Universal or Knotts Berry?

BurleyGirl

DIS Veteran
My family (parents, DH, and DS6) are going to DL in October. Prior to that, we'll be going to Legoland and the SD Zoo. I had planned on going to Universal as well. However, I'm having doubts about taking my DS6 to Universal, and am wondering if Knotts would be a better choice? I have been to Universal 10 years ago, and from what I can tell, there are only a handful of things he can enjoy there (Mummy & Van Helsing not being some of them). Would Knotts be a better choice? I've read many posters praise Knotts' Snoopy area, but it sounds like it would be too young for DS6. Aside from the advantage of not having to make the drive to Universal, what would you suggest as the better option?

My disclaimer on this post is that I'm totally biased towards Knott's! I love the place!!! We went there a lot when I was growing up and just loved it. Now, even with all the changes that have taken place, it's still wonderful. There's more for kids to do than Universal, and it's more laid back. And where else can you get boysenberry anything to eat, and also eat at Mrs. Knotts chicken dinner?

Okay, I digress. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Universal, but it's not a bad place to go. I just adore Knott's for all it is. No one could get bored there!

I second Knotts, if your consideration is for your ds-6. Universal has some scary scenes in the backlot tour, the Mummy Ride, Jurassic Park, Backdraft (my daughter was terrified during the fire scene).

Camp Snoopy at Knotts is perfect for your 6 year old - my kids loved it til they were 8/9 years old. There is a roller coaster called Jaguar that is pretty tame, but it's cool, because it is kind of long, and goes over the park. The shows are good, and the stagecoach, log ride, bumper cars, etc., are fun for kids.

Universal does have some things that your son may love like Shrek 4D or the Nick Splash Zone, and Jurassic Park, but you would most likely be done pretty early there. You could definitely get a full day in at Knott's. There are quite a few shows and things to do that would keep your son entertained all day. The close location to Disneyland is just icing on the cake

We'll be in the area next week. We got City Passes because we wanted to spend a day in San Diego, but since they also include tickets to Knott's, we'll be spending (literally) a few hours there on Sunday afternoon. What kind of crowds should we expect. Can anyone recommend a good touring plan to get the most out of a 4-5 hour stay at Knott's. We all like coasters!

Go on Ghost Rider - best wooden coaster I've ever been on.

Go on Knotts website & look at their map & attractions, & pick out the ones you have to see.

I recommend:
Ghost Rider
Mystery Lodge
Snoopy Show (just for fun)
Log Ride - it's a Knotts classic
Mine Train Ride - another Knotts classic

I LOVE knotts have a season pass there!!!! And the rides in snoopy are great for a 6 year old they are smaller versions of there adult rides in the park.

My family was just in California a few weeks ago. We had purchased the City Pass and one of the places you had a pass for was Knott's Berry Farm. We didn't think we would have time to go there so I hadn't really planned anything for it. Then one afternoon we were looking for something to do for the evening and decided since we had free passes to go and try Knott's out.

My 3 sons (8, 6, 1 yr) had a blast there!!! Now when people ask about our California trip, that is one of the 1st places they tell them about.

If you son likes coasters there were several that my 6 yr old was tall enough for and had a blast going on them. The Snoopy area was fun for my 1 yr old all the way up to my 8 yr old.

We did not vistit Universal so I can't comment on that park. We did go to Universal while in Orlando in May of this year and we had a lot of fun at that one :goodvibes

well Ive been to Universal Studios definitely more adult oriented I love Knotts, there are a lot of things to do there you have to EAT there Mrs. Knotts chicken is the best and the pies and Funnel Cakes, now I sound like a slob but its great just remember to go on the big rides first like the silver bullet. We go every year for veterans day Yay we get in for free! my dh was in the Marine Corps, now hes in the Air national guard. its sooo cool for kids and adults two thumbs up for Knotts

Well we chose Universal over Knotts for DS11 DS7 and DD4 and they all had a great time. DD loved meeting Dora and spent a lot of time at the NickJr playground though. Both DS's absolutely loved the rides.

However I would like to suggest another place to consider. We took them all to Legoland the day before Universal studios. It is about an hour and 15 minutes from Disney and all three had a blast. There are rides and activities for all my kids that were wonderful. If your DS likes lego then he will love this place.

After all the reviews here though I may have to consider Knotts Berry farm the next time we are out that way.

Craftylady

Another option is spend another day in SD and visit SeaWorld, most of the attractions there are perfect for a 6 year old. If you're already commited to the LA Area, then Knotts is a better choice for DS6.

We went to Knotts again this vacation. I didn't like it any better this time. Silver Bullet was down and that was a big disappointment. The log ride is great though! We ate at the restaurant at the gates and I wouldn't recommend it. We have had bad food on both our visits. I don't know why but to me this park is such a big disappointment for a Cedar Fair park. I guess I expected it to be more like Cedar Point, which I love.

We did go to Sea World and loved it! It is very beautifully maintained and the rides and shows are top class.

We went to Universal last year and I enjoyed it. However, it doesn't compare to the one in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter