Universal at Christmas 2020- Amazing or Awful??

emarie

Earning My Ears
Universal newbie here- we are a family of 5 with kids ages 14, 11, and 7. We had an epic trip planned for June of this year to Disney which clearly didn't happen :( . I have been looking at going to Universal for a few years as we are all Harry Potter and ride fans, but it was too costly to add on to our Disney trip. Fast forward to now when I'm trying to cautiously plan another trip and Disney is crazy expensive for December, but there are decent deals for Universal. We would stay at RPR or HRH to get express passes and would likely go sometime between 12/17-12/24 with 4 day park to park passes.

Here's my question: for those who have been over the holidays or any really busy time- are the lines still terrible with the express pass? I know no one has a crystal ball for what this year will be like! I would never think about going over Christmas any other year, but the price is right for this year and I'd love to plan a fun surprise for the kids-all refundable if COVID takes a turn for the worse of course...😬

We've been to Universal twice at Thanksgiving (Sat-Wed). We had EPs both times and are very glad we did. While the lines were short most of the time, there were a couple days (where the EP lines got over 45 minutes in the afternoon for the popular rides. We just left the park for a late lunch and a nap at the hotel. Having the hotel so close was fantastic.

With Covid, it is hard to say what things will look like crowd-wise. But with 4 days of EPs, if you go into the parks in the mornings, you should be able to ride everything multiple times.

https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/december-2020/
Well, if you go by one of the crowd calendars, the 17th and 18th would be good days to visit but it does get very crowded starting on the 19th. Who knows what capacity will be like then, however? I think it’s safe to say that weekends and holidays are always going to be more busy, pandemic or no pandemic.

Having an express pass does help a great deal. We were there this year during Presidents’ Day week on a day that was rated “six” on the crowd calendar, and we were able to do most everything we wanted to, but still sometimes the lines even in the express pass were 30 minutes. (I’m looking at you, Minions!)

https://www.*****************.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/december-2020/
Well, if you go by one of the crowd calendars, the 17th and 18th would be good days to visit but it does get very crowded starting on the 19th. Who knows what capacity will be like then, however? I think it’s safe to say that weekends and holidays are always going to be more busy, pandemic or no pandemic.

Having an express pass does help a great deal. We were there this year during Presidents’ Day week on a day that was rated “six” on the crowd calendar, and we were able to do most everything we wanted to, but still sometimes the lines even in the express pass were 30 minutes. (I’m looking at you, Minions!)
OK clearly this board blocks the crowd calendar I was trying to post but you can Google Orlando crowd calendar and find it easily ;)

We've been twice at Christmas, both times the week leading up to Christmas, with EP and it's fine. There are still some waits in EP lines, but they go pretty fast. I'd rather be there in mid-September with EP, but we're limited to the 'non-school' season, too.

We've spent Christmas day at Universal- each day leading up to that, the crowds increase. We've always left on the 26th, and just the lobby of the hotel feels so much more crowded that day than the previous days.

We went last Christmas and were there 12/23, MK at WDW 12/24, then to Tampa to visit family and came back 12/27-29 and stayed at Royal Pacific with Express passes. This was our first time visiting UO. It was me, DH and DD13.

We pretty much did everything we wanted (didn't do Rocket, Hagrids, and Hulk) and then some. It was super busy but with the EPs it was very manageable.
The day we didn't have EP and stayed off property (12/23) we got to IoA at open rode Forbidden Journey x2, Hippogriff, Olivanders (we didn't try for Hagrids on that trip) and a few other rides in the morning and then did what we could the rest of the day eventually making it to Studios for a few rides before we left at 4. With social distancing measures, not sure what this year will bring during the holidays like you said...but I agree with PP if you go in the mornings, you'll get a lot done.

We did go back and stayed at Royal Pacific again with the EPs in August for three days (I know not exactly comparable with Christmas) and easily avoided crowds. Rode Hagrids twice. Weekends were kind of busy, so we bailed on our last day which was a Saturday (after jumping over to WDW for a few days, we had been at UO the Sunday before). If it was a regular year non-pandemic, it wouldn't have felt busy but weekends at all theme parks were beyond our comfort level at that point.

Thank you all for the responses- very helpful! Now to decide if we are crazy enough travel during the holidays in the middle of a pandemic...😆

I have not gone during Xmas but I did go three years ago on Thanksgiving week just like a previous poster (Mon-Wed before Tgiving). We stayed at RPR so had Express passes. Glad we did. Lines were pretty long without them, so it was nice to basically be able to ride whatever we wanted whenever (though even with an EP, you can wait up to 30 or so minutes depending on the crowds).

We are going again this Thanksgiving week, on the same days, staying at RPR again! Not sure how things will be different with the COVID capacity limits.

Haven't been at Christmas, but did do Thanksgiving, 2018, VERY busy. Stayed at Hard rock, so had express, and definitely needed it. Diagon Alley was packe,d we had to hold onto each other. Line for Florians was way out the door and wrapped around. That said, we LOVED it. They had the Christmas decorations up, and Universal such a great job at the holidays. I would recommend getting to parks early, and if you want to do wand experiences, do that early in the AM. noticed lines at several wand locations all through the afternoon. We were totally able to do everything we wanted, and multiple rides, with express. Also had some issues with places to eat at popular times, so eat early/off times. We left the parks to eat lunch on CW, and that worked out great. or grab a quick bite, then eat on CW like at 4 or 5. No idea if they'll do any shows this year, or what crowds may look like, crazy times. I would still love to be US/IoA at the holidays. Decorations and atmosphere are great!! Have fun!!!

Last edited:
This year will (hopefully) be our 5th Thanksgiving week at Univeral. We stay at the HRH. The Christmas decorations and events are great. The crowds are very heavy though, especially in the HP worlds. The ride lines are generally long. I wouldn’t even consider going without express pass. Also, reservations are pretty much a must at the City Walk restaurants if you want to eat during prime dinner time. Overall, we love it but can totally understand how others may not due to the crowds.

Thank you all for the responses- very helpful! Now to decide if we are crazy enough travel during the holidays in the middle of a pandemic...😆
Have you done any traveling up to this point? It’s really not as bad as you may imagine it. Between going stir crazy in June (and timeshare weeks to use) spending two weeks in Orlando, and driving one kid to Seattle (grad school) and one to UCF (college freshman) plus out 10 day trip to see tacky roadside attractions on way to South Dakota I think we’ve traveled more this summer than any other year. Hotels are doing good job with masks and cleaning, for the most part people are pretty respectful of keeping a distance etc.
We went the day after Christmas two years ago- ended spending four days and stayed offsite- we had the AP that gives express after 4. Also early entry. Between EE and express it was fun and manageable. That was the year they started dessert parties for the Macy parade and evening show- for the price at the time it was a terrific value.
Staying onsite with unlimited express - even during busy times- you will find you can get lots done and really enjoy yourselves. No planning to the minute- wanna re-ride MiB 4 times in a row? No problem. Tired? Quick boat ride back to resort.
we are planning on being there Thanksgiving week this year- week offsite at our timeshare condo starting Saturday but we tacked on Fri-sun at RPR after Tday. Crazy cheap flights home so instead of driving home in college kids car may leave it at school and fly home instead. And cheaper flights Monday than Sunday soooo- possibly another day added to Universal :) Actually the RPR AP rate we got for a HOLIDAY week is unbelievable!

For Harry Potter definitely take advantage of early entry. Get an interactive wand first day as you will have a blast practicing spells. If you honk you may at all go back within 15 months then consider annual passes. I love my premiere AP as it allows me to stay offsite and still have express after 4, plus an exclusive lounge and entry line.

so excited for you and family if it’s the first time! Hoping the Grinchmas show goes on this year!

Monykalyn this is very helpful information. We will be in Orlando (some Disney days, some Universal days) the week after Christmas so I've been searching for info. We'll be in Universal on New Year's Eve and Day. We did do a one-night package at Royal Pacific to get the early entry and unlimited passes to make it a little easier on us (bringing two 18 year olds that want to do the thrill rides and Harry Potter stuff).

Have you done any traveling up to this point? It’s really not as bad as you may imagine it. Between going stir crazy in June (and timeshare weeks to use) spending two weeks in Orlando, and driving one kid to Seattle (grad school) and one to UCF (college freshman) plus out 10 day trip to see tacky roadside attractions on way to South Dakota I think we’ve traveled more this summer than any other year. Hotels are doing good job with masks and cleaning, for the most part people are pretty respectful of keeping a distance etc.
We went the day after Christmas two years ago- ended spending four days and stayed offsite- we had the AP that gives express after 4. Also early entry. Between EE and express it was fun and manageable. That was the year they started dessert parties for the Macy parade and evening show- for the price at the time it was a terrific value.
Staying onsite with unlimited express - even during busy times- you will find you can get lots done and really enjoy yourselves. No planning to the minute- wanna re-ride MiB 4 times in a row? No problem. Tired? Quick boat ride back to resort.
we are planning on being there Thanksgiving week this year- week offsite at our timeshare condo starting Saturday but we tacked on Fri-sun at RPR after Tday. Crazy cheap flights home so instead of driving home in college kids car may leave it at school and fly home instead. And cheaper flights Monday than Sunday soooo- possibly another day added to Universal :) Actually the RPR AP rate we got for a HOLIDAY week is unbelievable!

For Harry Potter definitely take advantage of early entry. Get an interactive wand first day as you will have a blast practicing spells. If you honk you may at all go back within 15 months then consider annual passes. I love my premiere AP as it allows me to stay offsite and still have express after 4, plus an exclusive lounge and entry line.

so excited for you and family if it’s the first time! Hoping the Grinchmas show goes on this year!
We have not traveled recently except for short road trips for "socially distant" vacations at cabins and cottages. I feel pretty comfortable thinking about air travel and going to a theme park at this point from my own family's health perspective, but I'm more concerned for what it may mean coming back and potentially exposing others at holiday gatherings (ie. my in-laws are not in very good health and I'd feel awful if we brought COVID from FL to them). I just don't want to plan a slightly crazy, frivolous vacation without considering others- if that makes any sense! However, my kids have been in school for 4 weeks, wearing masks all day, my husband is teaching in a mask all day, and I'm working in health care, wearing a mask all day, so we probably have about the same exposure as we may have taking a trip to Universal?

I appreciate the words of advice about crowds and the express pass from those who have done it before- it truly gives me hope that we could still have a terrific time even if it is busy. When we went to Disney in June of 2018 the crowds were heavy (CL 7-9) AND it was very hot. I'm hoping that at least it won't be so hot in December so that wearing a mask will be bearable. None of us have been to Universal before, so it will be a new adventure with no prior expectations to make the experience feel lesser because of COVID!

I totally understand. Normally we do Sat-Wed on vacation and then go to Thanksgiving at my parents or the in-laws. We really want to go to Universal this year, after cancelling 3 trips since COVID started. So we decided that we are not going to either location this Thanksgiving due to risk of getting sick, and we'll stay at Universal the entire week (4 nights in HRH and 3 in ES)...

potentially exposing others at holiday gatherings (ie. my in-laws are not in very good health and I'd feel awful if we brought COVID from FL to them). I just don't want to plan a slightly crazy, frivolous vacation without considering others- if that makes any sense! However, my kids have been in school for 4 weeks, wearing masks all day, my husband is teaching in a mask all day, and I'm working in health care, wearing a mask all day, so we probably have about the same exposure as we may have taking a trip to Universal?
Of course that makes sense!!
Will you have any time between family gatherings/vacations?
We've been work from home since March, so even with our traveling it's easy to self quarantine when we get back.
Frankly I'd be SHOCKED if we haven't been exposed at some point. Heck my oldest did her school tour at end of February at Uof Washington-and found out after she flew home one of the professors was tested positive (not one she had contact with though-but clearly it was around campus).

If you've been around enough covid positive patients it wouldn't shock me if you've already mounted an immune response-and possibly also provoked a response in your family too. I really really wish they were doing in depth seroprevalence studies in the placebo covid vaccine study participants (I'm assuming they are with the vaccine ones-how else would they know if the person had already mounted an immune response). Have heard they aren't but maybe not correct.

Enjoy the anticipation of a trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!