Unlimited Express Pass or Express Pass?

cmfitz14

Mouseketeer
Hi, I need some advice... We'll be visiting both parks for just ONE day in late August. We will be going for just one day because we are staying at WDW. I've priced out tickets for my family of four. Both parks with Unlimited Express Pass is $1,224.72; Both parks with Express Pass is $1,139.52. Originally I assumed we'd get the Express Pass to ensure that we get on almost all the rides with little wait - especially since we only have one day. Now that I'm looking at it, the Unlimited Pass will only cost us a grand total of $85.20 more... I'm now leaning toward doing that, but I'm unsure of whether or not it's truly "worth" it? Because we are only in the park for one day, would you expect us to go on rides multiple times? I wasn't sure if we'd be trying to squeeze so much in that we'd only do each thing once. Our 9 year old daughter is a huge HP fan. All of the HP stuff is a must for us. We'd also like to see most of the other big name attractions, but our DS is only about 45 inches, so there are multiple rides that will not be possible.

Just looking for opinions on feasibility! And whether or not it's worth it!

Thanks!

I second the previous poster. I priced out the tickets for my own trip, with the unlimited express pass (for three people) and it was EXPENSIVE! I ended up booking a night at Hard Rock. It comes with the unlimited express pass and you get 1hr early entry into the parks. To be honest, I wouldn't go without the unlimited pass. I've become quite spoiled by that thing.

Last edited:
I don't know when you trip is (or the children's ages) but I priced this out for 1 night at Royal Pacific.

ETA: it includes the early hour and the "free" unlimited express passes. If you are staying at another hotel, you could put this on the beginning or end of your trip and nix one night of lodging at the other hotel. It's a win win.

IMG_2651.PNG

I wanted to add that you or your kids will definitely want to ride some rides more than once. For instance, we always do the Minion ride, the Mummy ride, Jurassic Park ride, and Rip Shaw Falls many, many times...and that's excluding the HP rides that you're kids are going to want to repeat. Totally worth it if you ask me.

Hi, I need some advice... We'll be visiting both parks for just ONE day in late August. We will be going for just one day because we are staying at WDW.

Thanks!

Only quoting a partial of your question...

Late August, end of August does not have the crowds that Aug 1- 25 usually has.

But, when the crowds are lower, park hours are reduced sometime end of August.

If one of your kids wants to spend a lot of time exploring both Potter places, that can take up a good portion of the day.
Especially if you watch a couple of the live entertainment shows and check out all the nooks and crannies and shops in both Potter sections.

The EP will be valuable for less of a wait for the rides in Potter and rest of the parks.

I would flip a coin to decide for basic ep or the unlimited rides ep.

Look at the park maps and read up on what is in both parks.
You might decide some of the shows, rides would not be something you would do in that one day.

If you spent 3 hours at Potter, then did some rides in the parks outside of Potter, that could be time consuming before you switched to the other park.

Start the park when it opens and figure out a time when you need to leave one park for the other.
If you finish both parks and have time left, go back and explore a Potter section again since you have the p2p tickets.

Without knowing your date in August and the park hours for August, I can only guess what would be best for you

What I enjoy doing in the parks might not be the same as what you want to do.

I always catch the show Horror Make Up.
And the street show of Marilyn Monroe and the street show of the Blues Brothers.
Outdoor entertainment and the indoor seating shows take up time out of your day.

Some rides at the studio side I could not miss, just as I would not miss rides at IOA.

The throw away room that others have mentioned to you does allow each registered hotel guest free unlimited ep for both parks.
It is valid for check in day and the day you check out.

I am assuming you are staying at Disney and doing a one day only at Universal
But, there are many that book a room at UO for the ep
It depends on the cost of the room compared to how much would you be spending for EP for entire family.
Hotel ep are unlimited ep's

Another plus is, hotel guests are allowed in the designated park of the morning early.
8:00 before the park opens at 9 to the public.

The potter section is open
A ride outside of the potter section would also be open.
Could be the Minions ride or TF
(Usually always the Minions)

When IOA is the designated park for early entry, potter is open and Spiderman is the other ride that will be running for the hotel guests.

Thanks for all the replies. We’ll be there August 20. We cannot stay at universal bc we will be staying at WDW. We are visiting Universal (both parks) for one day in the middle of our vacation.

Any other opinions on whether or not express unlimited is worth the extra $85? We are not huge fans of live action shows - not sure if we’ll attend those.

Based on what you just posted, go to the website and read about all the rides

Decide which ones are a must do and which are ones you also would like to do

Know both potters will be on your list

If you have a lot on the list, go with the one use only ep

Thanks for all the replies. We’ll be there August 20. We cannot stay at universal bc we will be staying at WDW. We are visiting Universal (both parks) for one day in the middle of our vacation.

Any other opinions on whether or not express unlimited is worth the extra $85? We are not huge fans of live action shows - not sure if we’ll attend those.

Hi the pp's idea of getting a room for the EE and EP is a great idea. Macraven gave great thoughts and suggestions especially about the hours changing. I know we are big HP fans and we can spend a couple of hours alone in both lands. What you could do is book a throw away room at the cheapest (usually Royal Pacific Resort) and you would get EE and EP for two days. There were 4 of us on my trip and we got a room Royal Pacific for one night. It cost less for us to pay for one night there and get the EP for two days and EE then paying separately for the EP. We also took a break and went to the room for a quick freshen up. You can check in usually by 6:60-7:00 am and then head to the parks. They will give you a temporary key card to your room for your EP and EE then you will get the real one when your room is ready.

I would not be able to visit Universal without the express pass. It really makes a difference.

Based on what you just posted, go to the website and read about all the rides

Decide which ones are a must do and which are ones you also would like to do

Know both potters will be on your list

If you have a lot on the list, go with the one use only ep

I think this is really good advice. On some level saying you'll want to do everything multiple times and you won't be able to do everything is, while true, just not helpful. Figure out what you will want to try to do, maybe even plug it into Touring Plans trip planner and see whether riding things multiple times is even a reasonable option. If it's not, or it's just going to result in you missing something else you also want to do, don't pay for the option to do so. On the other hand if your perfect day is staying at HP world the whole time and seeing all the shows and eating in both restaurants and doing each of the two big rides 6 times definitely get it.

I still think booking a throw away room would be beneficial for you. As bobbie68 mentioned, you can usually check in pretty early. You could show up and take advantage of the early hour (and in HP would this is absolutely beneficial). You don't have to stay overnight in the room (check out can be done without going to the front desk). You can even use the room if someone needs a break mid day or before driving back to your Disney resort.

I priced out your trip again for 8/20 (guessing at the kids ages) and the price is even cheaper. I got $1,043 for Royal Pacific. That's cheaper than even the regular express pass rates...by a whopping $96.

IMG_2654.PNG

Last edited:

Lots of great advice in previous posts...

Boiling down your question to just is it worth $85 to upgrade? Probably not...with just one day to do both parks, you are probably not going to have a ton of time to have repeat rides. Having said that, it really comes down to your budget and preferences...$85 is not that much money if you want to have it "just in case".

I’m in similar boat as OP, I didn’t realize you could book rooms and get the express passes that way! Lots of great info here, going to look into that now

Let’s say we do book a room at royal pacific and check in early (prior to park opening). Maybe we head to the room middday (3pm) to take a short break. Head back to the park in the evening, and then go back to WDW at night. How do we do check out? Is there any need to check out at the front desk? Just curious... thanks!!

Let’s say we do book a room at royal pacific and check in early (prior to park opening). Maybe we head to the room middday (3pm) to take a short break. Head back to the park in the evening, and then go back to WDW at night. How do we do check out? Is there any need to check out at the front desk? Just curious... thanks!!

Hi in July we checked in at 7:00 a.m. we came over from Cabana Bay. We got our express pass and went to the park. We came back about 5:00 hung out in the room, relaxed a bit, walked around then went back to the park. After the park closed we went back to Cabana bay. We were not there to check out and it was no problem. You do not have to go to the desk to check out unless there is a problem with your bill. We would have stayed the night but my daughter was a little off so we went back. It's very easy!

I’m in similar boat as OP, I didn’t realize you could book rooms and get the express passes that way! Lots of great info here, going to look into that now

Hi yes you can and it actually works out nice. Good luck!

We never stop by and formally check-out. As long our charges are right, we just leave. HRH does offer the option to check-out via text, which I will do. Not sure if the others do as well.

If you don't go with the throwaway room and decide not to spend the extra $85, you can also maximize your time by getting there at opening and riding the Potter and other headliner attractions first, only using your EPs as you need them. If the posted stand-by wait is too long for your liking, then use the EP. If you can ride something like Forbidden Journey stand-by in the morning, you can ride it again later with your EP. We always follow this strategy for HHN.

On the flipside, in the grand scheme of things, an extra $85 doesn't seem like much to have the flexibility of riding your favorites one more time before heading out. We always buy the park hopper at Disney just to give us the most flexibility possible.

Book one of the three ( hrh, rph, PBH)
for a one night only room

Pay the one night deposit which is required at time of booking

When you check into the hotel you will be asked if you want to use that cc for any charges

Tell the TM you do not want charge back privileges to your room

This way no charges will be on your room stay

No need to return to the hotel for check out

Some do tell the TM when they check in they will not be using the room at all

Where can I find out if the parks have early admission on August 20 for onsite guests?

This idea seems too good to be true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter