• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

VERY Impressed with Davids

You have to remember that DVC has already changed their take on renting points once before when they changed the number of contracts a person could be an associate on. That changed David's mode of operation. Their attorneys could come up with another fly in the ointment to make it not as easy to rent out points.

So, you're suggesting that Disney's attorneys may implement a way to eliminate the ability for a DVC member to rent their points - and this would, by definition, include Disney? The change a few years ago to limit the number of associate members has placed no hardship on those choosing to rent their own points and I might suggest it has made it even simpler for rental brokers since they no longer need to convince members to give them any access to their membership in any way. With the current program used by David's, the member only needs to make a reservation for another person and the broker does all the rest - including providing the name of the renter for the reservation, collecting the funds and paying the member. We have never had a report of a member not receiving payment from David's or from a renter not having a reservation at arrival.

IMO, there is no way for DVC to remove the ability to rent points by DVC Members unless they are willing to remove all cash reservations as an option for DVC resorts including through DRC.

The ability for members to rent DVC reservations using their points has been in place since 1991 without modification and includes the same ability for DVC and DVD to rent their available points using the Disney reservation system. Our POS makes it clear that DVC members are "at a disadvantage" renting reservations, as they will receive no assistance from Disney, but that the renting of reservations is expressly allowed.

While some misinformed MS reps have erroneously suggested to members that renting is not allowed, no member has ever reported being censured for making a reservation for someone else. DVC has suggested a review of memberships making 20 or more reservations in a single year and there is certainly vague mention of "commercial purpose" in the POS documents - but there has never been a firm definition of that "purpose" provided other than "in the determination of the directors". I would suggest that the main entity making DVC reservations in excess of 20 per year is Disney themselves.

Certainly the current business plan for a rental broker has become more clear if anything since members continue to make reservations for others without penalty - just as they have for almost 23 years now, including Disney themselves. The online reservation has simplified it further since even calls to MS have been eliminated in most cases.

Just rented out points we were not going to use in 2014. David's was fantastic! Only took 24hrs from listing to payment!

I've used David's 3 times in the past, and they were absolutely wonderful. I've referred 2 of my DVC friends to them, and they had similar experiences. Earlier this month, I realized that we had 89 points expiring in May, and tried to rent them through David's, but apparently, they can not accommodate us at the regular rate this time, because our points expire soon. The best they can offer me is $6 per point, and they are telling me that even that is limited. They are telling me my chances would be better if I took even less, like $3-$4 a point. I was really disappointed to hear that, since it was never a problem before. So far, I haven't even received any offers for $6 a point, so it looks like I'll eventually have to settle for less. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are there other places that rent Disney points? I really love David's, because I trust them and they are wonderful to work with, but I wanted to see if I had any other options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter