Upgrading a ticket?

whois figment

Mouseketeer
I am pretty sure I have read this in the past. If I have a park hopper ticket with 1 day left on it I can trade it in towards the purchase of a new ticket. Can someone please confirm that I am correct?

Thanks in advance

when I went to do that I was told that it must be done within 7 days of the actual purchase. and another cm told me it depends on the cms mood as to where or not they will do it

Depending on when you purchased the ticket, it may be more economical to use the day left on the pass instead of trading it in on a new pass. Chances are you paid less per day for the old ticket than the price per day of the new ticket.

I found old World Hopper Passes purchased in 1992 in a box this year. I had no idea how many days I had left or anything. I called CRO and they said I could still definitely use the days left on them or upgrade them to current passes, all I had to do was go to guest services.

So when we arrived at WDW this year I went to guest services and asked what I needed to upgrade and the CM very nicely explained that all they could do was give me $ credit for the days left at the price I paid which was only $22/day so it made more sense just for me to use the days.

Beverly Lynn, you're thinking of the 7 day window to apply the entire price paid for one pass to the purchase of another longer pass.

And vcasey was very wise to use those old passes. The older the pass is the more it should be used as is for its remaining admissions. In the 1992 case, all that was needed was to have the remaining admissions encoded onto a magnetic strip pass.

You can never upgrade an old pass. Any pass with leftover days on it may be used for a credit to purchase another pass.
All you can do is apply the cash value of the remaining days based on the original purchase price towards a new pass. Disney loves when you want do this because you end up paying more money for an already paid for admission.

Where do you actually swap the 'old' park hopper for credit towards a new one - only at WDW or at Disney stores or AAA? I would swap in the value of the days left on my old park hopper to get new 4 day, because what I may lose on the remaining entry days I gain on the flexibility that only a 4 day gives me, i.e. hopping parks.

I have done this a couple of times. You need to do this on-site, and the cash exchange value is only equivalent to the entry fee that was in effect when you bought the pass. Once, I tried to exchange the value of a WDW pass that I'd bought at an offsite hotel ticket kiosk and three different CM's said I couldn't do it, only could get value of passes bought directly from Disney. I don't get it, cuz the pass looked just like the ones my DS bought at MK, but apparently they could tell from the info on the magnetic strip.

I have a "park hopper" from 1990 with one day on it- so they can give me a ticket with a magnetic strip that acts like a 1-day park hopper so I can use fast pass?

A credit towards another ticket isn't worth it since the price is so much lower.

golden oldie this is what I tried to do when they told me thats the way it was. I have a few pases with days left on them. I wanted to use the value of what was left to purchase a new tkt. they told me it had to have been done within 7 days of buying the opriginal tkt. I asked why I couldn't use the value of what was left on the tkt to buy the new pass. I was told no. so I guess it does depend on who you speak to when you want to do this.

hoosll: Yes you can have that old pass with one remaining day exchanged for a magnetic strip pass. This is done for free at any WDW ticket booth. Not only does it allow you to use FP but it will also admit you to any of the 4 parks, not just the ones open when you bought the pass.

Beverly Lynn: Are you surprised by that? :rolleyes: I'm not sure if I read your situation correctly but there are situations where they will limit you to applying only one pass to a new one. I'm not sure if you were trying to use several old ones to get one new one.

Ask wdwguide what it's like trying to upgrade and apply used passes. He's made several posts in the past year about his experiences and frustrations on this point. The company line is that all passes regularly offered for public sale by and purchased from Disney are eligible for credit towards a new higher category pass.

You ran into the Disney CM's "Carousel of Policy" working at it's finest. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter