UY question and banking/borrowing pts

okienick

Mouseketeer
Hi all. We are still newbies with using our DVC membership, so I want to make sure I understand how it all works.

Is there a distinction for how points are used when you borrow in? Will borrowed points always be used first regardless of when the reservation was booked? For example, I used my August UY 2018 and some of my 2019 to book a split stay at my home resort, 2 separate room types, a studio then moved to a 1B. I did this because I knew I wanted to try to switch the studio ressie at the 7 month window to the Poly but ensure I had something if I couldn’t get everything I wanted.

So now that I’m ready to start stalking and waitlisting the Poly, I’m trying to understand how the points will work. If I borrowed points in from 2019 to make new reservations at the Poly after I’ve alread got confirmed reservations in Oct 18 with all my 2018 points, will the 2018 points that get canceled be able to be banked at the end of Mar 2019 to my August 2019 UY?

Or, should I just cancel the nights at WL individually as the nights become available at the Poly? I’m still going to have to borrow 2019 points in that scenario because Poly is more than WL. I just want to make sure I understand how all this will work before I start canceling.

I hope all that makes sense!! Please help the newbie, pros!! TIA

Nicole

Points that are available in your account (meaning they are available for new reservations and not currently attached to a reservation) will be applied in the following order for a given UY:

1. Banked points
2. Borrowed points
3. Current points

Generally this works well except when you start booking new reservations and then later cancel older reservations that had been using banked and/or borrowed points.

If for any reason, you want to deviate from the above order, you should call MS to see what options are available.

Points that are available in your account (meaning they are available for new reservations and not currently attached to a reservation) will be applied in the following order for a given UY:

1. Banked points
2. Borrowed points
3. Current points

Generally this works well except when you start booking new reservations and then later cancel older reservations that had been using banked and/or borrowed points.

If for any reason, you want to deviate from the above order, you should call MS to see what options are available.

Ok. That’s good info. Thank you. To be sure I understand though, if I cancel my original ressie with 2018 points assuming I borrow 2019 to make a new ressie, will the 2018 points that get canceled be able to be banked at the end of Mar 2019 to my August 2019 UY?

Ok. That’s good info. Thank you. To be sure I understand though, if I cancel my original ressie with 2018 points assuming I borrow 2019 to make a new ressie, will the 2018 points that get canceled be able to be banked at the end of Mar 2019 to my August 2019 UY?

If those 2018 points are "true" 2018 current year points (meaning they have never been banked or borrowed), then yes, they can be banked subject to the banking deadline as long as you cancelled at least 31 days in advance of your trip. If you cancel inside of 31 days, then they are holding points and cannot be banked.

Any borrowed points that are subsequently cancelled will stay borrowed points and cannot be banked. If cancelled inside of 31 days, they will also be holding points.

Always check after any reservation or change to see that MS did what you wanted. Most are very good, but mistakes can happen.

Always check after any reservation or change to see that MS did what you wanted. Most are very good, but mistakes can happen.
My understanding is I can also reallocate points that are available in the account as long as they aren’t tied to an existing reservation, correct?

Also, if I waitlist something, it won’t affect points until it Is actually confirmed? So in other words if I needed to borrow points to cover the waitlist member services would have to contact me and ask how I want to cover the reservation correct?

My understanding is I can also reallocate points that are available in the account as long as they aren’t tied to an existing reservation, correct?

Also, if I waitlist something, it won’t affect points until it Is actually confirmed? So in other words if I needed to borrow points to cover the waitlist member services would have to contact me and ask how I want to cover the reservation correct?
Do NOT assume that MS will call you before filling a waitlist. In fact, when you set up a waitlist online, you are no longer asked if you want to allow borrowing, it is assumed. So be sure the points in your account are available.

Do NOT assume that MS will call you before filling a waitlist. In fact, when you set up a waitlist online, you are no longer asked if you want to allow borrowing, it is assumed. So be sure the points in your account are available.

Thank you. I just discovered this this morning while processing a waitlist. I think I understand how it all works now. Thanks everyone.

It is true that you no longer get a call, but not true that borrowing is assumed.

When you set up a waitlist, you must authorize borrowing if you want the CM to be able to borrow points to complete the new reservation. If borrowed points are needed and you did not authorize borrowing when you set up the waitlist, the waitlist is cancelled.

It is true that you no longer get a call, but not true that borrowing is assumed.

When you set up a waitlist, you must authorize borrowing if you want the CM to be able to borrow points to complete the new reservation. If borrowed points are needed and you did not authorize borrowing when you set up the waitlist, the waitlist is cancelled.
Hmmm, I've only seen the question that asks which contract to borrow from. Do you mean that you can leave that question blank, and it won't assume borrowing and will cancel waitlist if borrowing were needed?

They took the checkbox away a while ago. The terms of the waitlist now include the authorization to borrow without any option to decline.

They took the checkbox away a while ago. The terms of the waitlist now include the authorization to borrow without any option to decline.
Good to know. Thank you. It's been awhile since I waitlisted.

Can't say I like the change due to mistakes made in my account in the past. Now I know to be extra vigilant after a waitlist is filled to be sure It was done correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!