Video Help and Suggestions

Letterhead

Mouseketeer
Having "wasted" (or in my opinion, spent wisely) literal days, if not weeks of our lives watching videos on Youtube of other people in Disney Parks and Resorts, and reviewing or showing off their Disney related purchases, we have decided we should record some videos on our upcoming trip to DLP.

I know a bit about DSLR cameras, but not much as about video recording cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions on what sort of video camera to buy, or least what is the minimum quality we should be looking at.

I have been looking at the Canon RF 806 (as I have a Canon DSLR), but I don't think it can do wide angled shots, whereas the next model up, the R88 can (but is 50% more expensive).

Can anyone advise if either of them would do a good job of recording both in the parks, and at home on a tripod?

Thoughts...
  • DSLR video looks great with that large sensor, but there are issues
    • which lens is on that DSLR? is there enough zoom? Camcorders with smaller zoom lenses offer more optical zoom.
    • image stabilization? Is it noisy to the DSLR video?
    • auto-focus? Do you hear a lot of mechanical activity with the focus hunting? Canon has STM lenses to minimize this problem..... do you have STM lenses? Does you camera support STM lenses?
    • number of microphones for stereo or surround sound audio?
  • things I look for in a camcorder
    • forward facing microphones? Top facing microphones are poor outdoors without a ceiling to reflect sound.
    • battery life... how long can you record before needing to change batteries. Do you want to invest is a bigger or the biggest battery for that model
    • low light.... does it have a light if you need it?
    • can the battery and media card be changed while the camera is still mounted on the tripod?
    • how much optical and digital zoom do you need? Most people say digital zoom is useless, but I found it very handy when tracking boat racing teams a half mile away.
    • Are you happy with HD? Full HD? 4K? Love 3D? Do have a HD, 4K or 3D tv?
    • BTW..... does that tripod have a fluid head to chase after moving subjects

I have been looking at the Canon RF 806 (as I have a Canon DSLR), but I don't think it can do wide angled shots, whereas the next model up, the R88 can (but is 50% more expensive).

Can anyone advise if either of them would do a good job of recording both in the parks, and at home on a tripod?

Unlike still camera you can do a pan (SLOW PAN)

This is an interesting read
https://www.videomaker.com/tips-to-get-started

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter