VIP Tours and RotR Discussion

Hi!! :)

When we went in late December, they had just started the system where you couldn't tap in to secure a BG until official park opening. Our VIP Guide got us there in time for RD (6:00 am on our tour day), but the issue, at that time, was that the VIP Tours ticketing system at DHS had a 5 minute delay from official park opening until VIP guests could tap in (it has something to do with their hand-held equipment not being tied to the tapstiles). That 5 minute delay was compounded by the fact that there were 5 VIP groups (at least 40 or so guests altogether) all tapping in to one VIP hand-held ticket scanner. By the time we scanned in at 6:07 am, we were only able to secure a back-up BG which was fine with us as I knew nothing was guaranteed and it at least gave us a possible chance to ride. We ended up getting some pixie dust from guest services who moved our BG up so we could ride earlier in the day, but it was completely unexpected. VIP Tour services were very upfront with us that they could not get us on the ride, so we were happy with the back-up BG we got and super happy with the pixie dust.

The possible issue I see with your tour, however, is, recently the BG's and back-up BG's have been running out in, literally, minutes (I think today all BGs were gone by 8:03 am - 3 minutes after opening). If there is still a 5 minute delay in tapping in to DHS for VIP guests, your chances of getting any BG may be slim to none and I really don't know if your VIP guide can intervene and help if you don't secure a BG at all.

If I were you, I would call VIP Tour services and ask if there is still a ticket scanning delay and, if so, how they are navigating the delay with guests who are trying to get a BG. If the delay has been eliminated, you will, at least, have a better chance of snagging a BG or back-up BG, but, again, there are no guarantees.
This is really good info to know! I would hope we can tap in early by now, but I will be calling and asking for sure!!! I think even backup BGs were gone within 90 seconds this weekend and we are going over spring break. Thank you!

Thanks all -- this has been really helpful info. A follow up question -- how have your dealings with signature services been? My impression is they are less helpful than they used to be. Its been impossible to reach them on the phone (very significant wait times every time I tried, so I have to give up). And they won't commit to things via email, they tell me to call. I'm getting very frustrated as I try to work out these issues for my upcoming tour so I really appreciate that I can at least get this info from all of you.

Thanks all -- this has been really helpful info. A follow up question -- how have your dealings with signature services been? My impression is they are less helpful than they used to be. Its been impossible to reach them on the phone (very significant wait times every time I tried, so I have to give up). And they won't commit to things via email, they tell me to call. I'm getting very frustrated as I try to work out these issues for my upcoming tour so I really appreciate that I can at least get this info from all of you.

Not putting things in writing is pretty par for the course for some topics, so that part doesn’t surprise me. It’s just the way they are.

I think the new FP tiers are DHS, coupled with MFSR and MMRR being added to FPs has likely ratcheted up their inbounds for things like the CL FP service and tours. Yours isn’t the first report I’ve seen of long hold times.

thanks . . .although I'm sad to have my experience confirmed. It used to actually be a VIP experience. not so much anymore.

Not Neil Patrick Harris
I was so worried as everything and everyone I spoke to at VIP said no guarantee of Rise and that was our main reason for going for the day.
Just relaying what our experience was this week. After 50 plus trips to Disney, this was the most crowded I have ever seen any park (with the exception of 12/31/99 in Epcot)

Maybe it has changed now for the tour. My travel agent told me they added MFSR a few months after it opened without any notice or fanfare, so maybe that is what happened with Rise this week. Let’s hope it was wasn’t a one-off. Glad you got to experience it like this!

I would call 3 days prior to a scheduled VIP tour and unless they unequivocally guarantee access to ROTR, cancel the tour (which can be done without penalty 48 hours ahead).

Not Neil Patrick Harris
I was so worried as everything and everyone I spoke to at VIP said no guarantee of Rise and that was our main reason for going for the day.
Just relaying what our experience was this week. After 50 plus trips to Disney, this was the most crowded I have ever seen any park (with the exception of 12/31/99 in Epcot)

So at 8 am did the VIP guide have to get you a BG, or did they just let you go thru the FP line like the rest of the VIP tour works?

Well I am happy to report our VIP experience was amazing!
Arrived at 8am, we rode Smugglers Run three times, then walked over to Rise and we got right in.
No messing around with BG or apps.

@chicagodisneyfan Can you please tell us more? Did your guide get you a BP or just take you into the fp line? Was it a regular Disney vip your or the $12,000 one?
We have a tour booked for one day in March, and having access to RotR on the tour would drastically change our plan for the week. Thanks!

I was just on a vip tour with a great guide named Ace on feb 21, and we did not get on ROTR.

We got to the park at 8:30 so we’re late, but were not offered anything for it.
Thanks for your report. Sorry you weren’t able to get on.

I was just on a vip tour with a great guide named Ace on feb 21, and we did not get on ROTR.

We got to the park at 8:30 so we’re late, but were not offered anything for it.
Sorry you didn’t get on. Just curious if you started late on purpose or if something happened. Our current plan with our tour is to get picked up 30 mins before park opening to make sure we are there in time to get a BG. Thanks!

Sorry you didn’t get on. Just curious if you started late on purpose or if something happened. Our current plan with our tour is to get picked up 30 mins before park opening to make sure we are there in time to get a BG. Thanks!

We were checking out of hard rock hotel at universal, and we were renting a car from Avis which is inside the hotel. They don’t open until 8am. Originally the hours were showing HS opening at 9am, so that would have been fine to at least attempt to get a BG. About two weeks before, disney changed it to 8am. I didn’t feel like trying to change our plans so we got there at 830. I suppose we could have found a rental car that opens earlier, but we didn’t.

Not Neil Patrick Harris

So did the guide actually get you a boarding group or did they just walk you in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!