Vancouver airport transportation

Kesohio63

Mouseketeer
We're flying in to Vancouver and staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson for two nights before our cruise. Wondering what is the best way to get there from the airport. Is the train easy to use with luggage? Can you buy your fare with a credit card at the airport station? How much does it cost, approximately? Looking for answers/advice from anyone who has done this recently. Thanks!

We're flying in to Vancouver and staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson for two nights before our cruise. Wondering what is the best way to get there from the airport. Is the train easy to use with luggage? Can you buy your fare with a credit card at the airport station? How much does it cost, approximately? Looking for answers/advice from anyone who has done this recently. Thanks!
I recommend taking a taxi. Didn't cost a lot, they drop you right off where you need to be, and it's kinda fast.

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise and agree that a taxi is the way to go. The line for cabs looked intimidating at first, but it moved quickly and we were soon on our way. I don't recall the price (maybe $30-something to downtown??) but the prices are set based on destination and clearly indicated by signage in the queue area. Yes, the train is probably cheaper, but a cab is so much easier and like the PP mentioned, you are delivered to the front door of the hotel, not some random train stop. I'm all about convenience when we are traveling.

We could have easily walked to the cruise terminal from our hotel (did so several times throughout our stay), but on the morning of the cruise we grabbed a cab. We saw a lot of people hauling luggage down the sidewalks, but we didn't feel the need. We were in Vancouver (in the Coal Harbour area) for three days prior to the cruise and took cabs a few times while we were there and found them plentiful and very reasonably priced.

We used cabs too. Vancouver has great public transportation, but when we had luggage to/from the ship, it was just simpler to put it in a cab.

I agree with others, just take a taxi. The nearest sky train station to your hotel is a couple of blocks away and you are only a few blocks from the port so taking the skytrain doesn't really make sense. You'd end up doing far more walking with your luggage then you would actually being on the skytrain.

We did the same cruise one year ago. Our family of four took a cab to our downtown hotel (I think it was about $50-60 US), and the morning of our departure we took the train. I must say the train was super easy, fast, and inexpensive. I think it's a straight shot from City Centre to the airport. If we go again, we would definitely use the train, provided we weren't bringing a month's worth of luggage. We bought the train tickets at a station kiosk using a credit card. It wasn't too hard or stressful.

We took the train to the waterfront station last summer, and walked to our hotel. It was under $10pp for the train, and and easy ride with plenty of space for the luggage. Our credit card worked fine to purchase tickets at the airport station. We were on a northbound cruise, but I imagine the train back to the airport from the waterfront station would be just as easy (and closer to the port than our hotel was).

Last summer we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Coal Harbor (Westin Bayshore). It was $35 CAD. They have fixed price zones from the airport, so it's not overpriced. They had a person directing people to taxis last year, so it was nice and easy to get one. We also did a taxi from our hotel to port for under $10 CAD. We could have walked it, but not with all our luggage!

Another vote for $31 (USD $25) taxi carload to avoid the 15 minute, half mile luggage drag.

Subway is $9.10 each.... after three passengers.... it's the same price as the cab.

Do you exchange into CAD or do most taxis (and for that matter, any of the stores and restaurants) accept USD? Or just use credit cards and let them do the exchange?

Do you exchange into CAD or do most taxis (and for that matter, any of the stores and restaurants) accept USD? Or just use credit cards and let them do the exchange?
We used a credit card and it seemed fine. I did get some Canadian money ($10-$20) for tips. Brought home $5 and I don't know who will take it. Most likely a souvenir.

Let the driver know you plan to pay by credit card prior to boarding and loading luggage. Minimize surprises if the machine is broken or the driver needs extra time with the machine.

We're flying in to Vancouver and staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson for two nights before our cruise. Wondering what is the best way to get there from the airport.

Cab it from airport to the Robson hotel.

We did the same cruise one year ago. Our family of four took a cab to our downtown hotel (I think it was about $50-60 US

That's unusually high unless you're perhaps remembering the Canadian dolllar price.

Yeah, if DH thinks it's going to be a $50 cab ride, we will be taking the train, lol. We've done public transit from airport to downtown in Boston and Seattle, so we can probably figure it out, but I agree that a cab would be easier. I really appreciate everyone's input!

It won't be a $50 cab ride. I don't remember the exact amount but it's in the $30 something range (and that's Canadian, so less for USD) which has been confirmed by other posters. There was another company at the airport that you could use (Aerocab??? or something like that). It was off to the side, not the regular cab line and they had these huge, black SUV's - very swanky. Again, I don't remember the exact price (I'm not very good at this, am I?) but I do remember thinking that if we took them they would be close to double the price of a regular cab. Maybe that is what the poster that quoted that price took. The cabs were all either a Toyota Prius or Sienna minivan and either was perfectly fine for us. I'd take a cab again in a heartbeat. Simple, easy and reasonably priced.

Yeah, if DH thinks it's going to be a $50 cab ride, we will be taking the train, lol. We've done public transit from airport to downtown in Boston and Seattle, so we can probably figure it out, but I agree that a cab would be easier. I really appreciate everyone's input!
Here is the YVR airport taxi link. At the bottom of the page is a PDF of the zone fare map--prices range from $20-$39 CAD.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter