Unsure where to post question about scooters...

wcw57

DIS Veteran
that is, personal mobility devices.

Supposin'.....jus' supposin'.....that a member of our group wears out and decides that a scooter is, after all, a good idea to finish out the week.

Is there a best way to proceed once we are actually at WDW? i know most people pre-book.

Any help would be wonderful.

many thanks

I am in same boat as you. I posted a question in the DisAbilities forum and got some helpful info about how to rent one. I’ll try to find a link. But I’d like to hear from actual experiences that people have had renting them in parks. For instance, have they needed one and they didn’t have any in stock? What did they choose to do? Did they rent one and find out that it was too much of a hassle? Etc.

that is, personal mobility devices.

Supposin'.....jus' supposin'.....that a member of our group wears out and decides that a scooter is, after all, a good idea to finish out the week.

Is there a best way to proceed once we are actually at WDW? i know most people pre-book.

Any help would be wonderful.

many thanks

Well... you can rent from Disney in-park; you won't be able to take it out of the park when returning to transportation or your resort. And availability can be iffy depending on what time of day your family member runs out of steam.

If not booking in advance, I suggest taking a list with some of the phone numbers of offsite rentals. See the end of post #2 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Some of the vendors have been known to deliver next-day; a couple maybe even deliver same-day. It will depend on availability. If you are traveling at a very busy time of year (Christmas, etc.), it might be best to rent in advance anyway. The person can always leave the ECV back at the room if wanting to try without.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just guessing, but did you mention an ECV to someone you are traveling with and they said they didn’t need it, even though you are pretty sure they will? I went through that scenario with my mom. I knew she wasn’t up for the walking anymore but she was stubborn and felt she could get around just fine. Well, until one day we were at MK and she got so tired she had to lie down at First Aid for a couple hours just to have enough energy to make it back to the resort. After that, she was more open to the idea, and it made all the difference. She didn’t ride it all day. For example, she would park it and walk through queues and shops for the most part. But I would guess it cut her walking by about two thirds and really improved the quality of her visit. It can be a touchy subject sometimes -I have definitely been there.

We started by just renting the in park ECVs, and then the last couple trips went with an offsite vendor so she could have access 24 hours a day. If the rental cost is not a major consideration, I would just book an offsite one in advance because they are typically cheaper than the in park rentals, and then you have it. You then have the option to bring it every day to the parks or you can bring it only when you know it will be several hours before you return to the resort. Since it’s cheaper than the in park rental it doesn’t feel like a waste if it gets left in the room now and then.

yeah....someone won't entertain the idea but I'm guessing it may, as they say, come in handy.

This scenario happened to us last year. We were at animal kingdom, and DH was having constant back pain due to several days in a row in the parks (standing, walking, etc). It was around 2 pm so we went over to the rental booth and they were all out of ECVs. They said they would put him on the wait list, and would text when one became available. We then went to the Safari to use our fastpass and by the time we got off the ride, we had received a text that one was available!

The following morning I called around to scooter rental places, and was able to get one delivered within an hour. I had to call several places before I could get one on such short notice. It was such a help for him! Needless to say, we already have one booked for our upcoming trip!

yeah....someone won't entertain the idea but I'm guessing it may, as they say, come in handy.

So, *when* the time comes... Here's how you can help ease them through the decision making process. First of all, remember that for most folks, that first time using a personal mobility device (or ECV as Disney calls them) can be kinda traumatic. They will go through something very similar to a grieving process; there may be (most likely will be) tears and recrimination and guilt and all sorts of emotion. That's OK, and is to be expected. They are simply adjusting to a new reality - one that none of us here wants, but most of us have had to face in one form or another.

Once they are calmer, and can really absorb what you are talking about, just remind them that using the ECV is no different than using a tool to get a job done! Just as you wouldn't hesitate to pick up a calculator to do a math problem, or grab a hammer to pound a nail, the ECV is simply a tool that lets you accomplish a task.

Remind them that not only can they "park and walk" if they want to, but that they don't have to sit on it for pictures, or meet n greets (as long as they can stand up) and that if they use it, *you* will be the one who has to keep up with *them*!

Additionally, their overall vacation probably just got better, simply because they won't arrive back at the hotel every night exhausted and in pain... and will get up in the morning, ready to go, wondering why all you bipedals can't get it together!

Last but not least, let them know this: That ECV, with them on it? It's a total non-event at Disney World. Trust me, no one will be paying attention to them; they are all too busy posting pictures to Instagram and taking selfies and bragging on Facebook about how wonderful their vacation is (and trying to make all their friends at home jealous LOL) And that old excuse of "what if someone we know *SEES* me!" is just that - you will have a better chance of winning the lottery AND getting struck by lightning at the same time than you will of actually bumping into someone you know from home at Disney World (unless you are traveling together). Using the ECV at Disney World isn't a permanent acknowledgement of a life-ending disability; it simply means that they need a bit of help with the (on average) 3 to 10 miles *per day* that the average Guest at Disney will walk. That's it. That's all.

Good Luck! :)

I just booked my first ECV with Gold Mobility. I am having bilateral knee replacement in January and know I won't be able to make it completely on foot. I mentioned that DH really needs one too but I can't convince him. The rep I spoke with said they have requests all the time for people who are already at WDW. He said they can usually accommodate these requests. I really felt comfortable working with the rep. I'm a little worried about the reaction I might get from people when I park and walk for a short time. I've read posts complaining about people using ECV's that are just "lazy" or are trying to get priority on rides and buses. I wish they could know that I would much rather walk than ride.

these responses are sooooo well thought out. Very nice and very helpful, you guys!

There used to be a scooter company onsite at the Boardwalk that you can rent from, I think it's Buena Vista scooters. Not sure if they are still there, but they had scooters that you could have 24 hours a day rather than the in-park ones. The Disney park ones are very big and comfortable, I have used them on occasion. My issue with them is the seats are not height adjustable and my knees had to bend too far so I was in pain when I got off.

There used to be a scooter company onsite at the Boardwalk that you can rent from, I think it's Buena Vista scooters. Not sure if they are still there, but they had scooters that you could have 24 hours a day rather than the in-park ones. The Disney park ones are very big and comfortable, I have used them on occasion. My issue with them is the seats are not height adjustable and my knees had to bend too far so I was in pain when I got off.

Buena Vista is really no different than any other rental company in Orlando, they just rent the space from Disney to be more visible and (theoretically) more responsive to Guests.

@jemlover - things are *much* better now than they were even 5 years ago; there is a lot less open hostility towards folks who need a personal mobility device. Having said that, yes, there is always one fool who will - I promise you - change their tune when they (or someone they love) finally needs to use an ECV at WDW. Suddenly, they forget all their bad behavior in the past!

One time I broke my foot at a Disney resort; we called one of the rental companies and a wheelchair was waiting at the resort when I got back from the hospital. The next day we realized the manual wheelchair wasn't workable; we called the company back and an ECV was waiting at the resort when we got back from the park that night.

I was a new scooter user at Disney World this last June. Was the best thing I ever did! I've tried a couple of local theme parks since then w/o a scooter, was miserable, so decided to buy one. It will be a portable one that I can put in the trunk.

Broke an ankle in the worse way possible back in 2000 and have had 4 major surgeries since. I did Disney a few times without an ECV but on our trip in 2014, I realized it would be the last time I could do that. We all had fun but I was in major pain and very uncomfortable. By now my knee, hip, back and other leg have been affected by the limping. This past March I used an ECV at Disney for the first time. Even though I knew it was the best decision for me and for my family since I would be able to do so much more, I still found it very hard to actually make the reservation for one. I was also very stressed about I would be able to handle the Disney transportation and navigating around the park. It was so much easier than I thought it would be, less than 1 minute after I got the ECV, I knew it was the best decision. I rented from an offsite vendor so that I could have it anywhere, not just once inside the park. It was a 3 wheel portable model so it could be split in 4 pieces and put into the truck of a car. I really liked the size and how it was very easy to turn and handle. I had never paid attention on previous trips to the Disney models that are rented in the park, they are the 4 wheel type and are much heavier and I figure most likely not as easy to navigate with. The ECV I rented made my trip so much more enjoyable!

You might want to try a local zoo for a day with this person and see how they handle doing it. Disney is still harder but it would give the person an idea of what it feels like to walk all day at a park of sorts. Most zoos rent scooters. So, if they need one there it's available and it would be great practice. A local zoo would be one day and obviously your Disney trip will be multiple days. The average walking at Disney is 6 miles a day. If you are an early to rise and late to leave at the parks you could potentially walk 10 miles.

If this person is apprehensive about using a scooter they can get practice using the free store models at WalMart and other stores. Those scooters are actually harder to use then one you would rent at Disney. Once at Disney you can practice at the Disney resort with one before going to a park.

Be it that there are willing helpers you can always help by doing the hard parts of scooter driving like getting it in and out of the resort room and on and off the buses, etc. for them. This is based on getting an offsite scooter rental. You need to charge the battery every night if you do an offsite scooter rental. If you are not on Disney property then using an offsite scooter is harder; you have to get the scooter in and out of a car each day. You need to make sure you rent a portable, travel scooter if you are at an offsite resort using a car. All scooters don't come apart.

If you do a park rental it's more expensive that way. Also, unless you get to the park relatively early you could have problems getting one. It's first come, first serve. The park scooters are larger than most of the offsite scooter rentals which to me translates as a little harder to use through ride line queues, etc. if you don't get a scooter rental at the moment you are put on a waiting list and you give your cell phone and you will be called when one becomes available. If it gets real bad for the person you may have to rent a wheelchair and push the person until a scooter becomes available.

Another issue for some is the cost of a rental scooter. Not sure if someone can treat for a scooter but that might help or at least pitch in some for the cost. We always feel the cost of the scooter is well worth it. Park tickets aren't free and if using a scooter allows you to enjoy the parks better and longer the cost is well worth it.

It can be hard to figure out all the reasons behind the person using a scooter or not. If it comes down to pride then you may want to take a break and get a rest and then go back to a park. Also, mixing up park shows with rides gives the person a good rest. Eating at the park provides a rest, too. Worse to worse, there are cots at the first aid centers in each park to get a rest.

I'm repeating what others have said, but my biggest fear would be using disney buses. Perhaps your person might be thinking the same way.

My DH uses a wheelchair at disney. We went through a couple of trips of walk walk, sit for 30 mins, walk walk and repeat. I tried to get him to use a wheelchair, nope ,nope, nope.

6 months later another trip.....how about a wheelchair, nope . Just walking to the gate in the airport.....he says, let's get a wheelchair.

The wheelchair has made such a difference. We would never stop to see the street shows. Standing in one spot was too hard on him. Now he can sit and enjoy. 30 mins waits in lines are no longer a problem with the wheelchair.

I'm not saying you should get a wheelchair instead of scooter. Just sharing our story . That others also resist getting a scooter/wheelchair the first time.

I suffered in pain several years at Disney before I finally gave in and rented a scooter. i will never again go without one. Yes I can walk, but not long especially on cement. We have always rented from Buena Vista Scooter. This spring I bought one for use at local parks, fairs, malls, etc. I'm not taking my personal scooter in November but am renting through Gold Mobility.

We recently went to an art museum with my mom. We got our tickets and then my husband asked the art museum for a wheelechair (they didn’t have ecv). My mom protested she didn’t need it and he was like, ok. We can put all our stuff in it and push it around that way. But anytime you need it, here it is. End of the day, my mom admitted there was no way she could have done the museum without it.

The ecv makes everyone in the groups trip easier. You have a basket for carrying stuff. You have a seat anytime you need it. When someone gets foot sore, they can take a break. Depending on setup, you might have a nice bit of shade. If you have little kids, when you get that point where they want to be carried, you poop them in the lap of the ecv user. Point being, it might be worth it to get one and then just let people take turns with it- everyone gets some time off their feet. The person who needs it will have it when they need it and since they have seen everyone using it, some of those mental boundaries may have been broken down. You didn’t get this tool for them, you got it because it was so useful for everyone else. Obviously, when the person who needs it is using it, you don’t take turns or if you do, you take super short turns so they have it back (if they insist on sharing). But I have found having it there makes it more likely to be used and makes everyone happier.

I hope this doesn’t come off as treating the ecv as a toy or anything. But I know from my mom, sometimes reframing helps. If you get a scooter to help the group in general and then later it becomes this person’s scooter, that seems like a very good transition.

The ecv makes everyone in the groups trip easier. You have a basket for carrying stuff. You have a seat anytime you need it. When someone gets foot sore, they can take a break. Depending on setup, you might have a nice bit of shade. If you have little kids, when you get that point where they want to be carried, you poop them in the lap of the ecv user.

In case anyone isn't aware, Disney's safety rules prohibit anyone on the lap of an ECV user. As I've seen @mamabunny post many times before:
Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. One device, one rider. Period. (Our daughter says "One seat, one butt LOL) Do not carry infants or children on your lap, or let adults ride (either by standing on the "running board" or sitting on the armrest, etc.) The danger to yourself and others is very real.

I was thinking more of putting kids in laps during the parades and shows, so not really when moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!