Vero beach v marco island v sarosota

magicmouse2

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan our next main vacation so that we spend 1 week in the parks and 1 at the beach to relax. I cant decide which beach/resort is best for our family. The beaches at siesta key look really nice, so does marco island. How does Vero beach compare to these beaches ?

:boat: Siesta Key is a very wide beach with powder white (quartz) sand. The public beach area is quite large with plenty of parking. The gulf is usually very calm with few waves. I haven't been to Vero or Marco since we had the hurricanes visit last summer--so I'm not sure of any damage to those beaches. I do know that if you are looking for waves (the Atlantic Ocean kind) then Vero is the place to go.
When are you planning to visit? The Gulf gets very warm in the summer but has really cooled off now---is down to 60 degrees.
Prior to moving ot Florida--we always used to do 1 week WDW and 1 week at a Gulf Beach (Captiva)--you have the BEST of both worlds !! :boat:

We spent this past weekend at Marco Island, at the Marriott on the beach. The beach is wide, beautiful and there was no evidence of hurricane damage.

Bobbi :boat:

The gulf sand is always better! :)

That said, we're going to VB for Spring Break because we've never been there and we'd like to use our points.

I'd give anything for a DVC resort on the Gulf.

Gulf sand is different, it's like crushed and compacted shells. It's nice, but I'm an ocean lover, and it will always be VB that I prefer.

Bobbi :boat:

Thanks for all your help. I think it would probably be better to go to a gulf beach as I think it would be safer - no strong waves. I have looked at the world passport collection and have narrowed it down to two resorts, Eagles point (?) on Marco Island, or white sands resort Sarasota - I think Long boat key (?). I hope these are good choices, I am looking for condo type accomodation, beachfront - so we can watch the sunset, kids activities, snorkelling, scuba. It will most likely be August when we visit. Thanks for the ideas and help. :flower1:

I can't get into the member site at this time...

But we used to have another resort on LongBoat Key called the "Veranda Beach Club."

My husband and I have never stayed there, but we've visited there a few times when we were considering buying a week there. It's a nice condo - not too large - with a couple of tennis courts, a neat pool that is partially under roof, and a great beach area. Their brochure even touted an indoor racquetball court - but we never got to see it.

If this resort is still available - I would consider it, also.

Marco is a beach resort very much like the New Jersy shore. Lots to do but it always has that tourist trap feel to it. Vero is completely different. Quiet, laid back and relaxing. I have some pictures of the beach taken just before New Years. The numbered photos on the following page are new Vero pictures.

http://homepage.mac.com/dlangtry/Memories/PhotoAlbum8.html

If you like to surf, then you have to go to Vero where there are better waves. Good luck and have fun deciding :smooth: :cool1:

Keep in mind it depends on when you visit. If in summer or early fall when the water is warmest the gulf waters may experience red tide. If you are not familiar with red tide it is a brownish red algae that grows and kills the fish. Sometimes dead fish wash up on the beach and the water smells funny. Also you may experience a cough from the algae irritating your lungs. We experienced it but still enjoyed our trip to Siesta Key in summer. Just something you should be aware of. Siesta key sand is the softest and whitest sand and feels cool on your feet even in summer. Less waves on the gulf coast-water is calmer. If it is not summer or fall or if the red tide issue doesn't bother you then I would say Siesta Key is the place to be. Both Siesta Key and vero are 2 hours from disney-just in opposite directions

You are talking about three very different venues, and the best answer may depend on the composition of your family. I'm also assuming (from your signature) that you are vacationing in April '06. If the time of the visit is different, that could well affect your choice.

Vero - Vero is on the Atlantic Coast, which means real ocean. Depending on the winds, you could have great surf, and you are sure to have much more wave action and more of a pronounced drop-off in water depth. Vero is not really near anything, although Kennedy Space Center is easily driveable. Seems to me, Vero would be the choice for a quiet, restful time. In April, the water will be cold to us, but may be fine for you.

Sarasota - To me, Sarasota is one of the prettiest parts of Florida. It will eventually get overbuilt and generic, but it's not there yet. The water, as others have mentioned, is the Gulf of Mexico, which will be warmer than the Atlantic and virtually wave-free. If you have small children, the Gulf (either Sarasota or Marco) may be more enjoyable for them. Algae blooms (red tide, etc) are occasional events and I certainly would not worry about them much.

You mentioned Siesta Key, which is south of Sarasota. The other, more prominent area is Longboat Key. St Armand's Circle in Longboat is one of my favorite places in Florida to just walk around. A stop at the Columbia Restaurant (very famous Ybor City Spanish restaurant) for a 1905 Salad and one or more Ybor Golds is required on every trip. There are several wonderful restaurants in the Longboat Key area, in addition to the Columbia.

We've only stayed at Longboat once (several years ago). We stayed at the Hilton, which is a place I will NEVER stay again. It was a dump - cheaply constructed, dingy and dank, really awful. They have a policy of forfeiting your room rent if you check out early, which tells you a lot. But there are many nice places to stay in Longboat.

Marco -- As mentioned, Marco Island is much more of a touristy area, located south of Naples on the Gulf. If you don't mind touristy, it's a great place. In addition to beach stuff, Marco is near Naples, which is a beautiful town.

If you are into nature, Marco is easily the best choice. Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary is nearby, as is Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve (home of the Ghost Orchids) and Ding Darling Preserve on Sanibel Island. To the south is the Gulf Coast entrance to Everglades National Park (at Everglades City). To the east are Big Cypress National Preserve (home of the endangered Florida Panther) and the Shark Valley entrance of Everglades National Park -- by far the best place to experience the Everglades. (Everglades NP is home to 69 endangered and threatened species.)

In April, you should have nesting Wood Storks (endangered) at Corkscrew. At Big Cy and Everglades, you will see numerous individual birds, but the big flocks will have moved out. However, the water levels in Everglades will be very low, which means the wildlife will be concentrated around the remaining water. If you take the two-hour Shark Valley tram tour, you will see literally hundreds of alligators up close and personal.

Good luck with your planning and have a great trip!

We have been going to Longboat for over 20 years and can't miss a Spring Break there. White Sands is very nice, although I have not been in a unit in 5 years. Their resort has both bay and gulf access and they have units on both sides. Personally I love being right on the beach, so if you stayed there I would make sure you know where your unit will be. Its not a huge resort and they have a pleasant pool area. I have walked through Veranda, but have not been in any units, the resort is also small and pleasant.

Great restaurants in St. Armand's and on the Key. Columbia and Chart House can't be missed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter