Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

Since you are the in house Zensah sock expert, tell me what you think about them! I use feetures for my short socks and ProCompression for my tall socks. I love the Zensah designs so much, but I don't know how I feel about the mid length! Do they stay up? I would just get the sleeves but they cost more, hahaha. Anyway, did you see the Flamingo ones they just released???

I really like them! For longer runs, I prefer their Grit socks but I will use the pattern ones on runs that are about up to 6 miles. I've never tried them for longer than that, so they may be fine for blisters but I have issues with my feet so I always try to be overly cautious. LOL. I used Feetures previously and always had blister issues, but with the Grit socks I've NEVER gotten one. *knocks on wood* I've never had any issues with them falling down, the compression in them is really good.

YESSSSS! They are always taking my money. I have the flamingos, the flying pigs, tie dyed and two pair of Grit socks currently in my cart. LOL. I have the same feeling about the sleeves, why pay more plus I've never ran in sleeves before and I'm not sure if I'd like it.

What a great race and such a good cause. Did they say why this was the last year? That sunrise photo with the flag is beautiful.

What a great race and such a good cause. Did they say why this was the last year? That sunrise photo with the flag is beautiful.

Yes, it really is! I think they have always said they would only have it for 10 years, and this was the tenth. I keep wondering if they will change their mind based on the amount of money they have raised. The planning is basically the same every year, and it isn't like there are timing mats or anything so the set up is really just placing one flag at every mile marker. I'm not the one planning it though, so of course it sounds super easy to me. LOL. I wish they would do it again!

Just call me Dory...
DisloyalJampackedChinchilla-max-1mb.gif

Every week when it comes time to update my journal (which has been slack recently), I cannot seem to remember anything I did for the past week. Thank goodness for Garmin or I would be completely lost!

I am finally back on track and following my new training schedule after Run Across Georgia. I was having some weird hip pain prior to the run, but luckily I didn't have any issues over the weekend or since. In other news, I ordered these adorable New Balance Minnie Shoes and cannot wait to wear them on our trip in TWO WEEKS!
IMG_6341.jpg

So what happened last week??

5/28 - Rest Day

5/29 - 4 miles @ 9:39 on the treadmill due to rain (it feels like it has been raining 40 days and 40 nights here recently)

5/30 - Rest Day, but I ran half a mile with Barkley at a 10:25 pace! We go for walks every night and he is always trying to run, so I decided to see what kind of pace he was trying to run. Still too young to do this regularly, but I am excited to take him on easy runs in the next year or so!
IMG_6327.jpg
5/31 - 6 miles @ 10:00 on the treadmill again, with a dead watch. :confused3

6/1 - 5 miles @ 10:05.

6/2 - 5 miles @ 9:23. Oh look, my legs can actually go fast still!

6/3 - 6 miles @ 9:19. HOT. HOT. HOT. Jumped straight in the lake after this run.

6/4 - 6 miles @ 10:08.

6/5 - TRACK TUESDAYS ARE BACK! 2 mile warm up @ 10:15. 4 sets of (200m R (6:50 PACE) w/200m recovery + 200m R (6:50 PACE) w/400m recovery + 400m R (6:50 PACE) w/200m recovery). This workout made my brain hurt, so thank goodness for that Garmin again!
200m: :52, :49, :49, :48, :52, :49, :50, :52
400m: 1:42, 1:43, 1:46, 1:48
I only technically hit 6 out of 12 of my goal paces, but I do all my track workouts around 3:30 in the afternoon. Not the smartest, but it is the only time that works. Dealing with a T&D of around 150 I am happy with these times. Barkley and I did a one mile cool down afterward and he brought along a toy. LOL.
IMG_6330.jpg
6/6 - Rest Day!

Upcoming schedule:
Th:2 mile WU + 14 x 2 min @ I (7:15) w/2 min recovery + 1 mile CD
F: 5.5 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sa: 6 miles @ EB (9:31) and Strides
Su: HOTlanta Half (9 miles @ LR (9:10) + 4 miles Tempo (8:26))
M: 5.5 miles @ EA (10:12)
Tu: 2 mile WU + (2x200m @ R (6:50) w/200m recovery) + (4x400m @ R w/400m recovery) + (3x200m @ R w/200m recovery) + 1 mile CD - Already have a headache just looking at these numbers. LOL

PS. Here is your weekly Barkley update! He is now 6 months and weighs 40 pounds. He leaves Saturday for puppy boot camp for a month. I am going to miss him SOOOO much, but hope he comes back as a smarter, more well behaved little dude.
IMG_6205.jpg

I reallllly love those shoes! I need another pair of sneakers like I need a hurt foot (boo!), but I only have so much self control..

So close to your next trip!! Exciting!

Just think Barkley is going to summer camp... way more fun than boot camp. ;) It'll be so worth it!

I reallllly love those shoes! I need another pair of sneakers like I need a hurt foot (boo!), but I only have so much self control..

So close to your next trip!! Exciting!

Just think Barkley is going to summer camp... way more fun than boot camp. ;) It'll be so worth it!

Same here! These are strictly park shoes, so I figured I "needed" them. LOL. We are super excited to be heading back, but preparing for heat!

Oh that's a good way to think of it! Thanks!!

HOTlanta Half Recap and technical difficulties...

Y'all know how much I love to share pictures with my training and race recaps, but I cannot figure out why they aren't uploading right. The picture doesn't show when I upload, no matter which file format I use and that is making me sad, but training continues so you'll just have to imagine the pictures and memes I planned to share. LOL

So what happened last week?

Thursday, 6/7 - 1.5 mile warm up @ 10:28 pace, 10 2:00 repeats with 2:00 recovery and 1.5 mile cool down @ 10:47 pace. This workout was a disaster. I was supposed to do 14 two minute repeats, but after the 10th one my body said no more. I only hit my goal paces for maybe half of the repeats, even after partially adjusting for the T&D. I think my math must have been wrong, but I have now saved the T&D chart on my phone for future reference!

Friday, 6/8 - 5.5 treadmill miles @ 10:01 pace while watching The Office.

Saturday, 6/9 - 4 miles @ 9:35 pace. I had to cut this run short because I had to drop Barkley off for his training camp. He will be gone for the next month and I cannot wait to get him back.

Sunday, 6/10 - HOTlanta Half! Hills, heat and humidity. Finish time of 2:01:10 with an average pace of 9:14. This was another hot mess of a run. I was supposed to run the first 9 miles at LR pace (9:10) and then pick it up for the last 4 miles at tempo (8:26). Yeah...only one of those last 4 miles was in the 8s. LOL. Mile splits were: 9:06, 8:57, 9:09, 9:19, 9:19, 9:25, 9:11, 9:05, 9:23, 9:13, 9:25, 8:38, and 10:11:confused3. The last 5k of this run is basically all hills, and between that and the heat and humidity I probably should not have even attempted tempo miles. I am stubborn and hard on myself though so I was not too happy that I didn't run like I was supposed to. Oh well, on to the next! This was half #6 of my journey for 12 half marathons in 2018, HALFWAY THERE!

Monday, 6/11 - 1 treadmill mile @ 9:45 pace. Then I got so irritated with the treadmill belt slipping that I went outside and finished the other 4 miles in the rain @ 10:25 pace.

Tuesday, 6/12 - A SUCCESSFUL SPEED WORKOUT, finally! 2 mile warm up @ 10:36 pace, 3x200m with 200m rest, 4x400m with 400m rest, 3x200m with 200m rest and 1.8 mile cool down @ 10:32 pace.

200m splits: :43, :41, :41, :42, :41, :43
400m splits: 1:47, 1:44, 1:44, 1:41
I was SO happy with this workout. I adjusted for the T&D at first, but I was actually able to complete 6 of the 10 intervals close to the goal pace of 6:50. :banana:

Wednesday, 6/13 - REST DAY!

In other news, I ordered the gorgeous and amazing Garmin Fenix 5s in rose gold during the sale they have going on and I am obsessed. I would show y'all a picture, but technology hates me and it won't work so maybe next week! :rolleyes:

Upcoming Training Schedule:
Th: 2 mile WU + 3x200m @ R (6:50) w/200m recovery + 4x1 mile @ T (7:54) with 1:00 recovery + 3x200m @ R (6:50) w/200m recovery + 1 mile CD
F: 5.5 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sa: 6 miles @ EB (9:31) and strides
Su: 8 miles @ LR (9:10)
M: 5.5 miles @ EA
Tu: 2 mile WU + 9x400m @ R w/400m recovery + 1 mile CD :o <- how I feel about this workout. LOL.

Just a double check, those 200m were in the 50s right?

Ohhhhh no, I remember what happened now. I couldn't figure out how to get my workouts loaded onto this fancy watch when I got to the track, so they were technically .10 mile repeats instead of the .12 mile because it didn't give me the option for 200m on the actual watch. :confused3 I've figured it out now though, so it is fixed for my next workouts.

Ohhhhh no, I remember what happened now. I couldn't figure out how to get my workouts loaded onto this fancy watch when I got to the track, so they were technically .10 mile repeats instead of the .12 mile because it didn't give me the option for 200m on the actual watch. :confused3 I've figured it out now though, so it is fixed for my next workouts.

Keep in mind with these short distances that it's better to have man-made object to man-made object measured distance than relying on GPS. It's super tough for GPS to be accurate at 200m. But it's a minuscule thing in the big picture. Also, don't worry about 0.1 mile vs 0.12 mile as just getting up to that pace is what really matters. But super impressive given the conditions. Keep up the great work!

Keep in mind with these short distances that it's better to have man-made object to man-made object measured distance than relying on GPS. It's super tough for GPS to be accurate at 200m. But it's a minuscule thing in the big picture. Also, don't worry about 0.1 mile vs 0.12 mile as just getting up to that pace is what really matters. But super impressive given the conditions. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! So I had 200s again yesterday and used track markings along with my watch to ensure it wasn't off. Splits were :52, :48, :49, :49, :52, :52, :50, and :50...so back where I am supposed to be! LOL. T&D was 155 yesterday because I am the fool who runs during the hottest part of the day based on my schedule.

200m splits: :43, :41, :41, :42, :41, :43
400m splits: 1:47, 1:44, 1:44, 1:41

I'm jealous. I need to do a workout like that instead of just loping along at easy A/B.

What are you training for and what rest intervals did you use for the 200/400 m repeats? Obviously, I am going to steal this workout.

Congrats on the HOTlanta Half! I can't imagine doing a half (let alone a hilly one) in this heat.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy

It's a Daniels R workout. So the following guidelines:

Pace = Current Fitness Mile Pace

Duration Limit = Short intervals no more than 60 sec and Long intervals no more than 120 sec. I manipulate the distance of the intervals based on the person's current fitness pace to be about 40-50 sec and 80-100 sec for the short and long. So some do 200/400m others 150/300m and others 100/200m. But the duration is the same for all.

Rest Intervals = Rest is 2-3x as long as the run distance in duration. So 40 seconds run is equal to 80-120 seconds rest. As written, it will show equal distance rest with the assumption the person will walk or EA the pace. Key is consistent duration run intervals. So if you need more or less rest on a day can fluctuate based on the performance of the R splits.

Total mileage of R = 5% of weekly mileage. So run 30 miles in a week and you get 1.5 miles total R (not including the rest breaks) in a single workout. You can have more R than 5% for the totality of the week, but no more than 5% in a single individual workout.

Fill in remainder of run with WU, CD, and RI. The R run can be a standalone, or in combination with Daniels I (3k pace) or Daniels T (LT pace). Combinatorial runs increase the difficulty.

I'm jealous. I need to do a workout like that instead of just loping along at easy A/B.

What are you training for and what rest intervals did you use for the 200/400 m repeats? Obviously, I am going to steal this workout.

Congrats on the HOTlanta Half! I can't imagine doing a half (let alone a hilly one) in this heat.

@DopeyBadger explained the workout WAY better than me (of course, he's the best coach there is!), but I will confirm that I walk at least half of the recovery interval and then slowly jog the second half before the work starts again just to ease my legs back into speed.

Thank you! It was much, much hotter than last year's half and I totally forgot the layout of the course. It is a well put on race though; they have water stops at every mile and handed out cold towels at three of the water stops. There's pretty good crowd support, especially at the last water stop on the course. The amount of runners was much smaller this year, so I hope they can continue to hold the race!

Edited to answer what I am training for, whoops! The next "goal" race is the Area 13.1 half in Roswell in August, then marathon training will start again with the hopes of breaking 4 hours in December!

Thanks! (Sorry @KSellers88 to hijack your journal!)

'Current Fitness Mile Pace' is a flat out mile, after warm up? or mile pace during a 5K/10K/half/...?

Is it a bad idea to go from no speed work, mostly easy A/B, some marathon tempo to introducing this?

If so, how do I build up to it?

LOL, hijack away! I love reading his feedback anyway! Learn something new every post.

Remember area 13.1 race is short. Last year my garmin said 12.6 miles. At the time it was a PR but I could not consider it one. Thankfully darkside half this year is my PR and I know that course is not short.

Remember area 13.1 race is short. Last year my garmin said 12.6 miles. At the time it was a PR but I could not consider it one. Thankfully darkside half this year is my PR and I know that course is not short.

I knew someone had said that before, but could not remember who! Thanks for the reminder! Not sure I can run much faster of a pace than my half in April since this one will be in the heat of summer anyway, so I won't be too bummed if it is short again.

Also I ran it I think 1:54 or so, and the last 10 minutes of the race I wished I had my headlamp. I am glad I did not carry it the whole time, but you might want something cheap and lightweight, even if it does not produce strong light it might be helpful. Besides having a side stitch at the end slowing me down I was extremely worried about foot placement. Basically you can do it without a headlamp but it will be dark the last mile. I do like the medal though :)

Also I ran it I think 1:54 or so, and the last 10 minutes of the race I wished I had my headlamp. I am glad I did not carry it the whole time, but you might want something cheap and lightweight, even if it does not produce strong light it might be helpful. Besides having a side stitch at the end slowing me down I was extremely worried about foot placement. Basically you can do it without a headlamp but it will be dark the last mile. I do like the medal though :)

Thanks! I have a small light that attaches to my hats so I might just take that, because I hate headlamps with a passion. LOL. I appreciate the tip, because knowing me I would definitely trip over a branch or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!