Villas at the Wilderness Lodge

Miffy2003

<font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak
Good morning,

The 7 month window has rolled around (already :scared1: ) for our August trip. Well, is starts on Monday but I think MS is closed, so Tuesday it will be ;) Anyway I digress!

We are hoping to switch to BCV for the first 11 nights of our stay but knowing how popular BCV is I started thinking, if we can't get it where else should we try?

I like the idea of VWL. We have visited the WL (never stayed) a few times and really like it there! What are the villas like and do you have any other comments or thoughts?? We would just have a studio.

Thank you :)

Karen

BCV and BWV are rather interchangeable, IMHO. VWL is different: Better in many ways, and under the right circumstances, far better.

While it doesn't have walk-in access to any theme parks, it has direct water launch to/from MK, and that's nice. Where BCV and BWV are located so that you cannot mistake that they're there for the theme parks, VWL is located on a beautiful lake. It could truly be a stand-alone resort; I could see myself just spending a week there relaxing, without visiting the theme parks.

VWL is our Home Resort, so I may be biased ;), but I agree that it has a wonderful sense of remoteness from the theme parks. The boat ride over to MK is delightful in itself (as long as you don't have to wait too long!), and accessing the other parks has been fine in our experience, even though we'd heard reports to the contrary.

I love the resort itself, especially the public areas inside and out. However, I must admit that I didn't immediately love the studio we stayed in a couple of years ago. Although VWL is our 'home', we've only ever had three nights in a studio there, and that was coming straight from a GV in OKW, so maybe my expectations were unrealistically high! I have preferred the studios we've had in BWV and OKW. I found the walk from the villas to the main lodge a bit of a pain sometimes, and we seemed to be miles away from Roaring Forks (hugely improved since we first stayed there) if we wanted to grab a quick snack or drink. I felt the villas were definitely separate from the main lodge - that could be a good or bad point, depending on your view.

Our VWL studio was on the ground floor, so we had a patio with a lot of undergrowth encroaching on it, and I was a bit hesitant about sitting out there in the evenings! If we'd been on a higher floor with a balcony, I think I would have been much more inclined to sit and relax in the woodsy environment, happy that I wasn't about to be joined by any local wildlife! ;)

I certainly hope to go back one day, and I'm now thinking about adding VWL to our waitlist for March in case BCV or BWV don't come through. It is a beautiful resort. ::yes:: sigh ....

Good morning Karen :wave2:

Like you, I've visited WL but never stayed so in November I went for 2 nights with my friend to the hotel (it was a weekend of course!) and we really enjoyed it.

Of course, it's not the villas, which I'm certain I'd prefer (but the one bed arrangement puts me off unless just travelling with DH) and we were at the end of a long corridor - made me think of BWV in that respect - and not an issue with the VWL I would guess. I personally didn't care for the dark colour scheme, but my friend loved it.

I liked popping into Roaring Forks and enjoyed the food selections we had, and also the electric Water Pageant was good too. I wouldn't make a special detour to see it, but it was a bonus as we were there.

I doubt my response will be that helpful since I'm happy I stayed there, and will always visit the resort to eat and enjoy the atmosphere, but I don't think I will stay again.

That's because OKW will always be my favourite as I'm not a theme park junkie and like the car outside the door, landscaping, large units and easy access to offsite dining, shopping etc. For the same reasons, I'd probably pick 'your' resort of SSR over VWL.*

I know you loved the BWV when you stayed last year and so do I - for a few days - which is why I got a small add-on there. Good luck with getting exactly what you want. :goodvibes You will let us know won't you?

* Edited to add that I only realised this after I'd actually stayed at WL.

Hi Karen,

We spent 2 weeks at the VWL in August last year and will be spending 12 nights there in July/August this year! The Villas area of WL is lovely and peaceful. The quiet pool is one of the best kept secrets anywhere in the World (don't tell anyone!!). As everyone has said, the boat to the MK is a great start/end to your day and we didn't have any problems with the bus service to the other parks/area of the World.

You could always try the Villas for a week and then transfer over to the BCV later. That's exactly what we are doing. 12 nights at VWL and then Animal Kingdom Lodge for the weekend (don't like the point values at weekends!) and onto the BCV for the last 5 nights.

Have fun deciding and, as always, let us know when you decide!!

Andy

We are happy to stay at OKW in August as we love this resort but for our Christmas trip I am thinking of VWL as an option. We would like to get an Epcot resort but I am doubtful that we would get 7 months at Christmas - we probably wouldn't get VWL then either but I wouldn't mind trying it.

I know you like the Epcot resorts but think it would be a good back-up if they are gone and you don't want to waitlist. Have you checked the DVC boards to see what chance you have of getting one

We stayed at VWL for four nights last year :) I really enjoyed it there. The girls will love the pool and activities Karen. The access to MK on the boat is brilliant and we had no problems getting to other parks at all.

We had the studio with the 'dumpster' view that they all talk about :) Even then we loved our room and if you looked over the dumpster you could see wood land;) We were down the end of a long corridoor too but I would definately go back and stay there one day.

Guys thank you so much for your responses - they are really helpful.

bicker - for me part of the appeal of BCV / BWV is the proximity to the parks, but I think for a trip with no parks I would prefer to be at VWL for sure. This trip we are doing parks though. VWL does sound lovely!

Hilary - biased? No never I am sure ;) You have said one of my concerns which is the separation from the main lodge and distance to Roaring Forks. Howveer I suspect this would be no different to BCV... or would it? I have made a very careful mental note to request a room not on the ground floor!!! I couldn't be coping with wildlife round my feet :teeth:

Moira - DH has agreed that as we have stayed at SSR 2 trips out of 2 he will miss it this time (assuming we can get in elsewhere). It was a hard fought battle :teeth: You see part of me thinks I would prefer the WL to the VWL (for a weekend some time perhaps) so it's interesting what you say. It's also interessting that you say you enjoyed it but wouldn't go back... but I guess like you say your priorities may differ from ours at WDW (we will be having some days at the end to do some offsite stuff so being near to that while we are DVCing isn't quite so important as it might otherwise be!)

Andy
- Thank you I imagine the boat is a lovely way to travel. I like your idea of some time at each definitely - but we are already doing a similar plan to yours and I think another move might just be one too many for us! I do like to experience different resorts though so normally I would go for that idea totally. (We are doing 11 nights DVC / 4 nights HRH & 5 nights offsite villa)> it looks like you and others all agree the buses are fine which pleases me no end!

JakkiI think VWL would be especially lovely at Xmas. The tree at WL in December 04 was absolutely out of this world! I haven't asked on the main DVC boards partly because I don't want to tempt fate ;)

Kaylee Well if you still liked it even with the dumpster view that must be good ;) I liked the look of the pool when we saw it and I'm sure you're right that the girls would too.

Thank you all ever so much for your really helpful advice. I am confident now if we can't get BCV we will enjoy a stay at VWL (was there any doubt?).

I think this would make me reassess our dining decisions. DH & I have a very long list of possible restaurantd for August,. but if we do end up at VWL I will instead go for MK resort diniing I think in the main.... 'Ohana, Cali Grill, Narcossees, Artist Point spring immediately to mind :)

Thanks again :)

I will post back on Tuesday and let you know how we get on :)

Hope you get VWL, its our fav and have stayed there many times. Had a visit to the other resorts today - its freezing and windy - and glad we own at VWL and BCV's. Had a superb meal at the yachtsman steakhouse last night and can really see the attraction of bcv's - especially when you walk round the lake at night and take in the entertainment at boardwalk and the fireworks at epcot.

We love vwl because of the way it feels in the middle of nowhere, but in reality you are only a 5 min boat ride from the magic kingdom and the monorail. For us, it takes a lot of beating.

Saratoga is starting to grow on us, but is very big and spread out where as vwl and bcv feel more "together".

Whatever your decision, remember that you have the next 40 odd years to try the rest. ..... We really are a lucky bunch :)

regards

David (from a freezing cold saratoga springs ;))

Miffy2003 said:
It's also interesting that you say you enjoyed it but wouldn't go back... but I guess like you say your priorities may differ from ours at WDW (we will be having some days at the end to do some offsite stuff so being near to that while we are DVCing isn't quite so important as it might otherwise be!)

I only wouldn't go back because I've now 'done it' - stayed at WL like I always wanted - but am welded firmly to my favourites of OKW and BWV (to a lesser extent)!

I was thinking about my post last night (do I need a life or what?) and whilst we no longer spend a great deal of time in the parks, when we were younger and DS was a child, we were true park commandos and went for cheap and cheerful accommodation at LBV - I would have thought I was in heaven if I could have afforded WL back then ::yes:: The old 'ages and stages' thing I guess.

Fingers crossed for when MS opens on Tuesday :flower:

Pootle said:
I was thinking about my post last night (do I need a life or what?) and whilst we no longer spend a great deal of time in the parks, when we were younger and DS was a child, we were true park commandos and went for cheap and cheerful accommodation at LBV - I would have thought I was in heaven if I could have afforded WL back then ::yes:: The old 'ages and stages' thing I guess.

Too true Moira. I also remember visiting the more expensive Disney resorts and thinking I'd never be able to stay there.
Now, with DVC, I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else.

Kev

MickeyMcMouse said:
We really are a lucky bunch :)

regards

David (from a freezing cold saratoga springs ;))

Absolutely David :)

I hope it warms up for you too. Please enjoy the rest of your trip!

Kevin Stringer said:
Too true Moira. I also remember visiting the more expensive Disney resorts and thinking I'd never be able to stay there.
Now, with DVC, I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else.

Kev

I also remember looking up at the people on their balconies at the Boardwalk when we were waiting for a bus, never dreaming that 2 years later that would be us!!

We are so lucky to be able to stay in such fantastic resorts at the most magical place in the World!

Well, I got my first 4 nights at BCV in the end.... there was plenty of availability at BCV & VWL according to MS so I am going to wait until Friday and then book a further 3 nights :)

If I can't get BCV for the entire trip but can get VWL I will stay at VWL and have a lovely time there - thank you again for all your feedback :)

Miffy2003 said:
Well, I got my first 4 nights at BCV in the end.... there was plenty of availability at BCV & VWL according to MS so I am going to wait until Friday and then book a further 3 nights :)

If I can't get BCV for the entire trip but can get VWL I will stay at VWL and have a lovely time there - thank you again for all your feedback :)

Great news :)

Great news Karen - fingers crossed for the rest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter