Unimpressed with California Grill

Emmafleur

Mouseketeer
I was so excited to go on my birthday. The view was spectacular- for a moment. Then we were taken into an adjoining type room off the main restaurant and to the side of the kitchens with views out to the back of the lake - overlooking well, nothing except water. Our table was also the only one in the middle of the room so felt a bit odd. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful about the menu except he told us that there was a different steak that wasn’t on the menu which we could order. It all got very confusing as he didn’t describe it well and where we’ve were was very noisy and he spoke very quietly. My daughter and I decided to go with his recommendation of the steak that wasn’t on the menu but when it came out it was exactly what was on the menu (one that my daughter especially didn’t want). When we asked if he’d perhaps misunderstood our order he insisted that it was different. Ummm, no it wasn’t as someone else in our party had the steak off the menu. Anyway, my daughter ended up hardly eating hers and it kind of spoilt the night. My family had organised a beautiful cake for me too, which the waiter brought out and just plonked in front of me. I found the whole experience a little underwhelming. The fireworks were amazing and we had dessert afterwards, so it was nice not to feel rushed. I just felt a little cheated, I guess, by being in a little offshoot of the restaurant with nothing to look at meaning we could have been dining anywhere. I don’t think I’d bother going there again for a meal. Such a lot of trouble to get a reservation too. What a shame.

I am not a fan of this place for dinner. I've been twice and both times were not good so we will never go back. It sounds like you were in one of their private event rooms, I didn't know they sat people in there normally.

Their brunch however is amazing and I recommend giving it a try.

I had brunch and dinner booked for my trip and February. I cancelled the dinner and booked Jiko instead. I haven’t loved dinners here in the past. I was only going to give it a try again as I thought I was going to be staying st CR, but switched to AKL instead.

I had the best meal here last week! Very memorable. My food was so good. They have such a great wine selection, good drinks. My server was top notch. This was only my second time here, but I got the signature experience both times. Will be back for sure.

It was our favorite restaurant in the "world" up until about 2 years ago. Something definitely changed and not for the better. After our last 2 trips there and our disappointments we will not go back. Sad.

It was very good for dinner back in a September 2018. We had an amazing view and the food was great. Although our waiter did forgot to add our AP discount after saying he would.

An interesting review. My daughter wants to go there on our 2021 trip, she really enjoyed it on the 2018 trip. You sound a lot nicer than me. I have no issues whatsoever in using my best Marine Command Voice and telling them to fix something. For the cost you deserve the best service and food.

We loved CG. It was one of our favourite spots. We were fortunate to know it in the few years it was first open and the executive chef ran it as though it were his own. During the past few years, it has become rather hit or miss. Two of our last three meals here have been either forgettable or downright terrible. While we haven't tried brunch at the CG, I believe that it is now a much better experience. We won't return for dinner, though. If I want to hear yelling and eat expensive and incorrectly cooked food, I'll stay in my own kitchen.

We had a horrible meal there. The sushi was a joke and at almost $30 for a California roll, they should be ashamed. Rice was cold and sticky...Artificial crab. Reminded me of the to go plastic packages they sell in grocery stores. The entrees were luke warm and unforgettable and the service was laughable. The waiter basically wanted nothing to do with us because we didn't order a bottle of wine. Won't be back.

We had a fantastic meal there in November. The spicy kazan sushi roll was incredible. When they were seating us it was going to be away from the park view as well and we asked if we could wait and have a seat closer. They said no problem but it may be about 15 minutes which we said was fine. It only took about 2 minutes and they sat us next to the window. This was in the evening though so that option may not have been available closer to the fireworks. We are going again in April and can't wait. I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't a good one but I wouldn't give up on the place.

Wow, some of the negative reviews on here make me a bit sad. I hope it didn't go downhill. We ate here on our honeymoon in 2011 & it was wonderful! We were seated in the wine room, which was way more intimate and quieter than the main room. We also had a wonderful view of Illuminations from our table which we did not expect to see! We went out on the rooftop viewing area for Wishes fireworks with piped in music and that was pretty amazing as well. Our server was great and the food was delicious.

This was before the major refurb they had when there were rumors it was going to be completely reimagined....

I was so excited to go on my birthday. The view was spectacular- for a moment. Then we were taken into an adjoining type room off the main restaurant and to the side of the kitchens with views out to the back of the lake - overlooking well, nothing except water. Our table was also the only one in the middle of the room so felt a bit odd. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful about the menu except he told us that there was a different steak that wasn’t on the menu which we could order. It all got very confusing as he didn’t describe it well and where we’ve were was very noisy and he spoke very quietly. My daughter and I decided to go with his recommendation of the steak that wasn’t on the menu but when it came out it was exactly what was on the menu (one that my daughter especially didn’t want). When we asked if he’d perhaps misunderstood our order he insisted that it was different. Ummm, no it wasn’t as someone else in our party had the steak off the menu. Anyway, my daughter ended up hardly eating hers and it kind of spoilt the night. My family had organised a beautiful cake for me too, which the waiter brought out and just plonked in front of me. I found the whole experience a little underwhelming. The fireworks were amazing and we had dessert afterwards, so it was nice not to feel rushed. I just felt a little cheated, I guess, by being in a little offshoot of the restaurant with nothing to look at meaning we could have been dining anywhere. I don’t think I’d bother going there again for a meal. Such a lot of trouble to get a reservation too. What a shame.
Our first time dining there was in that room. I completely agree how disappointing it is to be seated in that room. We, unfortunately, had a lousy waiter, and other than the delicious food and amazing fireworks viewing, it was a less than stellar experience.

Three years later, we were encouraged by many to try again, so we did.

This time, we were seated near windows in the main room in an excellent location. Our waiter couldn't have gone more out of her way to make us happy. It was an unforgettable evening. I have the photos posted on my refrigerator as a daily reminder of that wonderful dinner on that magical night.

Give it another chance...

We enjoyed a great meal and experience at CG in May 2018. It was a Thursday night and we had an 8:45pm reservation. It was crowded but not overly noisy. When we checked-in we were going to be seated immediately but when the hostess started walking us around the bar to the far south side of the restaurant, I asked if we could wait for a table at least on the north side if not by the windows. She was polite and said it may be a wait. We weren't in a hurry and there were 2 seats open at the bar and the fireworks were going to begin anyway. So we grabbed a couple drinks and went outside to view the fireworks. It was perfect! When we came back into the restaurant, we waited about 5 minutes at the bar and was seated at a great table. Food was delicious! My DH, the self admitted food snob, really enjoyed his meal. Service was friendly and not rushed, especially considering we were there so late.

I have booked CG for my birthday dinner when we return in August. This time it's an early evening ADR so that we can go back into the MK for the dessert party for my birthday.

I would encourage you to give it another shot too!

We have been every trip and we always have a great time. I'm so sorry you didn't. I would give it another chance. Sounds like there were some communication issues with ordering etc. If your daughter was unhappy with her food, always say something if she thought it was going to be different.

Also, to the PP who said the California roll was imitation crab...that's a California roll. :) 9 times out of 10 they use imitation crab. Exactly why I don't order them unless it says lump crab.

Always love it. Going again in two days. The cheese tray and the spicy Kazan roll, both of which I love. And the wine list, while pricey, is excellent. We have sat next to window, in the middle and in a booth next to bar. Since the kids go outside for fireworks on the balcony anyway, it never bothers me. I have asked for window table and after a short wait, gotten it. I have also found the service to be excellent. In my case, they are very accommodating. All it takes is a smile and a kind not crabby request. My husband is never afraid to ask for a better table. If you don’t like something you just speak up and I have found them to be great about it. We have gotten a free birthday dessert and they have always brought s candle st least but I dont expect a big deal there, it is too busy. Sorry they didn’t meet your expectations but it is on the client to speak up about seating or anything else.

We ate there 2 years ago for the first time and had a lovely dinner. We were seated near a window about 15 minutes before fireworks. Our server put our appetizers in right away so we could eat them before fireworks. Even though we were near a window, we still went outside to the deck to watch. Not long after we came back in, the mains were served. Our server was fantastic and she timed everything perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!