Underrated Disney Movies

I don't know if this counts as underrated, but, "Song of the South" is very disrespected despite it being a very good film that depicts an old southern black person as a hero. I know I'll face backlash over this, but it's ok. I'll try not to take it personally. :)

I don't know if this counts as underrated, but, "Song of the South" is very disrespected despite it being a very good film that depicts an old southern black person as a hero. I know I'll face backlash over this, but it's ok. I'll try not to take it personally. :)

It's not so much the content of the film itself, but more of it's basis. Yes, Uncle REmus is portrayed in a positive light, but that is a perpetuation of stereotypes meant ot make the freed slaves seem non-threatening, in the sense that they weren't competition and that if they keep to their place they everything will be okay. So, there are problems with it. That said, there is also the consideration that the idea that a former slave could not posssibly have been happy in that situation is a very narrow way of thinking - happiness is a state of mind and can be achieved despite dissatisfaction with other aspects of life - but that's getting into deeper thoughts than are germaine to this film. Honestly, I'm not really sure I'd call it a very good film - it's mediocre if anything, which is why it's probably not worth rehabilitating anyway.

It's not so much the content of the film itself, but more of it's basis. Yes, Uncle REmus is portrayed in a positive light, but that is a perpetuation of stereotypes meant ot make the freed slaves seem non-threatening, in the sense that they weren't competition and that if they keep to their place they everything will be okay. So, there are problems with it. That said, there is also the consideration that the idea that a former slave could not posssibly have been happy in that situation is a very narrow way of thinking - happiness is a state of mind and can be achieved despite dissatisfaction with other aspects of life - but that's getting into deeper thoughts than are germaine to this film. Honestly, I'm not really sure I'd call it a very good film - it's mediocre if anything, which is why it's probably not worth rehabilitating anyway.
Yea. My problem isn't that Song of the South does or does not perpetuate stereotypes. My problem is Disney and every other movie company and book publisher if they take positions like this will constantly be banning their own content as society changes its viewpoints on how things "should" be portrayed as years go by. A movie about a British diplomat in India with a Indian friend of the family will be banned by a movie company because an Indian couldn't really possibly be an actual friend with a british diplomat. Movies made today with how they portray things 40 years from now will be looked at differently through a cultural lens. All movie companies and writers today can do is try and learn from mistakes in the past but they won't ever be 100 percent perfect because no one knows how the world will culturally look at things in 50 years. Self banning what you did in the past does no one any good. Just my opinion.

Maybe I think it was good due to nostalgia. I still watch it once a year and enjoy it... I have it on DVD :) If you get it, then you get the smile.

Yea. My problem isn't that Song of the South does or does not perpetuate stereotypes. My problem is Disney and every other movie company and book publisher if they take positions like this will constantly be banning their own content as society changes its viewpoints on how things "should" be portrayed as years go by. A movie about a British diplomat in India with a Indian friend of the family will be banned by a movie company because an Indian couldn't really possibly be an actual friend with a british diplomat. Movies made today with how they portray things 40 years from now will be looked at differently through a cultural lens. All movie companies and writers today can do is try and learn from mistakes in the past but they won't ever be 100 percent perfect because no one knows how the world will culturally look at things in 50 years. Self banning what you did in the past does no one any good. Just my opinion.

That much is certianly true. I don't really believe in the suppression of material at all, though I can understand why Disney is hesitant to market/monetize it. I think it is more beneficial to see the past so that we can learn from it, the good parts and the ugly parts - Song of the South demonstrates a bit of both. The context is what is important.

That much is certianly true. I don't really believe in the suppression of material at all, though I can understand why Disney is hesitant to market/monetize it. I think it is more beneficial to see the past so that we can learn from it, the good parts and the ugly parts - Song of the South demonstrates a bit of both. The context is what is important.
Yea I mean ultimately its the companies decision to censor itself. I get that to a point. I personally think that Disney and other companies can better use a movie like Song of the South as a tool to educate people about what they were thinking, why they were thinking what they were, and how it was wrong. Instead of sweeping it under the rug. Because I don't know where you draw the line ultimately and I am sure Disney doesnt either. I think we could all go through almost any film and pick out something that perpetuates a stereotype about a group of people. Or characterizes the actions of a person with not being realistic for the times. Yes Slavery was the biggest sin in this countries history. But there are many other ones. And Disney and other comapnies will end up chasing their own tails in order not to offend anyone. Which as time moves on and cultural norms change its impossible. Use these things to educate to make a better future not try and act like they don't exist. Ahhhh well. I mean in reality we are facing much bigger problems right now in this country( and world) than Disney not showing song of the south. But still its an interesting conversation.

Yea I mean ultimately its the companies decision to censor itself. I get that to a point. I personally think that Disney and other companies can better use a movie like Song of the South as a tool to educate people about what they were thinking, why they were thinking what they were, and how it was wrong. Instead of sweeping it under the rug. Because I don't know where you draw the line ultimately and I am sure Disney doesnt either. I think we could all go through almost any film and pick out something that perpetuates a stereotype about a group of people. Or characterizes the actions of a person with not being realistic for the times. Yes Slavery was the biggest sin in this countries history. But there are many other ones. And Disney and other comapnies will end up chasing their own tails in order not to offend anyone. Which as time moves on and cultural norms change its impossible. Use these things to educate to make a better future not try and act like they don't exist. Ahhhh well. I mean in reality we are facing much bigger problems right now in this country( and world) than Disney not showing song of the south. But still its an interesting conversation.

I definitely agree. It may have been problematic int he past to sell a tape or DVD as it would be seen as monetizing it, but with streaming platforms today they could come up with a way to talk about the material without it looking like it is for-profit. That said, I'm not sure there is really much call for that so I can also see it not being considered a high priority.

OMG I MISSED THESE FILMS! This just unlocked a memory from my childhood. I loved Atlantis, Brother Bear and The Aristocats, but Treasure Planet was definitely my favorite when I was a young. Treasure Planet's story line was unlike any other Disney film. Totally unique concept and the story itself is so good!

OMG I MISSED THESE FILMS! This just unlocked a memory from my childhood. I loved Atlantis, Brother Bear and The Aristocats, but Treasure Planet was definitely my favorite when I was a young. Treasure Planet's story line was unlike any other Disney film. Totally unique concept and the story itself is so good!

Well, the story is pretty similar to a couple of previous Disney films, Treasure Island and Muppet Treasure Island. ;) It is indeed a beautiful movie.

Well, the story is pretty similar to a couple of previous Disney films, Treasure Island and Muppet Treasure Island. ;) It is indeed a beautiful movie.
Right, but the characters were so unique to me especially as a child 😊 it has humans, aliens, animals, robots, cyborgs. Totally loved it!

Mine has to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame ❤. I don't know if it's classed as underrated to the masses, but most people i have spoken to about the film have either never seen it or just didn't take to it as they perceived it as dark and twisty. I personally fell in love with this classic when it came out back in 1996. I remember seeing the live adaption in the MGM park in the 90's and could not stop listening to the soundtrack. A few mentions from this thread i totally also agree with, Brother Bear, Song of the South and Atlantis.

Lots of the Disney Sunday Movies. They're pretty hard to find too. I really like Beyond Witch Mountain. Last Electric Knight was also good.

Last edited:
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983). Such a good movie. Thoroughly disappointed that it is not on Disney + nor is it being added in October either. Stars Jason Robards and a young Jonathan Pryce, who would later return to DIsney as Governor Swann in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

"Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983). Such a good movie. Thoroughly disappointed that it is not on Disney + nor is it being added in October either. Stars Jason Robards and a young Jonathan Pryce, who would later return to DIsney as Governor Swann in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

That's a very underrated one and is a very good adaptation.

Mine has to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame ❤. I don't know if it's classed as underrated to the masses, but most people i have spoken to about the film have either never seen it or just didn't take to it as they perceived it as dark and twisty. I personally fell in love with this classic when it came out back in 1996. I remember seeing the live adaption in the MGM park in the 90's and could not stop listening to the soundtrack. A few mentions from this thread i totally also agree with, Brother Bear, Song of the South and Atlantis.

It kinda went over my head when it first came out (I was 9), but it's one of my favorites now as you can probably tell from my avatar. I did love the Festival of Fools at DLR (I still have confetti from it somewhere) and the Hunchback show at MGM even as a kid, though. The music is fantastic.

Meet the Robinsons is super underrated to the point of being essentially forgotten. It's such a cute movie.

I am weird I like cats and dogs both equally. Hehe. I will say music is better in Aristocats than either 101 or Lady, just my taste though.
Yeah, I enjoy the songs in the Aristocats too but cannot figure out why they cut out "She Never Felt Alone." I really love that song.

It kinda went over my head when it first came out (I was 9), but it's one of my favorites now as you can probably tell from my avatar. I did love the Festival of Fools at DLR (I still have confetti from it somewhere) and the Hunchback show at MGM even as a kid, though. The music is fantastic.

Meet the Robinsons is super underrated to the point of being essentially forgotten. It's such a cute movie.

I am so happy to hear someone else appreciate and love The Hunchback of Notre Dame! The music score needs to be more appreciated. I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons for awhile, i am so going to watch it on Disney+ Tomorrow night :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter