Ultra Advice

@Keels Thanks for the shout-out and good luck to your friend at Leadville! That race is a classic. I'd love to hear how it goes.

@dragitoff Sounds like you've got a good idea of how to prepare for your ultra. Great description of trail running, too. I love it for those same reasons. Such a thrill to be running through the woods surrounded by nature. One more thing I forgot to mention, since you're in the South (like me) - ticks! Those little buggers are everywhere around here and it's probably the same around you. As soon as you're done, do a thorough check for those guys. They can be hard to spot, but you'll want to get rid of them as soon as you can. Good luck!

I had actually thought about that. We've got dogs and they occasionally pick one up so it made me think about them!

I have nothing to contribute in terms of an ultra but wanted to give a Dothan shoutout! My in laws live there and own the Pinch a Penny. Good luck with your pursuit of an ultra!

I have nothing to contribute in terms of an ultra but wanted to give a Dothan shoutout! My in laws live there and own the Pinch a Penny. Good luck with your pursuit of an ultra!

We've been in Dothan for a little over 3 months and we love it! if they need any real estate assistance, I'm their guy! I work at C21 James Grant Realty and also flip houses. lol

You should check out Sage Canaday (vo2maxproductions) on YouTube. He is a pro ultra runner with a lot of experience in a bunch of distances throughout his career from 5ks to 100 milers. He has a video on basically every running topic you could possibly imagine.

You should check out Sage Canaday (vo2maxproductions) on YouTube. He is a pro ultra runner with a lot of experience in a bunch of distances throughout his career from 5ks to 100 milers. He has a video on basically every running topic you could possibly imagine.

Thanks! I'll do that.

Oh man I just volunteered at an ultramarathon trail race (50k) and our aid station had gatorade, water, coca-cola, pickles, pretzels, sandwich cookies, fig newtons, gummy bears, potato chips, m&ms, clif shots, and pb&j sandwiches. Since a 50k is only slightly longer than a marathon a marathon training plan would suffice. It's more about endurance and sticking with it (mentality).

That being said, a kid ran the entire 50k without stopping and only used GUs he had pinned to his shorts. And another volunteer told me a runner for a 100-miler she was at used only tailwind and nothing else.

And another volunteer told me a runner for a 100-miler she was at used only tailwind and nothing else.
Since I changed to using Tailwind, I don't need anything else either. It has really helped me to battle the calf cramps due to losing so much sweat.

I'm intrigued about Tailwind. Sadly, I've never tried it. I may have to check into this magical product.

I'm intrigued about Tailwind. Sadly, I've never tried it. I may have to check into this magical product.

I really liked it when I tried it out in training. Unfortunately, I hate handhelds and haven't been able to figure out a reasonable way to carry enough to support me through an entire marathon so I've had to put it on the back burner.

I really liked it when I tried it out in training. Unfortunately, I hate handhelds and haven't been able to figure out a reasonable way to carry enough to support me through an entire marathon so I've had to put it on the back burner.

Since I ran keto for a year, I got accustomed to wearing a backpack/vest and bladder to carry my own water/sugar-free (low carb) sports drink. If it's liquid, I'm good to go. Just bought a brand new vest that holds more than enough fluids for even an ultra.

Since I ran keto for a year, I got accustomed to wearing a backpack/vest and bladder to carry my own water/sugar-free (low carb) sports drink. If it's liquid, I'm good to go. Just bought a brand new vest that holds more than enough fluids for even an ultra.

That would most likely work. I've got a number of vests and different capacity bladders, and have considered going that route as well. I just like the freedom of running without a lot of stuff hanging off of me during a race and thus far the bulk of 5-6 Huma gels has trumped the bulk of a 1.5-2L vest.

That is what I do for summer running is Georgia. Put on my camelbak. I'd prefer not to, but I liked it better then a belt or something like that. Still a better option then getting dehydrated in the georgia sun.

That is what I do for summer running is Georgia. Put on my camelbak. I'd prefer not to, but I liked it better then a belt or something like that. Still a better option then getting dehydrated in the georgia sun.

I just moved from Albany, GA to Dothan, AL so I feel ya! I just ordered some of the single serve pouches and the larger multi-serving bag to try out on some of my upcoming long runs. I had found a pre-workout powder I was using last year that worked amazing, but it caused all kinds of other problems for me. It was extremely high doses of caffeine so I went with the non-caffeinated versions of Tailwind just in case.

I just moved from Albany, GA to Dothan, AL so I feel ya! I just ordered some of the single serve pouches and the larger multi-serving bag to try out on some of my upcoming long runs. I had found a pre-workout powder I was using last year that worked amazing, but it caused all kinds of other problems for me. It was extremely high doses of caffeine so I went with the non-caffeinated versions of Tailwind just in case.

Post how well those work.

One thing I do that I've learned from the past is I'll put my camelbak in the freezer the night before. Then when I take it out on a run the run and heat will melt the ice as I go and the result is I have nice cold water for most if not all of the run.

It's wonderful stuff. Gives you all the fuel, salt, and electrolytes you need in an easily digestible form. Plus, you can mix it to whatever strength/calorie level you need.

I think you've mentioned before that you have mixed it extra strength and then used water on the side. I like the idea of trying Tailwind (My body may need a new, non caffeinated fuel,) but I have basically been a gel girl and don't like the idea of relying on all-liquid for fuel. How strong have you mixed this and still made it work?

Post how well those work.

One thing I do that I've learned from the past is I'll put my camelbak in the freezer the night before. Then when I take it out on a run the run and heat will melt the ice as I go and the result is I have nice cold water for most if not all of the run.

I definitely will. I'm about a month out from starting my ultra training program, which is only 10 miles first week, but I may try out one of the packets with my hand held bottles on a 10-12 mile run in the weekends leading up to that training program starting. I can't stand doing a short-mile week unless it's a recovery week or a taper week.

I think you've mentioned before that you have mixed it extra strength and then used water on the side. I like the idea of trying Tailwind (My body may need a new, non caffeinated fuel,) but I have basically been a gel girl and don't like the idea of relying on all-liquid for fuel. How strong have you mixed this and still made it work?

For biking, I mix a 500-800 calorie bottle, which is enough to last me 3-4 hours if I sip some every 15-20 minutes. For running, I mix 600 calories and divide it into 2 bottles on my fuel belt. I use the other two bottles for water. I sip Tailwind every 30 minutes and water whenever needed since it's easy to refill.

A thread on ultra running!!! @dragitoff good luck, I am psyched for you. Though currenlty sitting on the bench with a bum ankle I have shifted my focus to ultras over the past few years. I have found the ultra running community to be welcoming and fun and the races to be laid back and supportive. To this point I have completed 3 - 50k’s, 2 - 50 milers and 3 - 12 hour races. It has been a steep learning curve at times but so awesome. I am still really just a novice at this so I am not sure I have too much to offer that has not been shared. But I would really encourage getting onto the trails as much as you can, try to find trails that mimic your race - is it hilly, is the trail technical, winding, water crossing, what is the surface like - compact dirt, soft sand, rocky, is it woodsy (is this a word?) or out in the open. Maybe it is a bit of all of the above? I found that the more I got comfortable with the conditions before a race the more success I had in the race.

Others have talked about hydration, food, etc. I agree that dialing this stuff in through long runs will help. But I have found the aid stations to almost have anything you could need. I do really like Tailwind and to that I simply bring some Shot Bloks and then pick off the aid station tables. I would encourage you to think about footwear. Only my opinion but I have found that terrain and shoe really need to match. There are some great trail shoes. I ran my first 50K in my street shoes and slipped all over the place. It was a very wet and muddy course. Since then I have transitioned to shoes that I feel give me more control/traction and treat my feet well.

The only other thing I would add is what a friend told me - for an ultra “start slow and then slow down”. Again, just my opinion but if the race provides lots of elevation, challenging surfaces, etc. A 50K will feel like a lot more than a marathon + 5 more miles. Pacing is everything. Anyway, sorry for writing a small novel, I get very excited about ultra. Good luck and enjoy the trails!

A thread on ultra running!!! @dragitoff good luck, I am psyched for you. Though currenlty sitting on the bench with a bum ankle I have shifted my focus to ultras over the past few years. I have found the ultra running community to be welcoming and fun and the races to be laid back and supportive. To this point I have completed 3 - 50k’s, 2 - 50 milers and 3 - 12 hour races. It has been a steep learning curve at times but so awesome. I am still really just a novice at this so I am not sure I have too much to offer that has not been shared. But I would really encourage getting onto the trails as much as you can, try to find trails that mimic your race - is it hilly, is the trail technical, winding, water crossing, what is the surface like - compact dirt, soft sand, rocky, is it woodsy (is this a word?) or out in the open. Maybe it is a bit of all of the above? I found that the more I got comfortable with the conditions before a race the more success I had in the race.

Others have talked about hydration, food, etc. I agree that dialing this stuff in through long runs will help. But I have found the aid stations to almost have anything you could need. I do really like Tailwind and to that I simply bring some Shot Bloks and then pick off the aid station tables. I would encourage you to think about footwear. Only my opinion but I have found that terrain and shoe really need to match. There are some great trail shoes. I ran my first 50K in my street shoes and slipped all over the place. It was a very wet and muddy course. Since then I have transitioned to shoes that I feel give me more control/traction and treat my feet well.

The only other thing I would add is what a friend told me - for an ultra “start slow and then slow down”. Again, just my opinion but if the race provides lots of elevation, challenging surfaces, etc. A 50K will feel like a lot more than a marathon + 5 more miles. Pacing is everything. Anyway, sorry for writing a small novel, I get very excited about ultra. Good luck and enjoy the trails!

All the comments are certainly welcome. Despite completing multiple half and full marathons and Dopey earlier this year, this still feels very new to me, so I'm not discounting any advice. I have two pairs of trail running shoes I'm currently getting acclimated to. For longer runs, I'm running in Hoka Speedgoat and for shorter ones, I've got a pair of On Cloudventure. The Hokas offer more cushioning, but the On feels more responsive. I bought a new hydration vest and tested it out on a 10 miler this past weekend. The trails I chose to test it out on were highly technical with quite a bit of elevation change. That 10 miler felt like a marathon when I was done so I definitely see a lot of work this summer ahead of me getting adjusted to the type of running a trail brings. It's like anything else, you've got to train for it. It isn't easy at first, but gets easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter