.)

We adapted our planning to the location of our umbrella, and did just fine: we started with Miss Adventure Falls at rope drop (<5 mins wait), next Crush'n'Gusher, next all the other water rides that we were interested in. When we were done (at 11:30) we returned to the umbrella and used only the lazy river and the wave pool. With this agenda, we did actually enjoy the far location of the umbrellas. Since today was the day of the eclipse, and we had taken eclipse glasses with us, we spent an hour or two enjoying the event (and a beer). Also, my wife is a passholder, and it was convenient that the only restaurant in the water park that accepts AP discounts was just accross the reserved area.

@GADisneyDad14: as far as requests for cabanas/umbrellas go, we expressed ours to DSS for this trip. So far, none were respected. We have an umbrella at BB in a few days, obviously we requested one in the “inner island”, I would be disappointed if we don't have it (since we booked it so long ago) but I'm not seriously counting on it… :(

Just to follow-up, we had an umbrella in the “far away” zone today. We asked about upgrading to a cabana; initially we were told that one was available. Only, this was cabana #2, which is the only cabana at this resort that is NOT a shelter (they let us know). We already had this cabana before, its location is real nice (it's the only cabana in the park that directly overlooks the lazy river), though the fact that it is not a shelter is a huge inconvenience to us. If we wanted a cabana that was not a shelter in August, then we'd go to Blizzard Beach. We finally declined it. (Long story short, there was no thunderstorms that day, so we would not have needed protection. If only this specific cabana was discounted, we probably would have gone for it.)

We adapted our planning to the location of our umbrella, and did just fine: we started with Miss Adventure Falls at rope drop (<5 mins wait), next Crush'n'Gusher, next all the other water rides that we were interested in. When we were done (at 11:30) we returned to the umbrella and used only the lazy river and the wave pool. With this agenda, we did actually enjoy the far location of the umbrellas. Since today was the day of the eclipse, and we had taken eclipse glasses with us, we spent an hour or two enjoying the event (and a beer). Also, my wife is a passholder, and it was convenient that the only restaurant in the water park that accepts AP discounts was just accross the reserved area.

@GADisneyDad14: as far as requests for cabanas/umbrellas go, we expressed ours to DSS for this trip. So far, none were respected. We have an umbrella at BB in a few days, obviously we requested one in the “inner island”, I would be disappointed if we don't have it (since we booked it so long ago) but I'm not seriously counting on it… :(

Your slide list sounds like ours!!! LOL. We did the same thing pretty much, and the kids had a great time and we were able to relax. Hope you get your request.

If I remember where is that cabana, I think it is one of my favorites! I bet you had a nice view of the wave pool :)

It was the one furthest towards the shallow/shore end of the wave pool. It was perfect for our needs and I loved the location. All of those cabanas next to the wave pool look like quality spots.

Only thing I didn't much care for was the umbrella directly in front of our cabana. At first I thought it was part our area, until the CM said it is rented separately. Proximity wise it was just a little 'close' so we lost any privacy we had once they showed up.

If I want to rent a cabana and an umbrella because there will be 10 of us, can they guarantee they will be together?

It was the one furthest towards the shallow/shore end of the wave pool. It was perfect for our needs and I loved the location. All of those cabanas next to the wave pool look like quality spots.

Only thing I didn't much care for was the umbrella directly in front of our cabana. At first I thought it was part our area, until the CM said it is rented separately. Proximity wise it was just a little 'close' so we lost any privacy we had once they showed up.

We've had this umbrella once, which is a really good spot for an umbrella. I can imagine the proximity can be a little too close when you are in the cabana just next to it, though, especially if the full 4 guests are using it! (When we go to the water parks, it's only DW and I, which I imagine is less troublesome than a family with two kids).

If I want to rent a cabana and an umbrella because there will be 10 of us, can they guarantee they will be together?

While nothing is ever guaranteed at Disney, I would recommend getting there early. I imagine the cabana/umbrella assignment can be changed a little to accommodate such requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!