Uk trips during pandemic

Thunderbird

Earning My Ears
Hey Guys which places I can visit now in the UK from London using trains only suppose the trip will be by the end of Jun as the Lockdown eased ?? and recommendation and suggestion for best nature places to visit in the UK from London, I'm on Budget though ..thank you

Most places are not opening until around the 4th - 10th July. English heritage sights are partially open and will be open by the 10th.

Kent has some lovely beaches. Canterbury is fantastic to visit as a day trip ( I went to university there) but dont know how much will be open.. but St Augustines Place definitely is.

Herne bay and whitstable. Fish and chips on the beach.

Where are you travelling from though? If you are coming from abroad you will need to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Most places are not opening until around the 4th - 10th July. English heritage sights are partially open and will be open by the 10th.

Kent has some lovely beaches. Canterbury is fantastic to visit as a day trip ( I went to university there) but dont know how much will be open.. but St Augustines Place definitely is.

Herne bay and whitstable. Fish and chips on the beach.

Where are you travelling from though? If you are coming from abroad you will need to quarantine for 2 weeks.
Thank you for the advice, I am living in London, due to this COVID 19 I am considering Uk for holiday this, how about places in the north of the country, I heard that the lake district is amazing???

Hi Sorry,

Personally I don't really travel up north but yeah apparently it is stunning.

We absolutely adore the isle of wight in the south. We are looking to do:

1) IOW 2 weeks instead of disney in september - day in portsmouth etc.
2) Couple of days in Bath.
3) Alton Towers - Few Days - Not staying on site airbnb and actually getting some edible food. We have extended APs from last year.
4) Day trips to Thorpe Park and Chesington.
5) Lots of trips to English heritage sites in and around the south.
6) Visiting family in Wales and Devon.

Basically going to try and not be too sad about missing out on disney - even if we cant go next year always got 2022.

Hi Sorry,

Personally I don't really travel up north but yeah apparently it is stunning.

We absolutely adore the isle of wight in the south. We are looking to do:

1) IOW 2 weeks instead of disney in september - day in portsmouth etc.
2) Couple of days in Bath.
3) Alton Towers - Few Days - Not staying on site airbnb and actually getting some edible food. We have extended APs from last year.
4) Day trips to Thorpe Park and Chesington.
5) Lots of trips to English heritage sites in and around the south.
6) Visiting family in Wales and Devon.

Basically going to try and not be too sad about missing out on disney - even if we cant go next year always got 2022.
Thank you for your advice you gave me a lot of ideas

I have been to the Lake District many times as we are lucky enough to be able to do day trips from where we live. The downside is that you are talking around 5 hours on the train from Euston to London so will probably need an overnight stay. Many people are doing staycations this year so many be very busy especially in school holidays and prices for hotels at a premium this year especially. I know someone who works for well known UK cottage company and they are fully booked all year - for everywhere. I also go to Whitby and North York Moors regularly and drive which is gorgeous but again you are talking 5 hours minimum. Look at Trainline for cheap train deals.

Thank you for your advice, well most like to stay over the weekend maybe end of July, I know it's quite expensive and far but looks like it safer than Europe with COVID 19, I don't you really know, Whitby and North York moor looks great, thanks for showing me that I will consider them for sure

I have noticed that there is a big price increase this year for the IOW. I get that people are trying to recoup there losses and I dont mind paying a bit extra as I have saved my disney trip money anyway.

But what with EU bridges opening.. I can see a lot of people not bothering and just going on a cheap package holiday to Europe now and stay in their complex.

I hope they dont end up out pricing people as the island etc could do with the money I am guessing.

This was september and some prices were £300 more this year.

I have booked something now. But haven't technically booked it off work..so hoping that it is okay. Should be I was away from 16th and now I just need to change it to the 14th September. So it's only two days. Didn't even think about the fact that we would lose the cancellation fee. None of my colleagues are away at that time.. so should be fine!

Such a donut

As a Sussex/Kent lad I'd avoid the main beaches. Camber sands had ques of 4 hours to drive 2 miles. If you want a Disney fix may I suggest you explore some of the inspiration for Walt and his crew....

In East Sussex (50 miles from London) you could visit and do a Disney Inspired MiniTrip:

1. The real 100 acre wood (actually called 500 acre wood). Here you can see the real pooh sticks bridge and all the houses from the stories... Pooh's house is amazing and so is owls! - free with beautiful countryside a day trip from London.
  2. Just up the road in Cowhurst your find the home of Sherlock Holmes where his stories were written. (Ok not Disney 10 mins from pooh bridge carpark)
  3. Then head south, now you can't actually visit this place but it's kinda cool... Mary Poppins author wrote some of the books in her little country cottage! Visit the little town and see her cottage. (10 miles from crowhurst)
  4. Now my personal favourite (as it's near to me) is Bateman's (National Trust). See where Kipling lived and see original copies of the 'Jungle Book' in his modest house in the stunning Sussex countryside. If visiting watch the TV film 'my boy jack' which stars Daniel Radcliffe as his son during world war one. (Tissues required) (10 miles from Poppins).
  5. Need a castle to end the day? Then visit Bodiam castle... (10 mins from Bateman's) If you were a kid and had to draw a castle it would look like Bodiam... 4 towers surrounded by a massive moat. Now you can use the footpaths to venture around it for free but it's worth going inside this largely intact castle and climbing to the top to see the Rother valley.
If your interested I'll happily plot a map for you to show the locations. I'd do this as a 2 day trip. With add-ons including medieval Rye, Hastings and Battle (battle of 1066).

The real 100 acre wood (actually called 500 acre wood). Here you can see the real pooh sticks bridge and all the houses from the stories... Pooh's house is amazing and so is owls! - free with beautiful countryside a day trip from London.

This place. OMG I went here when i was a little kid. I have never been able to find any information on it - I was starting to think I made it up!

The real 100 acre wood (actually called 500 acre wood). Here you can see the real pooh sticks bridge and all the houses from the stories... Pooh's house is amazing and so is owls! - free with beautiful countryside a day trip from London.

This place. OMG I went here when i was a little kid. I have never been able to find any information on it - I was starting to think I made it up!

No it's all real. Ashdown forest in Sussex. It's not that popular with Brits. The biggest visiting numbers tend to be Japanese. So in these times it's got to be a place that's worth a quick trip. It's a very magical place.
Pooh Sticks Bridge
Here is the bridge... Park in pooh car park!
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5CBswFh1QrMGdbTP9

Do you have kids?
PGL family holidays might be a fun British alternative to Disney. They generally do school trips which isn't happening and residential kids camps which hasn't been given the go ahead for this summer and so would appreciate business.

It's basic accomodation and food but you get to do giant zip wires and other fun stuff.

We’re not generally a fan of uk holidays but had a great week in the Peak District - nice places to walk and lots to do with the kids - went into the mines, great museums indoor and outdoor.

Another good trip was to Warwick Castle and from there you can visit Cadbury World, Stratford upon Avon to see all things Shakespeare and Alton Towers

We’re not generally a fan of uk holidays but had a great week in the Peak District - nice places to walk and lots to do with the kids - went into the mines, great museums indoor and outdoor.

Another good trip was to Warwick Castle and from there you can visit Cadbury World, Stratford upon Avon to see all things Shakespeare and Alton Towers
Glad you enjoyed your trip. It all depends what your after. I can't believe we are in-store for 25 degrees on Tuesday! Beach ahoy (I live on the coast)

We have just spent 12 days camping and touring around dorset. Absolute brilliant holiday ( we had excellent weather)I may not have loved it quite so much if we didn't.

Spent lots of beach time at Weymouth during the hottest days , lovely calm bay, very shallow for some way out felt much safer for the children playing in the sea than other beaches, kayaks and watercraft to rent on the beach very cheaply.

Spent the evening visiting small harbour towns all along the coast.

If anyone is planning a trip to London, we did the Terrible Thames boat tour yesterday and loved it.
My daughter is a big horrible histories fan but we all thoroughly enjoyed it - wish it had been longer.

I came down from Scotland for 2 weeks in London and spent 3 days in Cambridge . Visited Kings College ( book in advance) and the museums and botanical gardens. Spent most of a day at IWM Duxfors air museum ( Concorde, Comet, US B52 Bomber and hundreds of other planes) and saw triplanes and biplanes flying.

Last edited:
We are going to chessington this coming Monday for the first time ever with our 5 year old, so I’m sure he will love it.

£100 after voucher for the 3 of us makes Disney looks reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!