Uber/Lyft safety measures

andieb0602

Mouseketeer
Has anyone taken Uber/Lyft around WDW recently? I have a breakfast ADR at Ale & Compass on our HS day and want to get a ride from WBC but DH has concerns. I know each driver is different but are they adhering to safety protocol for the most part?

Can't say about the ones in Orlando but the ones where I live are sort of play it by ear. My son takes them all the time (at least twice a week) and he hates masks and refuses to wear one unless it's absolutely required. Some of the drivers ask him to put one on (and he does) and some don't care. Bear in mind, we live in a college town and cases are high here yet still masks are suggested but not required.

Uber's website says something like no mask, no rid and drivers should ask riders to maintain distance, like no passenger in the front seat. May be different in other areas, there's an option to change where the site thinks you are. Lyft says to wear mask and sit in the back.

Took Uber a few times in Ft. Myers area in June, drivers friendly and very glad for the business. all but one driver wore masks (as did we). We sat in back seat, although in truth I don't recall any requirements to keep the front seat open, although I'm sure there was. It was just not brought up to us or a issue.
Headed to MCO in about 10 days, plan on taking Uber at least 4 times and don't have any worries doing so.

Uber's website says something like no mask, no rid and drivers should ask riders to maintain distance, like no passenger in the front seat. May be different in other areas, there's an option to change where the site thinks you are. Lyft says to wear mask and sit in the back.
No, that's Uber's nationwide policy whether or not local regulations require masks. Drivers are required to wear masks, and riders are as well.

Riders are not allowed to sit in the front seat for social distancing reasons. And because of that, capacity is 3 for X and 5 for XL. The same is true for Lyft I believe.

Another change is that most drivers are not handling rider luggage, so expect to load it yourself.

All that said, drivers are "independent contractors" so there is undoubtedly some variance.

From what I've seen on driver social media, some drivers will take ANY ride because they are desperate for business (which would be a red flag for me... :rolleyes: ). Others keep their doors locked, crack the window and ask the rider to put on a mask, and drive away if the rider refuses. I don't drive any more, but if I did, I wouldn't even bother to ask -- I'd just drive away if a rider was not masked.

From what I've seen on driver social media, some drivers will take ANY ride because they are desperate for business

That's our main concern. I'm more than happy to order an XL for distancing and wear our masks but I know others won't.

I have taken quite a few Uber and Lyft over the last couple of days at Disney. All type of trips to parks and Disney springs. Driver has been wearing a mask every ride as well as me. Also we have sat in the front seat several times with no issues. Park transport has been tough

I would never have thought about using Uber/Lyft for transportation options. For those who have used it, how quick are they and what are general costs?

Last edited:
I would never have thought about using Uber/Lyft for transportation options. For those who have used it, how quick are they and what are general costs?

Prices vary. You can go to rideguru.com and plug in destinations and get some estimates.

FCDub's suggestion of rideguru above is a great place to start. You can also get fare estimates from either the Uber or Lyft websites.

Prior to actually ordering a ride, you will see an actual fare quote in the Uber or Lyft app for your specific ride. The vast majority of the time, that is the actual fare you pay. I recommend having both apps on your phones and checking both companies prior to ordering, because both use dynamic pricing and there can be a significant fare difference sometimes.

Also be aware that both companies run promotions, so check those before you actually set your app up to use. Also be aware that many promotions are market-specific. The first (and only) time I used Lyft was in Chicago, and once I left Chicago none of the promotional benefits applied.

How quick? REAL quick. If I order a taxi from home, my wait is 45-60 minutes. Uber is 2-3 minutes; Lyft would be 7-10 minutes. But that's in the suburbs of Miami. If I'm downtown, or over on South Beach, I can see several Uber logos within 100 yards no matter which direction I look -- they are everywhere!

Rideshare depends on "saturation" of both riders and drivers for its efficiency. In major cities, you are usually within just a couple of minutes from the nearest driver. Orlando is, of course, a major market -- so U/L cars are everywhere, and most drivers drive for both companies. This is not true everywhere, but in Orlando, there is probably little if any difference in pickup times between the two companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter