• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Viewing recommendations for Space Shuttle launch?

udnylad

Mouseketeer
Hi Folks

I have just found out there will be a Space Shuttle launch on the 19th July (weather and lack of technical problems allowing). :) Where would you recommend for viewing a Space Shuttle launch from?
We were not planning to go to KSC during this trip. ;)

There are numerous places near KSC where you'll get a great view of the launch, but I've never done this, so can't help with names or directions! I'm sure others here will be able to help with that.

However, if you want to see the launch without actually going over to view it, you can see an awful lot from most places in Orlando - you just have to know which direction to look in at the right time! I know this can't be nearly as exciting as being on hand at the launch site, but I've viewed two launches this way (one from Magic Kingdom and one from POR grounds) and they were still amazing experiences even from that distance.

We saw a nighttime launch in 2000. The best thing to do is to drive towards Kennedy and when you see everyone else parking up on the side of the road just do the same. Tune your car radio in to the kennedy space channel and it will talk you through whats happening up to and including the launch. The earlier yo leave it the closer you get. we got about a third of the way there and the road was chocka so we pulled on the side of the road and watched it- it was breathtaking. The americans will tell you which way to look.

Hi Morven

We are also hoping to see the launch on the 19th, the latest time of launch is between 9am-1pm so I guess it will be another early rise:rolleyes: We are going to risk going to the space centre for that day and see what happens when we get there.

See you at the boardwalk on the 21st:)

Bekki

We've watched a launch from World Showcase and, although we weren't very close, it was still an incredible spectacle with the whole park coming to a standstill.

I've just heard that all shuttle launches are cancelled until further notice. Cracks on the engines apparently.

I hope everythings okay again by the time you go.

Just my luck!!

We have been going to Florida fo 9 years now and never managed to see a launch yet. They have been scheduled and cancelled during our stay about 5 times now.....maybe i'm a jinx :(

Fingers crossed for Feb '03.

LOL Sue.

It took us 4 times to see a shuttle launch. The worst was when it went 10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3 launch aborted we were gutted it was something to do with a computer error but Nic and the amerecan guy next to us said it was because the shuttle had a woman driver!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter