Upcoming Spinal Surgery

Jenvenza

<font color=green>Ratted out her husband's lack of
I went to the doctor today to have him look at my recent MRI's and the first thing he said when he walked in was - Well, this isn't good. :scared: I have a torn disc that is not going to heal on its own. I had a feeling, but was hoping for the best. They want to do one injection in my spine and then discuss spinal surgery. I am very nervous about this. I am pretty young - only 30 and have a 15 month old aughter I have to run around after. So surgeryis a really scary thing for me.

Has anyone gone through this? How bad is spinal surgery to repair a torn disc? I know spinal surgery isn't what it used to be and recovery times are much faster now, but the thought of it really scares me.

I just had spinal surgery a few months ago and I am glad I did. I had C5-C6 disc that had herniated and pushed into the spinal cord. They actually pushed the spinal cord out of the way. This lead to all kinds of symptoms imatating MS, Lupes, ALS and several diseases. I had thre MRI's-- my brain, my spine and the thorax area. It was the neurologist that found the problem. My condition had gone too long for the injections to help so I went straight to a neurosurgeon. For me it was great. Most of my symptoms have gone and the rest should be gone in a couple of months.

You have to do what you think is best for you. What kind of drs did you see? How many second opinions did you get? What kind of symptoms are you having? What kind of recovery are you looking at? What happens if you don't have the surgery? What is your quality of life?

In my case I do daycare in my home and I was back to work at four weeks. I still am careful with what i do but I do almost everything I did before the surgery. I am even able to exercise (which I haven't felt like doing in a few years).

Talk to your drs and carefully make your choice. In my case I was at the place where it hurt to walk or sit, I was falling, and the other symptoms were preventing me from doing much of anything. If I hadn't had the surgery than if I fell, got in a car accident or wasn't careful picking things up I was looking for a serious possible fatel injury. I too was so nervous. I had heard all the horrible stories of others who had had back surgery. I am in my fifties and overweight.

For the longest time no one could see my symptoms at least until the last few months. When I finally went to the dr and then two other drs I felt like someone knew what I was going through.

I did check out my drs with AMA. I knew I had the best drs in our state and possibly the southwest so that made me feel better also. I will tell you this too my quality of life has improved drastically. I do many things I could not do before the surgery. I am exercising and i have lost 24 pounds so far. I continue to improve and scare is almost completely gone.

Good luck and keep us posted. I will keep you in my prayers!

Not yet - I go in next week to have a procedure done where they inject my back with steriods and hopefully that will make it feel better for a few weeks. I thought it was just a standard cortisone injection, but it seems like bit more than that. I have to be there 3-4 hours and they are going to drug me before hand. :confused3 Anyway - after that, I will go see my doctor again and then I will find out more about the surgery!

Where are you going? My daughter, 5, goes to the Texas Orthopedic Hospital downtown. She sees a doctor in the Fondren group... I have to say I love him... :cloud9:

Where are you going? My daughter, 5, goes to the Texas Orthopedic Hospital downtown. She sees a doctor in the Fondren group... I have to say I love him... :cloud9:

It is the place on Main Street - I think my doctor is also in the Fondren group. Dr. Kozak....he seems really great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter