Virtual Queue Questions

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
I've been seeing reports that there have been long standby wait times, particularly over the weekends. I've been under the impression that Universal was starting VQs when/if standby lines grew to a certain point in order to accommodate social distancing and avoid having people wait in line. Is this no longer the case? Just trying to understand when/how VQs are used.

it is only on weekends but i can't seem to keep track of which attractions are VQ and which aren't. Upon first opening i remember seeing Kong, Hagrids', Mummy, Fallon, and Gringotts VQ. Maybe even more than that but i can't be certain.

This past saturday i was looking at wait times (because i unfortunately have my first park day this coming saturday and am very nervous) and i only saw Hagrids', Fallon and Mummy with options for VQ.

i hope you/i get some input from someone who has been there on a weekend!

Thanks. I will be there on a Saturday too, so curious what to expect. Seems like most rides would go to VQ after they first opened, and it now seems like much less.

Bumping... anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason as to when they use virtual queues? Or just something I need to keep an eye out for?

If I have express passes I don’t need to be concerned with virtual queues other than Hagrid’s right? And on that note, if I do the early entry at US at 8 can I snag a virtual queue for Hagrid at 9:00 without being in IOA?

If I have express passes I don’t need to be concerned with virtual queues other than Hagrid’s right?
Correct

if I do the early entry at US at 8 can I snag a virtual queue for Hagrid at 9:00 without being in IOA?
Yes, you can book VQ from anywhere on Universal property including the hotels. I believe Hagrid availability comes available shortly before 9, so keep an eye on it earlier than that. It goes quick from what I have seen.

Correct

Yes, you can book VQ from anywhere on Universal property including the hotels. I believe Hagrid availability comes available shortly before 9, so keep an eye on it earlier than that. It goes quick from what I have seen.
Thank you!!

Hi All very new to Universal Orlando, decided to head out for Xmas Yikes!! It will be strange to not be at Disney but from what I have seen, read and heard, I think Universal is perfect for us right now. Anyway looking forward to it, staying on property and will have EP. Is there a Universal app I would need to do Virtual que?

Hi All very new to Universal Orlando, decided to head out for Xmas Yikes!! It will be strange to not be at Disney but from what I have seen, read and heard, I think Universal is perfect for us right now. Anyway looking forward to it, staying on property and will have EP. Is there a Universal app I would need to do Virtual que?
If you will have EP, the only ride you will need to join the virtual queue for would be Hagrid's. I'm not certain whether Hagrid's is 100% VQ or if they still offer standby, but I would guess they will do 100% VQ during a busy time like Christmas. Yes, there is an app that you will use to join the VQ and you can join from anywhere on Universal property, including the hotels.

Bumping... anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason as to when they use virtual queues? Or just something I need to keep an eye out for?

The basic rhyme/reason to opening the VQ is when the line hits a point that you can no longer extend it and keep social distancing - so like if HPFJ stretches to the butterbeer cart, they stop allowing stand by and open the VQ so you can reserve a spot and come back without crowding in front and on the walkways. Hagrid opens as stand by most mornings, and shifts to VQ on Weekends around 9:30 - 10:00 if it is busy enough to warrant that. Some rides only operate on VQ (Jimmy Fallon, Mummy). If you keep an eye on it, you can ride Hagrid stand by first and jump on a VQ and get right back in line with it. We rode 3 times on Saturday of Labor Day before 10:00 this way. You can make VQ reservations from anywhere on Uni property including Hotels, city walk, and the parking garages.

"You can make VQ reservations from anywhere on Uni property including Hotels, city walk, and the parking garages. "

Do you need to scan your ticket into a park first like at Disney or just be on property?

‘Re’ downloaded the app. Don’t see where VQ section is tho.

Does it only show up when you are onsite?

‘Re’ downloaded the app. Don’t see where VQ section is tho.

Does it only show up when you are onsite?
When I open the app, if I click on the 3 lines in the upper left corner, it brings up a list. Virtual Line Experience is 7th down from the top. Click on that & the next screen has 2 tabs, one telling about using VQ & another on the right the says Virtual Line Venues.

Tap the Venues tab & it shows the rides that can utilize VQ when available. Tap on the ride you want & scroll down to where it says Virtual Line Pass Reserve. Tap that & from there I can tell it'll ask your party size, then at this point I'm of no further assistance because I haven't used VQ yet, LOL.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Virtual queues are used when the physical queue is full. You might have a long wait when your virtual queue time comes. The point is not to make the wait short, but to stop the queue from getting too long. The exceptions are Jimmy and F&F, which utilized vq before covid. Those are often short waits.

is the app just for VQ? Or can you make dining reservations on it as well?
I've never had to make a dining ressie at UO, but I don't think it can be done on the app - think you have to call.

Hopefully someone who has made a dining reservation before can chime in :).

is the app just for VQ? Or can you make dining reservations on it as well?

App has loads of info, including wait times. Restaurant reservations can be made for some places through the website- links you to a third party reservation system. You can also make reservations the day of just inside the park, a big sign saying dining marks the spot.

@provencio You can also use the app for mobile ordering of food and drinks and you will want to utilize that as food and drink lines can be very long right

Last edited:
When you open the app and click on the drop down list in the left upper hand corner, you can hit home, then rides, then right upper corner to put it in list form, then you will see the list of rides and wait times. When a ride says virtual que like hagrids does here you can click on that ride and then click on virtual que.
Screenshot_20200823-094154_Universal FL_copy_540x1200.jpg

then you will see a screen like this one which shows you available times. Click on what time you want, then slide the bar at the top to choose from between 1 to 8 people.

Screenshot_20200823-104158_Universal FL_copy_540x1200.jpg

Then you will get a qr code which they will scan to let you enter the ride. Screenshot this page cause sometimes the qr codes disappear from the app but as long as you have a screen shot they can still scan it. From this page in the app you can also click on change return time and if other times are available you can choose them

Screenshot_20200823-104329_Universal FL_copy_540x1200.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter