Underrated Disney characters?

Ok people. This is underrated characters, not underrated movies. If a movie is underrated, clearly everyone in it is underrated as well. An example, Oliver from Oliver & Company. Great film, overshadowed by the success of Little Mermaid. ZERO park presence. In 1988, he had a brief parade float, but Mickey's birthday was more important, so it quickly was gone. No merch. Like, once a decade, there may be a plush, may be a pin.

Marie - NOT underrated. Aristocats had their own gift shop in Fantasyland when the park opened in 1971. You can find Marie merch absolutely everywhere these days, even outside the parks. She even had her own meet & greet. There ALMOST was a sequel where she would be one a major character. But what about her brothers? They shared the exact same amount of screen time as her. In the 90s, you saw less of Marie, but when you did, you saw her brothers too. I have the pins to prove it. They were all equals.

Characters from movies that have sequels. Not underrated. Tarzan, Bambi, Cinderella... ...if your "underrated" character was in more than one movie, he's not over rated. Example: Figaro, no Pinocchio sequel, but various movies where he is Minnie Mouses cat. He's been in various cartoon shorts, even cameos... ...yet, unlike Marie, who was a bit character in ONE movie, he had no meet and greet, and very little merchandise compared to her.

Characters from underrated films that had a park presence: Hunchback had his very own stage show. Petes dragon, if we ignore the reboot, had/has his own parade float that has the most exposure than any other movies parade float, at least those not included in MSEP. The Sword in the Stone... ...park presence is, well, a sword in a stone (and anvil). No characters. Merlin used to show up occasionally, but not really any more. So any of these characters, yes. Underrated.

My submission - Oswald the VERY Lucky Rabbit. It all began with a mouse... ...but there would be no Mickey if there were no Oswald. He is 90 years old. So far, his contributions, a few shorts in the 20s (I refuse to see him as the same character once Disney and Iwerks lost control) and the two Epic Mickey video games. Where is he in the parks? He's there, but extremely rare. DCA gave him a home, and thankfully there is some merchandise. But really, a character who basically was Mickey and Donald rolled up into one, a character that inspired Walt to go into business for himself... SEVERELY underrated.

Kala from Tarzan is my favorite character in the DAF world. I ended up having to make a custom T-shirt with her on it. What I would REALLY love is a Kala stuffed animal because I'll bet she gives the best hugs!

One thing that really bugged me on my last trip was the friend I was with kept complaining that there wasn't enough Stitch stuff in the parks. I was flabbergasted.

Brer Fox and Brer Bear! I remember seeing Song of the South at a Drive In as a kid. Now that's a classic, too bad I couldn't get the movie but I read the book to my kids.
We ordered the movie from Japan for my father several years ago.

I'm weird and happen to really like the characters from the Black Cauldron. I mean is this not still the cutest Disney kiss ever?
b1b724ac2dc0d4d1297a867a09d3aaf7.gif

(Consequently Susan Sheridan the voice of Princess Eilonwy just died a couple days ago. She was only 68.) :(

What?? Why am I the last to know?

I'd say Jim Hawkins from Treasure Planet! He's one of my favorite Disney Characters as I can relate to him so much!

I love The Emperor's New Groove, I wish they had any merchandise. I need a Kuzco llama plush!

I absolutely LOVE The Emperor's New Groove!! Some of the most underrated characters in Disney!! Yzma is my very favorite villain. I also feel that Edna Mode needs to be represented in the parks. She is one of my very favorite Disney characters (behind Stitch and Tinkerbell, of course).

Marie - NOT underrated. Aristocats had their own gift shop in Fantasyland when the park opened in 1971. You can find Marie merch absolutely everywhere these days, even outside the parks. She even had her own meet & greet. There ALMOST was a sequel where she would be one a major character. But what about her brothers? They shared the exact same amount of screen time as her. In the 90s, you saw less of Marie, but when you did, you saw her brothers too. I have the pins to prove it. They were all equals.

Especially in Japan, Marie isn't underrated at all. I would bank on her being one of the top 10 most popular characters in Disney lore to the Japanese. One fine example is lolita brand Angelic Pretty. They have been releasing many Marie related items recently.

This is one of their most recent coordinates, Let's Play Hide and Seek: Source
Another one of their more recent and popular ones, Kiss Me Cat: Source
Aristocats never seemed like a popular movie, but it certainly has some sort of cult following. It's a shame the other characters never got the love Marie got, even in the US.

I love me some Mr. Ray! I am always looking for pics of him I can put on a shirt.

The Emperors New Groove and Ratatouille are two of my favourite Disney films. I would love to see more of Kronk and Remi around

Every single character from patf deserves more love, but Tiana most of all. Why, why, why, is there no Tiana's Palace restaurant in any of the parks? We needed two batb themed restaurants in new fantasyland, but nothing patf themed? She literally opens a restaurant! Give us the restaurant, disney!!!

The Emperors New Groove and Ratatouille are two of my favourite Disney films. I would love to see more of Kronk and Remi around

Brother Bear comes to mind. I thought it was a very good story.

Max from The Goofy Movie. I think he is very funny and a great side kick to Goofy.

Every single character from patf deserves more love, but Tiana most of all. Why, why, why, is there no Tiana's Palace restaurant in any of the parks? We needed two batb themed restaurants in new fantasyland, but nothing patf themed? She literally opens a restaurant! Give us the restaurant, disney!!!

All of this!

There's the Tiana Riverboat dessert party, but I wish they would open Tiana's Place. She's a very underrated princess. Worked two jobs, had a dream, achieved her business goals, smart and driven. That's more inspiring than the classical princesses (and I know - they were a product of their time, some slack is warranted), so I wish she got more attention.

ETA: PATF is basically the star of Port Orleans Riverside, but I want Tiana's Place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!