Vacation Central Florida - Windsor Hills - Review

Jedimom

Mouseketeer
The unit we booked was this one:
http://vrentals.vacationrentaldesk.com/3BRWINDSORHILLS203.html

Windsor Hills itself: We've stayed here before numerous times so know what to expect. Since our last visit, they changed the pool area a tad. I don't like that they moved the hot tub near the pool area. It's so much smaller and sits directly under the blazing hot sun with no shading or seclusion available. The splash pad which was supposed to open sooooo many months ago is still not open. Perhaps by December? lol The kids enjoyed the main pool and the big slide.

Price: Reasonable. Dave Robinson sometimes offers lower prices and great deals for units for very last minute rentals. But we booked several months in advance and paid a price which is in line with similar units for my timeframe (early August).

Amenities: Bare bones for kitchen stuff (similar to most rental companies). Since we fly Southwest I always pack a few of my own kitchen pots and pans, kitchen utensils, etc to be on the safe side. Appliances all seem to work so far. TVs --- eh, we sort of "gave up" on figuring out how to turn on the living room TV. I made the mistake of attempting to change the channel and it all went black. Like so many of these rental units, TVs are wired through tons of devices and come with so many remote controls one doesn't know where to start.

Cleanliness: No problems -- clean unit.

Customer Service: Awful. At this point I just have to laugh or I'll cry. Three bad experiences:

1) My saga started here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-to-do-owner-wont-respond.3691425/#post-59434724 with me having to beg, plead, and threaten to cancel my contract if they didn't take my money. Vacation Central Florida finally charged my card and a day later, sent an email telling me that their policy is to not charge a card until 30 days prior. Funny, there's nothing in my contract which says this, in fact it puts the responsibility on me, as it should, to make final payment by 30 days prior to arrival. VCF's email also failed to apologize for their failure to respond to my numerous emails and messages for over a week.

2) We arrived late Saturday evening to find that our unit's decor/theming was completely different than what I booked. The kids were very disappointed, asked me to call management even. I wasn't going to do that. I hadn't any intention of even dealing with management over this because what could they do? I'm not after a refund, and they aren't going to suddenly find me some other unit. They had baited and switched us at worst, or were just plain negligent in posting old photos on their website at best. Chalk it up to a bad experience, make the best of it, and move on.

3) Yesterday morning we discovered that a dining room chair had gone missing. Yes, a chair had just up and disappeared. I know we had six chairs when we arrived. Now there are five. It went missing sometime between Tuesday (were out all day at the parks) and Wednesday mid-morning (slept in late). Emailed management to ask if someone had been in the unit, or whether I was just plain crazy and maybe there never were six chairs? The response was a simple we haven't been in your unit. (Um...yeah, someone was because that chair WAS THERE and it isn't now and I'm not crazy.) Been over it in my mind a zillion times, feel like I'm being gaslighted at this point, and yes, there were six chairs (kids confirm there were six chairs) and now there aren't. Why would they come in and just steal a chair? No idea. None. Unless they plan to suck more money out of me by saying I stole a chair or something which honestly, I wouldn't put it past them at this point. I don't even care that we're down to five chairs as we only need five chairs, but why lie and say you weren't in the unit when you had to be? There's no other explanation.

Would I recommend? No way. I had stayed with this company before and had an okay review, even recommended them in the past. I think between then and now they've just taken on too much (the size of their property management company has increased quite a bit since a few years ago). Their customer service has suffered and it shows. Never again.

Wow - thanks for your excellent report on this - I will definitely avoid this company in the future.

I'm surprised! We rented through them in Sept and didn't have problems. I would say more the unit was somewhat neglected. And we worked more so with the owner and not the company. Hmm.. well thanks for this detailed report. I wasn't planning on staying with them again but this is a for sure don't even think about it.

We have rented from them 6 times in the past with the most recent being this summer staying in 202c. Never had any issues.

We too wondered about the 30 day payment as the contract says you must pay it at the 30 day mark. If you look at the "summary of reservation" e-mail you get from them when first booking you will see under payment schedule it says:

Payment Schedule
Your credit card will be charged on or before the due dates listed below by the vacation rental manager:

They could use to make it a bit clearer but it is there.

We also found that the kitchen had everything we needed but usually we were only doing breakfast and making sandwiches for lunch. We don't cook full dinners that need a lot of pots and pans and couldn't imagine packing pans in our luggage when on vacation. There were enough pans to cook things like scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon for breakfast if you wanted to. There probably are not enough if making a full blown dinner though. There are just too many places to eat on 192 when staying off site that spending the time cooking dinner isn't worth it for us.

Not sure what the deal was with the chair or the decor. Seems odd. The pictures always matched what was on the website for us. What specifically was different? Was it just things like the bedspreads or were walls painted differently, different pictures, etc? Maybe the did a remodel and just didn't update the website? Every one we have stayed in had at least some disney themeing in them.

The only complaint I have had during all of our stays there are the lightbulbs. I don't think anyone every checks to make sure they are working (probably because the cleaning crew comes during the daytime) as every stay has had at least a few lightbulbs burned out. On our last visit one room had no working lights and the other room had one one. I just bought a package of bulbs from walmart when we went and got groceries and changed them myself. I'm sure I could have called and had a maintenance person out to do it but the hassle wasn't worth it.

Keith

WE ALWAYS RENT FROM DAVE, THE TOWNHOME/HOUSE YOU PUT A DEPOSIT ON IS THE EXACT 1 YOU SHOULD GET, I CANT SEE THEM CHANGING THE ENTIRE HOME OR CONDO TO A DIFF 1, I WOULD BE VERY UPSET , I KNEW MINE WAS 200 STEPS FROM THE POOL, IT WAS #2279 AND THAT'S THE 1 I WANTED AND GOT, NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED THERE. HE USUALLY HAS A BOOK FROM THE OWNER IN THE LR WITH DIRECTIONS FOR TV USE/ WE HAVE HAD PEOPLE COME IN AND PEOPLE CAME TO CLEAN THE POOL. WE HAVE HAD LIGHTBULB ISSUES TOO. I DONT PAY ANY OF HIS SILLY FEES LIKE GAS GRILL OR NORTH FACING POOL VIEWS BUT HE HAS RECENTLY TAKEN OVER WINDSOR PALMS I SEE.

I just stayed in one of their units. He is the owner and owns the property management company. I got roach infested unit. I sent several messages and they never responsed to those, but instead let themselves in and removed several items. They admitted it but it made me feel unsafe and like my electronics weren't safe with people coming in and leaving without even telling me. I had to do a lot of cleaning, it was like camping.

I just stayed in one of their units. He is the owner and owns the property management company. I got roach infested unit. I sent several messages and they never responsed to those, but instead let themselves in and removed several items. They admitted it but it made me feel unsafe and like my electronics weren't safe with people coming in and leaving without even telling me. I had to do a lot of cleaning, it was like camping.
Oh no! DH wants to stay here and we found a unit on VRBO with all five star reviews but roaches?! Ughhh. Should we look elsewhere?

Oh no! DH wants to stay here and we found a unit on VRBO with all five star reviews but roaches?! Ughhh. Should we look elsewhere?
Run like the wind! Unless you like filth, roaches, and people coming in unannounced I'd look anywhere. He replies to every bad review by saying " we researched this and found it to be false and misleading" but if you read all the sites, VRBO, Air B&B, Google reviews etc you'll see the complaints "he" deems false are all complaining of the same things that I had to deal with. I don't trust the positive reviews after dealing with this man, he was super rude when I complained. You can tell its not his first rodeo. Google his name, google his company named read all the reviews. On VRBO search his name and read the bad reviews on all his properties you'll see common themes and cookie cutter denial.

Run like the wind! Unless you like filth, roaches, and people coming in unannounced I'd look anywhere. He replies to every bad review by saying " we researched this and found it to be false and misleading" but if you read all the sites, VRBO, Air B&B, Google reviews etc you'll see the complaints "he" deems false are all complaining of the same things that I had to deal with. I don't trust the positive reviews after dealing with this man, he was super rude when I complained. You can tell its not his first rodeo. Google his name, google his company named read all the reviews. On VRBO search his name and read the bad reviews on all his properties you'll see common themes and cookie cutter denial.
Do you recommend avoiding all of Windsor hills in general! I really just want to stay on property.

Do you recommend avoiding all of Windsor hills in general! I really just want to stay on property.
We have stayed multiple times at Windsor Hills and never had a problem. I think this thread is talking about a specific owner/management company.

We used Dave years ago and have moved from Windsor hills to orange lake because the water pool area is nicer but we drove through WH last year and it's upkeep is still nice. I would just use another renter/owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter