*COMPLETE* Never Underestimate the Power of the Dark Side - a runDisney Spring Break TR

It seems after reading others recap we must have just missed the Stormtroopers at the expo. We kept looking for them, but never found any, great picture!

I read that on the shirts too but mine fit just like all my other RunDisney race shirts have as well.

We still haven't gotten the third track at Toy Story, not like it matters I guess, but we keep getting the 3rd Soarin' theater every single time.

Sounds like a very fun and productive morning at Hollywood Studios!
Weird that the shirts were running small ... I feel like they normally run either true to size or a little big. I'm glad yours fit okay, though ... going back to exchange them probably would have been annoying.

Great day and you got a lot done. I love your shots with BB-8. Glad the shirts fit fine as well. It would stink having to go back to the Expo to exchange.

I remember reading that same comment about the shirts running small! I had no problems with mine either.

Looks like a productive morning at HS and an efficient expo trip! We probably arrived as you were leaving!
Glad you didn't have any problems with your shirts either. I would have been very disappointed if mine didn't fit, and would not have enjoyed trying to go back to the expo to exchange them.

Yes, it was a great morning and very easy experience at the expo. :)

Looks like fun. And I love the one with the force shirt. Where did you get it?
Thanks! It's from a website called Teepublic.

Beautiful photo! These colors are gorgeous.

This looks so good! I will have to try this sometime!

Is it just be or does this look more like a casserole? That is one thick piece of pizza!

How I got through Epcot without one of these I don't know. Looks great!

Uh oh! How scary! I always wonder how they don't hurt themselves with all of that stress so frequently. I hope he is okay!

Melt my heart. This sounds so precious.

Love, love, the boardwalk! Great report!
Thanks for all the nice comments! The pizza was definitely thick, and while it was good, I prefer it to be thinner. So I'd rather get the pizza from inside Via Napoli. As for the margarita and macaron, they were both from the Flower and Garden Outdoor Kitchens, so I don't think you'd be able to get them most of the time. One of the things I love about the special events at Epcot - the food stands have some really good things to try.

I hope the Lion King performer was alright as well. Scary and sad to see happen. :(

I love the Boardwalk as well. I used to find it boring as a kid, but I've learned to appreciate it as an adult. It's a great place to spend a relaxing evening. And staying at the resort, which I've had the chance to do a couple times, is very convenient and great for getting to parks. Awesome location.

I love your Force shirt :)
Thanks!

It seems after reading others recap we must have just missed the Stormtroopers at the expo. We kept looking for them, but never found any, great picture!

I read that on the shirts too but mine fit just like all my other RunDisney race shirts have as well.

We still haven't gotten the third track at Toy Story, not like it matters I guess, but we keep getting the 3rd Soarin' theater every single time.
It was great to see the Stormtroopers, and even greater that they let us take pictures since they usually don't when they're patrolling at Hollywood Studios.

Glad your shirts fit as well. :)

The third track at Toy Story is interesting because it's separated from the others and seems like you're going to a secret area. Haha. I've gotten the new theater at Soarin' once as well.

Sounds like a very fun and productive morning at Hollywood Studios!
Weird that the shirts were running small ... I feel like they normally run either true to size or a little big. I'm glad yours fit okay, though ... going back to exchange them probably would have been annoying.
It definitely was!

Yes, it would have been annoying and a big inconvenience to have to go back to exchange shirts.

Great day and you got a lot done. I love your shots with BB-8. Glad the shirts fit fine as well. It would stink having to go back to the Expo to exchange.
We did. And thanks! I'm very glad my shirts fit and I didn't have to exchange them.

Hey readers, I'm working on another update. I hope to have it up later today.

Since I only have one week of teaching left before summer vacation, I'm hoping to be able to get through the rest of this quicker. Thanks to everyone sticking with me!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 (Part 3)

After a bit of a rest in the room, but before going to meet my parents, I decided to head out for a quick photoshoot around our building in Congress Park. It has been a while since I’ve stayed at Saratoga Springs, so it was nice to take it all in. It really is a peaceful and beautiful resort area.

IMG_6346_zpsuym1omkp.jpg

IMG_6347_zpsvpa1jv4h.jpg

IMG_6349_zpsqlfyqng8.jpg

IMG_6351_zps0egl6nzg.jpg

With my photoshoot complete, I had received word from my parents that they had arrived at the Boardwalk and would be leaving for Epcot shortly, so I headed out to catch a bus.

I arrived at Epcot pretty quickly, so since my parents would be coming in from the International Gateway, I went out to World Showcase. More photos on the way. :)

IMG_6353_zps58v1ys4w.jpg

IMG_6358_zpszrobxsai.jpg

While I waited for them to get there, I stopped at one of the Flower and Garden outdoor kitchens and got a signature drink – the frozen Violet Lemonade. Soo yummy.

IMG_6359_zpsobtoqcth.jpg

My parents arrived as I was enjoying my lemonade. My other sister who had come down with them was not there, as she was also running the Dark Side Challenge and decided her first stop would be the expo to get it out of the way before Saturday. While we waited for her to get there, we did some World Showcase traveling. I was hungry by this point, so we stopped in Mexico and I got some nachos from La Cantina de San Angel. They were delicious and hit the spot perfectly, but it was also a massive amount so I did not finish them.

After Mexico, it was off to Japan since my Mom wanted to purchase some tea that she likes from one of the stores there. While we waited for her, my Dad and I just strolled around the pavilion and took in the sights. We noticed a Photopass photographer by the koi pond, so once my Mom joined back up with us, the three of us got a photo taken.

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_8012182220_zpsv7wkujlm.jpeg

With our Photopass picture taken, we continued to stroll through World Showcase and made a stop in France. My Mom and I both got macarons (I enjoyed the one from the day before so much that I needed another) and my Dad got a dish of ice cream from the ice cream shop. We ate our treats and then got word that my sister had arrived, so we met up with her in the United Kingdom. Then it was off to Norway to utilize our Fastpass for Frozen Ever After.

It was not my first time on the Frozen ride – we were also able to get a FP for our trip in November for Wine and Dine Half Marathon weekend. It was my mom’s first time, though. She didn’t dislike it, but her verdict was that it was nothing special and she wouldn’t go out of her way to do it again. I think it’s cute, though.

After Frozen, we also had a FP for Mission: Space (we had had one earlier for Spaceship Earth as well, but we didn’t use it – I’m regretting that since I ended up not getting on it at all this trip – sad :( ). I decided to bypass this FP as well though and start heading over to Hollywood Studios for the Star Wars fireworks. My Dad and sister stayed back to use the FP and also stay for Illuminations later, but my Mom walked out with me (she was going to head back to the Boardwalk to settle in and relax for the rest of the evening. Once out of the International Gateway, we parted ways – one of the Friendship boats was waiting at the dock so I chose to take that rather than walk all the way to DHS.

The highlight of the boat ride was the adorable little girl who ended up sitting next to me. I noticed her glancing at me a couple times, and after smiling back she quietly said to me “So what’s your favorite thing here?” It was so cute and once the conversation started, she did not stop talking the whole time, and kept asking me questions (she had a twin sister sitting next to her and she was a lot more shy!). The mother who was across the aisle from us apologized a couple times, but it was no problem and the whole thing was really sweet.

I said goodbye to my little friend once we arrived at DHS, and on my way in I got a Photopass picture on Hollywood Boulevard.

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8012292639_zpsmz1lhpbv.jpeg

Since there was still a little over an hour until the Star Wars fireworks started, I decided to head to Rock ‘n Roller Coaster and take another ride using the single rider line. I didn’t know how long it would take and started getting a bit worried that it was going too slow, but ended up making it with enough time to spare.

IMG_6362_zpsa2bxjs2n.jpg

After Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, I think it was a little more than a half hour until the fireworks started, so I went to stake out my spot. I guess I was very approachable that evening because while waiting, I ended up in another conversation with the father who was sitting in front of me. It was nice, and made the time pass very quickly. It turned out that while he currently lived in Washington D.C. with his family, he had grown up in Wisconsin nearby where I am from.

I don’t have any pictures of the show, since it was another one I just wanted to take in and enjoy, and my fireworks pictures never turn out well anyway. But I really liked it and thought it was very well done. The combination of some fireworks, the projections and the movie music was a lot of fun.

With the show over, I called it a night. I bade farewell to the family in front of me and wished them an enjoyable last day (they were traveling home on the Saturday of that weekend). I then made my way out of the park and caught a bus back to Saratoga Springs.

Coming Up: Extra Magic Hours morning!

I love that picture of you and your parents by the koi pond!!

Disney is really one of the only places where talking to random strangers is considered normal. So cool that you met a guy who grew up near where you live! It really is a small world :)

I love that picture of you and your parents by the koi pond!!

Disney is really one of the only places where talking to random strangers is considered normal. So cool that you met a guy who grew up near where you live! It really is a small world :)
Thanks! It's definitely one of my favorites because I don't have a ton of pictures of just me with both of my parents at the same time.

Yeah, it didn't feel weird at all. We found a lot to talk about. It was cool to find out he was from the same area.

Last edited:
Friday, April 21, 2017

The first part of the plan for Friday was to spend the morning at the Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours. S, E, and I got ready, and then headed out to the bus. We were in touch with our parents and other sister, and planned to meet them at the entrance when we got there.

Good morning Magic Kingdom toll plaza!

IMG_6364_zpspqeh5p03.jpg

Once we got through the turnstiles, we started trying to track down our parents and sister. We found them pretty quickly, but they were up near the tunnel under the train station among a crowd of people, so we didn't really want to push our way through to get up to them. So we told them we would meet up at Peter Pan.

IMG_6366_zpskfj5ffoh.jpg

The park officially opened (without the train station Welcome show - I miss it so much! :sad:) and we headed off towards Fantasyland to go to Peter Pan. S & E eventually decided though that instead of going to Peter Pan, they were going to head to Tomorrowland (can't remember which ride they were going to do - the Speedway maybe) and then we'd meet up for ride #2 at Space Mountain. Things didn't go quite as planned though, since there was a big backup and bottleneck of people heading towards the two areas of the park (for EMH, they now have to scan Magicbands to make sure people are resort guests - I don't quite get doing this inside the park, since I feel like there should be a way to check this when you scan in at the turnstiles). So the result was I didn't make it in time to meet everyone at Peter Pan, since they just went in. I actually spotted them getting off the ride as I was nearing the loading area, but they didn't see me. I sent a message to my Mom and she then waited for me while my Dad and sister headed off to Space Mountain. Once I got off Peter Pan (a classic ride - one of my Fantasyland favorites :tink:) my Mom and I were off to Tomorrowland and waited outside Space Mountain for everyone else to get off (S & E made it over and were on the ride too).

After everyone made it off Space Mountain, all 6 of us took a ride on Buzz Lightyear. I look very determined in our ride photo.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8012455045_zpstvus6ltp.jpeg

After Buzz Lightyear, my younger sister headed off to Starbucks while me, S, E, and my Dad took a spin on the Mad Tea Party while Mom watched (she is not a big spinning or thrill ride person). I rode with E since he wanted to spin it really fast and I told him I could handle it, so we gave it a try. I have to say that those tea cups can go a lot faster than I thought!

By the time we got off Mad Tea Party, the rest of the park was going to be opening soon, so we decided to head off towards Frontierland and Adventureland. My sister met back up with us, and we knocked off rides on Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion all before lunchtime. EMH are the best!

IMG_6369_zps6o48guvz.jpg

After all those rides, it was getting close to lunchtime. S & E had a lunch reservation at Beaches and Cream, so they were going to leave to head over there. But first, a stop for a full group photo at the Partners statue. This was the first time the whole family had been at Walt Disney World at the same time since Winter Break 2007-2008, due to everyone's differing schedules, so we needed to document the occasion. It was also the first time E was there with all of us (but not his first time there with S - they went on a short summer trip a few years back). Our pictures turned out great and I love them!

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8012648182_zpskv3ja6sz.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8012648186_zpstardaaiy.jpeg

After getting our pictures, we got lunch at Casey's, took a few more pictures around the Hub area, and browsed some of the shops on Main Street.

It was a gorgeous day!!
IMG_6372_zps5gpb0df3.jpg

IMG_6373_zpswifewlch.jpg

By this time, it was probably around 1:00, so it was time for a mid-day break. I said good-bye to my parents and sister for the time being, headed out of the park, and made my way back to Saratoga Springs.

IMG_6376_zps0negaoir.jpg

Coming Up: Another evening at Hollywood Studios

Last edited:
Wow you guys got a ton done in the morning! I love the castle shot of all of you and it does look like a beautiful day.

Wow, you really got a lot done that morning! I'm impressed!

I love your family pictures in front of the castle/partner statue. Those are definitely print, frame, and hang up around the house pictures!

Wow you guys got a ton done in the morning! I love the castle shot of all of you and it does look like a beautiful day.
We did! And all of that with very minimal waiting.

Very impressive morning!
That's what's amazing about Extra Magic Hours!

Wow, you really got a lot done that morning! I'm impressed!

I love your family pictures in front of the castle/partner statue. Those are definitely print, frame, and hang up around the house pictures!
We always make sure to do Extra Magic Hours at least once a trip, but it's so easy to get a lot done. It's great.

I've already printed one of the pictures and intend to frame it or put it in an album. The whole family shots are rare these days and it's great to have those moments captured.

Friday, April 21, 2017 (Part 2)

After our mid-day break, it was off to Hollywood Studios to get in a few rides using Fastpasses and for a dinner reservation at 50's Prime Time Café. I arrived at the park around 3:30 and met back up with my parents and younger sister (S & E had had their lunch reservation so they weren’t joining us for dinner, and decided to just enjoy a leisurely night at the resort/Disney Springs in preparation for the next morning’s 10K).

Our first stop was Tower of Terror. Mom sat this one out since as I said previously, she’s not a thrill ride person. I absolutely adore this ride though and will be so disappointed if it gets re-themed someday. Sadly I’m fully expecting it to happen at some point, since I’ve heard that the contract with the Twilight Zone may be ending soon. In the meantime, I plan to ride it as much as I can when I visit and enjoy it as long as it is there. We’ll see what happens.

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8013099188_zpscoiwv59j.jpeg

After Tower of Terror, it was off to utilize Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania. Mom did go on this one, and once again we got directed to the third track for loading. I rode with my sister, and sadly she beat me pretty badly. Once we got off, we still had some time to spare before our next Fastpass for Star Tours, so we headed into One Man’s Dream to see the 10-minute preview of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. We got back to the theater but had just missed the previous showing, so we had to wait for the next one. We looked around at a couple of the exhibits and posters in the area while we waited. Overall, I enjoyed the preview (it was a clip from towards the beginning of the movie) and ended up seeing the whole thing the weekend it came out at the end of May. As you can probably tell from my signature, I love Pirates of the Caribbean, and I was happy with the newest film in the series.

After the preview, we headed over to Star Tours to use those Fastpasses (as you can probably guess, my Mom once again did not ride). I enjoy this ride and I will continue to ride it, but depending on how you’re feeling, sometimes the jerkiness is a little too much. But it’s fun how you don’t always get the same scenes and multiple rides can be different. As a fan of Star Wars, I cannot wait to see what the new Star Wars Land brings!

Since this update is getting a bit longer than I expected and there aren’t many pictures to break up the rambling, I’m going to speed it up a bit. After Star Tours, we headed over to 50's Prime Time Café and even though it was early, checked in for our 5:55 ADR. We thought we might get in early, but it turned out that it was pretty busy so we got taken in pretty much right on time. We all enjoyed our meals – I got the meatloaf for my entrée and then got a caramel sundae for dessert. It wasn’t my first time here, but it’s been a while and it was fun to go back.

After dinner, I headed back to Saratoga Springs since it was the eve of the 10K and time to call it an early night to prepare for the early morning ahead!

Coming Up: Stars Wars Dark Side 10K Pre-Race

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The next morning’s alarm came way too early at approximately 3:00 am. S, E, and I were all running the 10K (along with my younger sister) so we got up and ready and headed to a bus by 3:30 or so. We got right on a bus, waited a few minutes for it to fill up and then were on our way to the pre-race staging area at the Magic Kingdom parking lot.

When we got to the staging area, we headed through the security area (although none of us had bags so we went through the no-bag line) and then made our way towards the character greeting lines. Most of them looked pretty long, but I was willing to wait a bit since we had time (S & E didn’t really want to, so I think they just milled around and ended up heading to the corrals early since they were in the back – corral F).

My first choice for a character meet was Darth Vader, but his line was one of the longest and a Cast Member organizing the line told the people just arriving right away that they probably wouldn’t make it in time. So I chose to bypass that one and looked for somewhere else to go. The nice thing is that they had a board with which characters were out and the anticipated wait times written on it so I took a look and then headed into a line. While I was in line, I ate the Clif Bar that I had brought with me and enjoyed the entertainment from the stage (music, movie clips, interviews and games with some of the runners). RunDisney really does know how to put on a fun event and make the early arrival not seem so bad.

IMG_6378_zpsvn33avsl.jpg

I can’t remember how long I waited, but I got to the front of the line in time and got my picture. This is who I waited for:

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_400725294231_zpsedck6sp7.jpg

Jabba the Hutt! It wasn't my first choice of where to wait, but I actually love how it turned out, and it was a rare character picture to have as a memento from that morning’s race (since I don’t stop for character photos during the races unless they’re super quick – it’s a hard thing for me to do). After getting my picture, I headed towards the port-a-potties for a stop before the race started. The lines were ridiculously long, but fortunately there was another very helpful Cast Member who started telling people there were many more port-a-potties over by the corrals. So I got out of line and went over there. The first few lines were still really long, but I kept walking and the ones further down were definitely a lot shorter. Thank goodness – a good thing to remember for the next morning.

After my stop, I decided to make my way into corral D. I had been exchanging some messages with my other sister, and she was already in the corral (she also had D). I didn’t know if I’d find her so I just staked out a spot, but, lo and behold, a few moments later I glance over my shoulder and there she is! We weren’t going to run together (I am a solo runner and prefer to run races by myself and just meet up with others before/after) but we might as well wait together.

Eventually 5:30 rolled around, the National Anthem was sung, and the wheelchair racers were off, followed 2 minutes later by Corral A. As the corrals and waves were released, we began inching our way forward, and after about 20 more minutes, it was Corral D’s turn!

RUNNERS, SEEEEET, GO!

IMG_6382_zpsddzqouf4.jpg

Coming Up: 6.2 galactic miles!

Tower of Terror is my favorite Disney ride and like you, I hope they don't retheme it. We missed out on getting to ride the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay at Disneyland when we were there for Tink, but I have heard good things.

Love that Jabba the Hutt shot. Super rare and it turned out great. I love your capri pants, too!

Not a fan of drop rides but I do love Tower of Terror.

Great shot with Jabba! The Star Wars pre-race photos seem to be really long compared to other weekends.

I've actually never done Tower of Terror ... I know everyone seems to love it, but I'm terrified of the drop. I've also never done Star Tours, but now that I've finally seen all the Star Wars movies (except Rogue One), I should probably correct that.

Nice picture with Jabba! I like that they bring out the "rare" Star Wars characters for these races ... it makes it more festive. I definitely agree that runDisney does a good job making the early mornings not as bad.
(I'm the same way about running with others - I'll wait in the corrals with other people, but I hate running with somone else. I do so much better solo.)

I'm looking forward to reading about your race experience!

Tower of Terror is my favorite Disney ride and like you, I hope they don't retheme it. We missed out on getting to ride the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay at Disneyland when we were there for Tink, but I have heard good things.

Love that Jabba the Hutt shot. Super rare and it turned out great. I love your capri pants, too!
I can't wait to go back to Disneyland and try the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay. I'm glad it's getting good feedback.

Thanks and thanks! The capri pants are my favorites.

Not a fan of drop rides but I do love Tower of Terror.

Great shot with Jabba! The Star Wars pre-race photos seem to be really long compared to other weekends.
I love Tower of Terror not just because of the fun of the ride itself, but because of the whole story. Which is why I'd be so sad to see it changed. I wonder if there's a way they could keep a similar story but cut out references to the actual Twilight Zone should that contract end.

Yeah, some of the lines were really long.

I love your shot with Jabba, totally worth waiting for.
Thanks, it was worth it!

I've actually never done Tower of Terror ... I know everyone seems to love it, but I'm terrified of the drop. I've also never done Star Tours, but now that I've finally seen all the Star Wars movies (except Rogue One), I should probably correct that.

Nice picture with Jabba! I like that they bring out the "rare" Star Wars characters for these races ... it makes it more festive. I definitely agree that runDisney does a good job making the early mornings not as bad.
(I'm the same way about running with others - I'll wait in the corrals with other people, but I hate running with somone else. I do so much better solo.)

I'm looking forward to reading about your race experience!
I would never force someone to ride a ride they're not comfortable with, but I encourage you to give it a shot! I was terrified the first time I rode it, but ended up loving it. If you hate it then you know and you never have to ride again. :) And try Star Tours too!

Thanks! I'm definitely glad I ended up waiting for that picture!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter