UPDATED: MagicBands will NOT be coming to Disneyland

I hate when this thread gets bumped. I go through the rollercoaster again every time. "Oh man... that sucks. Wait... maybe it's only magic bands and not the FP+ system. Oh, but what if it is? Uggghhh why? Oh, this is the same thing that was posted way back then. Nevermind.

I hate when this thread gets bumped. I go through the rollercoaster again every time. "Oh man... that sucks. Wait... maybe it's only magic bands and not the FP+ system. Oh, but what if it is? Uggghhh why? Oh, this is the same thing that was posted way back then. Nevermind.

It sounds like a lot of people wouldn't mind the bands themselves, but they don't like the idea of FP+. Yet, based on what Disney has said, it is much more likely Disneyland will get some kind of FP+ and no bands.

It sounds like a lot of people wouldn't mind the bands themselves, but they don't like the idea of FP+. Yet, based on what Disney has said, it is much more likely Disneyland will get some kind of FP+ and no bands.

I've contended all along that FP+ was just a way they thought they could get people to wear the bands.

Right?! Not that I'm not totally bumping it right now lol!

Maybe this would be better on the community board or rumor board until DL makes an actual announcement about it? Just a thought, not looking to step on toes.

Right?! Not that I'm not totally bumping it right now lol!

Maybe this would be better on the community board or rumor board until DL makes an actual announcement about it? Just a thought, not looking to step on toes.

I agree!

Or maybe the OP @ethanwa would consider at least changing the title, since it's not clear that anything is official at this point.

I have updated the title and information to say that MagicBands are NOT coming to Disneyland.

And I hope they never do! Imagine all the rides that now have a short to moderate wait that will be bumped up to 30-60 minute waits just because they add a FP queue. And rope drop? Forget it! The FP holders will already be slowing down that line at 9:05am.

Let's keep DL quaint and relaxing. NO FP+!

UPDATE on March 17, 2016: It's since been confirmed in the last year that MagicBands will NOT BE COMING to Disneyland any time soon.

Woo!

No toddler-like plastic bands around our wrists! Woo!

Not sure if this means no FP+ though. I liked the concept of arranging FPs without having to trudge all the way to a machine, but the way they took it at WDW was a direction that's crazy. 60 days out onsite, 30 days off, 3-only ahead of time... I just wanted something so I didn't have to walk all over the place *even more* than I already do. :)

And I hope they never do! Imagine all the rides that now have a short to moderate wait that will be bumped up to 30-60 minute waits just because they add a FP queue. And rope drop? Forget it! The FP holders will already be slowing down that line at 9:05am.

LOL! Remember just no Magic Bands (which people seem to like) doesn't mean no FP+ (which people seem to hate).

I never said FP+ isn't coming.... MagicBands do not equal FastPass+. I think many people fail to realize they are two separate things.

I've heard from a number of people that aspects of MyMagic+ are coming to Disneyland. Paper FastPasses having RFID chips in them to act just like FP+ in WDW have already been tested.... I think it was at Space Mountain a few months back?

I've heard from a number of people that aspects of MyMagic+ are coming to Disneyland. Paper FastPasses having RFID chips in them to act just like FP+ in WDW have already been tested.... I think it was at Space Mountain a few months back?
You're correct that it was tested at Space Mountain. Did they have RFID chips in them, or was it a barcode thing?

I have no problem with the magic bands. It was nice having everything connected to it and not having to keep track of CC, park tickets, and hotel keys.

However, I am not a fan of FP+. Rides that normally had 10 minutes or less waits all had 40+ minute wait times last time we went. Where before I could get 6-7 FP a day at least, we were lucky if we got more than the 3 you started with.

After our experience with FP+ I have no desire to go back to WDW anytime soon. If DL implements FP+ I'll probably just switch to Universal for my themepark fix.

I recently visited Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando. I stayed on-site at both locations, and the comparison was jarring. At Walt Disney World, I could get into my hotel room, the various parks, use FP+, get photos, and make purchases, all with the same band around my wrist. In some of the rides, there were customised responses, like a name flashing on a screen, which adds to the magic. I thoroughly enjoyed the MagicBand process during that trip.

When we moved to Universal Orlando, I was given a booklet (we needed a backpack to carry it around) full of pieces of paper. It had room keys, theme park tickets, Universal Express passes, Universal CityWalk passes, parade passes, photo passes, dining passes (a separate piece of paper for each person, for each meal).

In a single day at the parks, we needed either 1 MagicBand per person, or about 8 pieces of paper per person. And when it rained during our trip, we occasionally had to get some of those pieces of paper reprinted.

I understand there's an aversion to the FastPass+ system and the MagicBand system too, but if Disneyland could institute an option of MagicBand or RFID Card (which could go into one's wallet or purse), that would be fantastic for the local residents, since they'd have their card in their wallets throughout the year, and the travellers.

We also had someone who had to make use of the Disability Access Service at Walt Disney World, and Attraction Assistance Pass at Universal Orlando. Disney was able to load an extra FP+ onto the MagicBands. Universal had to fill out a form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!