vegetarian & meat-eater sharing on dining plan

smartestnumber5

<font color=blue>Then it's just a fun time<br><fon
My girlfriend and I will have the free dining in Aug. and as we both have heartburn problems we'll be trying to share a lot of meals to avoid stuffing ourselves. But, given that I don't eat meat (or seafood) we have limited entree options.

Anyone else have experience with this type of sharing? Any advice?

I figure at a few places (California Grill, Le Cellier) she can get a meat based entree and I can have the appetizer and maybe order an extra appetizer or side. There are some places she'd like to go, though, that don't seem to have much I'd be interested in (like Whispering Canyon and Coral Reef). We're thinking on those days maybe we'll go to two different restaurants for dinner a few hours apart--but that would take up a significant amount of time.

Any tips for vegetarian entrees that even a meat lover can be happy with? Or, any vegetarian appetizers that are substantial enough to make up a small meal in themselves?

Or, more generally, any vegetarians who've experienced the dining plan--how was it?

My dad was a vegetarin on the dining plan. We would just ask to speak to a chef and they would happily make something up that wasn't on the menu based on what was in their kitchen that day. I don't know that I would do that if I was planning to share the meal though.

Most of the vegetarian entrees on the menus were too "weird" for him, since he won't eat tofu, couscous, miso broth or a whole host of other things.

Also keep in mind that just because the dining plan includes several courses does not mean each Guest has to order each course. If you think it's too much food, skip the appetizer. Or share a dessert. Or just because something is on your plate does not mean you have to finish it. If you feel guilty 'wasting' food, you can to take the leftovers with you (works best if you're heading almost directly back to a room with a refrigerator in it :)) or ask for a smaller or half-portion. You'll still pay the full price or use the full credit, but so what?

kaytieeldr said:
If you feel guilty 'wasting' food, you can to take the leftovers with you (works best if you're heading almost directly back to a room with a refrigerator in it :)) or ask for a smaller or half-portion. You'll still pay the full price or use the full credit, but so what?

It would be ideal if we could take leftovers back to the room as my girlfriend has quite the craving for midnight snacks (I'm usually satisfied with just dinner). We're staying in a value resort, though, and as far as I know we'd have to pay for the fridge. Also, I think most of the time we'll probably be going to parks after dinner. My girlfriend did suggest that we bring tupperware with us so she can pack the leftovers right up and they'll be easy to carry. Bet we'll look kind of odd in restaurants!

I can't help out with the vegetarian issues (I eat very little meat in the real world, but at WDW I didn't care), but I think tupperware is brilliant!

Vegetarian appetizers are usually pretty easy to come by, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Oh, and AllEars has menus for most (all?) WDW restaurants. Maybe you could each go down the list and make notes of what appeals to you, and then go to the places that made it to both lists.

I found this on the menu for whispering canyon: Vegetable Stew - Cannellini Bean Stew, Oven Dried Tomatoes, Grilled Yellow Squash, Baby Spinach with Garlic, topped with a nest of Yukon Gold Potatoes, and Honey Basil Ginger Oil. Yum. Suddenly I'm even more excited that we're staying at WL next!

ok, now I've edited this post 3 times and need to call it quits.

oops. one more: Pop is awesome. We stayed there last time and loved it. Now I'm going to move on to a new thread and stop reading your siggy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter