Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy

Ashleylvsgoofy

Mrs Harris
Just wondering what people think is a good price for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy with Virgin

Have the opportunity to upgrade so wondering about costs :)

When are you travelling? What could be considered a 'good' price at Christmas will differ greatly to a 'good' price in the quieter periods.

Cheapest I've ever upgraded from Eco to Prem is £500 return, for two people. Would have paid almost that in extra baggage!

I'm not sure what was going on when we booked our holiday with Virgin (yes we went with Virgin holidays rather than direct with Disney.. not sure if that was a smart move still or not.. I guess I will find out at 60 days when FPs open up). Anyway.. PE upgrade for both legs of our trip was coming out at £1,500 or so for two adults. But for some crazy reason the cost for the upgrade on the return journey was only £50 each.. So I snapped that up in a heartbeat. But PE upgrade on the way out isn't an option for us it seems. First world problems I know!

The prices will start to increase for the Christmas period so I'd guess a total price of around £1600 - £1700 would be good for premium.

We have been lucky enough to have been upgraded free twice from economy to PE (family of 4) on the Home leg.
I assumed that fewer people will pay extra to sleep than will pay on a daytime flight.
The first time we checked in at the then Downtown Disney and we had pre-booked seats which they then gave us different boarding passes with different seats on them. I queried it and they said ‘oh you’re going in the bubble instead’ I had no idea what they meant
The crew member then explained we were all being upgraded. Happy days

We have been lucky enough to have been upgraded free twice from economy to PE (family of 4) on the Home leg.
I assumed that fewer people will pay extra to sleep than will pay on a daytime flight.
The first time we checked in at the then Downtown Disney and we had pre-booked seats which they then gave us different boarding passes with different seats on them. I queried it and they said ‘oh you’re going in the bubble instead’ I had no idea what they meant
The crew member then explained we were all being upgraded. Happy days
Was that a while ago? Almost unheard of nowadays!!

We always book with Virgin Holidays and for our trip this year the brochure showed that the upgrade to PE was from £199/person/flight so I expected the price to jump by around £800 for the two of us. We go to our local Virgin outlet so as to book with a real live person rather than online or via the phone and were very pleasantly surprised when the price for the upgrade was closer to £600 for the trip. Have always found that we pay a lot less than the brochure prices when we book direct with one of their agents (we are Frequent Virgin members so we get a 10% discount and we are also Flying Club members so we pick up the airmiles for the trip). You can get a discount if you are Flying Club members but it is not as much as you get by being Frequent Virgin members.

I was interested in the comment about booking direct with Disney - with packages booked with tour operators here you get all the perks included such as Free Dining, Photo Pass and Memory Maker and even some Disney Dollars to spend as long you book within a certain time period. Does booking direct give you all of these or are the prices low enough that you can afford to add them and pay less than the UK tour operator's prices?

Does booking direct give you all of these or are the prices low enough that you can afford to add them and pay less than the UK tour operator's prices?

Booking direct on the UK Disney site gives you all the same perks. They are part of the UK ticket, and nothing to do with who you book with.

Booking direct on the UK Disney site gives you all the same perks. They are part of the UK ticket, and nothing to do with who you book with.
Just had a quick look and built a 3 week stay dummy booking based on September next year. Interestingly I was only offered 3 moderate resorts - CS, CB and a cabin at FW. No offer for POR or POFQ which is where we like to stay. Upgraded dining plan to QS only to QS+TS, added 21 day park ticket and ended up with a price that was over £6,000 excluding flights. This year we are staying 3 weeks at POFQ, flying PE with Virgin and have upgraded dining plan to QS+TS and it cost us less than £6,800 and we also got $200 spending - Disney offer only had $100. As a matter of interest the Virgin prices in the 2019/20 brochure are lower than those in the 2018/19 brochure so if we had booked for 2019 instead of 2018 then our total cost would have dropped by around £400 which would put it very close to the Disney price (which doesn't include flights). On this basis I think that we will stick with Virgin for 2021. The $200 spending from Virgin is time sensitive so if you book after a certain date then this too drops to $100.

Just had a quick look and built a 3 week stay dummy booking based on September next year. Interestingly I was only offered 3 moderate resorts - CS, CB and a cabin at FW. No offer for POR or POFQ which is where we like to stay. Upgraded dining plan to QS only to QS+TS, added 21 day park ticket and ended up with a price that was over £6,000 excluding flights. This year we are staying 3 weeks at POFQ, flying PE with Virgin and have upgraded dining plan to QS+TS and it cost us less than £6,800 and we also got $200 spending - Disney offer only had $100. As a matter of interest the Virgin prices in the 2019/20 brochure are lower than those in the 2018/19 brochure so if we had booked for 2019 instead of 2018 then our total cost would have dropped by around £400 which would put it very close to the Disney price (which doesn't include flights). On this basis I think that we will stick with Virgin for 2021. The $200 spending from Virgin is time sensitive so if you book after a certain date then this too drops to $100.

Be careful, Virgin have been taking bookings for next year and appear to be overbooking on site hotels, with people being told they are being moved to other onsite hotels.

Also, 2019 has very little in the way of availability Sept Onwards, alot of Deluxe hotels only have suites and Club Level available. - There is something really odd happening with 2019, I can only assume it's something to do with Star Wars, or maybe the re-distribution of the tiers (there being none!) in the future.

The $200 is time sensitive with Disney Direct too.

Be careful, Virgin have been taking bookings for next year and appear to be overbooking on site hotels, with people being told they are being moved to other onsite hotels.

Also, 2019 has very little in the way of availability Sept Onwards, alot of Deluxe hotels only have suites and Club Level available. - There is something really odd happening with 2019, I can only assume it's something to do with Star Wars, or maybe the re-distribution of the tiers (there being none!) in the future.

The $200 is time sensitive with Disney Direct too.
After our trip this year we are not planning to go again until 2021. As most of the new stuff is coming online throughout 2019/20 we thought that it would be better to wait that extra year. We also book very early to make sure that we get the resort and deals that we want - for this trip we booked 430 days out. With regard to POR it is included in the Disney UK welcome page but had no availability for September when I built the dummy - I think that this has a lot to do with Star Wars although the projected opening date is not until the Fall of 2019 - suppose it depends on what is considered to be the Fall in Florida!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!