Universal resorts versus Disney resorts

DizneeCM

Mouseketeer
How do the Universal resorts compare to the Disney resorts as far as theming, scenery, etc... Are they as nice? Are they quiet, or do you feel that you are a little too close to all of the action in the parks? We've stayed at Disney's Old Key West in the past.

I feel they are nicer. The service, the theming and the locations are out of this world!

Yes, and don't get me wrong. I love Disney, but at Universal, I was made to feel special. Here is an example, when we stayed at the RPR I didn't even put the car in park when a bell boy opened my door and said "welcome to the islands sir...." When I stayed at the WL, I pulled up and I had to ask for help with luggage. No one greeted me until I walked up to the front desk. Is this the norm? no.....but I have never had these issues at the Universal resorts.

Originally posted by DizneeCM
Which resort would you recommend if we prefer a quieter location?
The quietest hotel would be the Portofino. I like quiet, but I wasn't bothered at all by the Hard Rock Hotel. I love it there and it's the shortest walk to the parks.

If you are looking for quiet, definitely choose the Portofino Bay Hotel. It has a very calm and relaxed atmosphere.

I have stayed at Disney resorts (deluxe and moderates) and all three Universal hotels. For our last three trips to Orlando, we have stayed at the Universal resorts, even if we are visiting the Disney parks. I really think they are a good value for the money. When we stayed at the Beach Club at Disney (which is a lovely resort), I thought the room was okay - definitely not worth the big $$$.

I have also split our stays between Disney and Universal. I always recommend staying at Disney first and then moving over to the Universal. Once you have experienced FOTL at the parks, you do not want to stand in line at Disney. If you do Disney first, you have FOTL to look forward to.

Have fun!

We split are time 5 days at a Disney hotel and 4 at a Universal hotel. Disney has more to see and do but Universal has better and nicer service. Don't get me wrong I think Disney is Good but we stayed at RPR and I felt like we were the king and Queen of something. KELLY

... for different reasons. You cannot beat the convenience of getting to the parks from HRH -- it's a less-than-10-minute walk to US!! And they do try to make their guests feel very special, which is really wonderful. I thought our hotel room was very nice and a fairly good size. I also think the price we paid (about $145 per night) was extremely reasonable for deluxe accommodations... And I cannot begin to tell you how unbelievably awesome FOTL is!!!!

All that being said, I really love Disney hotels as well. I've stayed at a lot of them, and have to say that the Epcot resorts (esp. Beach Club/Yacht Club) are my favorites of all. No pool could come close to equaling SAB, IMO, and being able to walk to Epcot at night is magical! I think the hotel rooms are pretty comparable to HRH, though perhaps not as upscale in certain respects. I like them equally, however. It's much tougher to get as good a rate at the Disney resorts, so Universal's seem to be a better value for the money.

Hope this helps,
Sarah

Originally posted by SpideyHulk24
I feel they are nicer. The service, the theming and the locations are out of this world!

Ditto! I feel more "magic" there than Disney. The Universal resorts are much nicer and warmer. The location is much much better! I love staying at the Universal so much that the last time we went, we ended up staying at RPR the whole trip and didn't bother staying on the Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter