Virtual Queue

There was a virtual queue at BB a few weeks ago. In the afternoon, there was nothing left for the family raft ride, so I never tried it.

I second this. They were running this test at BB when we were there in April. All of the slots were gone by late morning, but obviously it was just a test. I've seen at least a couple of folks on Twitter take pics of the test running lately as well. Don't think they do it every day but the BB on seems to have been on/off for at least a few months now.

They could keep 20 minutes worth of people around, anything over goes virtual. So if there is a 15 min wait posted, stand in line. If there is a 60 min wait in line, you will be notified in 40 minutes to come get in line. When that is over, go get in another virtual line.

Right...it would then be the entire day's attendance standing around trying to figure out what to do...it wouldn't work.

And...there's no upsell potential

As opposed to standing in line with nothing to do? I think the upsell is people are free to go grab a Mickey Bar or drink or shop.

I never would have guessed Magic Band we possible and here we are. Ya never know.

They could keep 20 minutes worth of people around, anything over goes virtual. So if there is a 15 min wait posted, stand in line. If there is a 60 min wait in line, you will be notified in 40 minutes to come get in line. When that is over, go get in another virtual line.

As opposed to standing in line with nothing to do? I think the upsell is people are free to go grab a Mickey Bar or drink or shop.

I never would have guessed Magic Band we possible and here we are. Ya never know.

The crowd has to be distributed or the facilities would be overrun...yes...that means people have to be in lines.

There's a lot of gift shops...but but enough to handle 100,000 people...that would be a gridlocked nightmare

The crowd has to be distributed or the facilities would be overrun...yes...that means people have to be in lines.

There's a lot of gift shops...but but enough to handle 100,000 people...that would be a gridlocked nightmare

I agree with that as I mentioned in my 1st post. Disney is ever expanding though.

I agree with that as I mentioned in my 1st post. Disney is ever expanding though.

They're expanding because they didn't do a thing for 15 years and now they're overrun and need the revenue from parks...
...this isn't "proactive" in any sense of the word

While doing FOP (with a below average 55 minute wait),
DW, half jokingly / half seriously said that WDW should have a Wall-e Buy-n-Large queue. Just sit on a moving chair for an hour.

I feel that Dumbo is a partial "virtual" queue. The playground area there you get to "wait" in was awesome. My son loved that and didn't mind the wait at all (and probably could have waited even longer). More rides should be like that or Jimmy Fallon where you have something to do while you "wait" instead of just going back and through gates like cattle.

I think true virtual queues would just be a logistics nightmare. You need people corralled and waiting in a line to avoid pressure on other parts of the parks. Lines help distribute crowds around.

I feel that Dumbo is a partial "virtual" queue. The playground area there you get to "wait" in was awesome. My son loved that and didn't mind the wait at all (and probably could have waited even longer). More rides should be like that or Jimmy Fallon where you have something to do while you "wait" instead of just going back and through gates like cattle.

I think true virtual queues would just be a logistics nightmare. You need people corralled and waiting in a line to avoid pressure on other parts of the parks. Lines help distribute crowds around.

And lines are where people lose patience and tensions rise.

I wonder if they could expand that a bit. So maybe not give you free reign of an entire park while you wait, but some sort of holding pen where there is food and drink options and smaller, hands on activities, etc - maybe shopping or even smaller attractions, character meets.

Take maybe the Land pavilion - you get a pager and can be anywhere in the pavilion (eat at Sunshine Seasons, ride Living with the Land, etc.) and then get buzzed to come to wait in line for Soarin' when it is your time and the actual wait on line would be 15 mins or something

I wonder if they could expand that a bit. So maybe not give you free reign of an entire park while you wait, but some sort of holding pen where there is food and drink options and smaller, hands on activities, etc - maybe shopping or even smaller attractions, character meets.

Take maybe the Land pavilion - you get a pager and can be anywhere in the pavilion (eat at Sunshine Seasons, ride Living with the Land, etc.) and then get buzzed to come to wait in line for Soarin' when it is your time and the actual wait on line would be 15 mins or something

But then there would be a line developed outside the line...... where all the buzzed people would be trying to get in to the regular cue first. like a big cattle chute......

They need to bring back the parades, to take the strain out of the standby lines, while entertaining mass amounts of guests.

That requires minimum wage employee charges...which will go up a lot within 6 or so years...

...they ain't into that...

As currently constituted, it's true that the parks wouldn't be able to handle all the guests without lines. However, the parks could just add more gift shops, snack stands, carnival games, and other money-generating options, in order to be able to handle the added capacity. The reason more options currently don't exist is that there isn't enough demand to justify the costs of building and operating them. However, with all the added people wandering the parks and not headed for attractions, the demand would be much higher. This change would represent a big win-win: Disney makes more money on in-park purchases and we don't have to wait in lines and have more options for shopping and food

As currently constituted, it's true that the parks wouldn't be able to handle all the guests without lines. However, the parks could just add more gift shops, snack stands, carnival games, and other money-generating options, in order to be able to handle the added capacity. The reason more options currently don't exist is that there isn't enough demand to justify the costs of building and operating them. However, with all the added people wandering the parks and not headed for attractions, the demand would be much higher. This change would represent a big win-win: Disney makes more money on in-park purchases and we don't have to wait in lines and have more options for shopping and food

Good analysis...but I think you're missing a lot on the tea leaves here...

Mainly that disney is trying to reposition Orlando to have much larger crowds paying much larger prices.

Which means patience isn't gonna be in enough supply for this type of scenario

Good analysis...but I think you're missing a lot on the tea leaves here...

Mainly that disney is trying to reposition Orlando to have much larger crowds paying much larger prices.

Which means patience isn't gonna be in enough supply for this type of scenario

Yea I definitely don't think this will happen anytime soon, especially since Disney has been investing a ton into their queues recently

Virtual Queue's are great in theory, but practice the fall apart. Yes, the first 1 hour wait, you will got hit a gift shop. Maybe the second one you, get a snack. But after 3 of these, you are bored and have nothing to do. Then people will also adjust and make sure they are always in a "line", so as already said demand goes up and lines get longer and longer.

The truth is that lines are good for Disney and any park. Take Pandora, if there is a 3 hour wait, guest don't care if they are in a virtual line. They can go get their car, drive offsite, get something to eat and come back and the line is only 10 minutes to ride. No headlines about how people are waiting 400 minutes to ride either. With real lines, people skip rides with long lines or after waiting for an hour in the sun, they are thirsty and need a drink before standing in the sun again. Someone says, we can’t do Flights of Passage, because it is 400 minutes and we could do all the other rides in the park.

Even the idea of having to stay in an area, what are people going to do in The Land pavilion for an hour. Lots of families don’t have the money or don’t want to waste their money on an arcade or games or whatever. So everyone sits around staring at their pager, like at the Texas Roadhouse.

Lines suck, but you can see progress with a line versus a virtual queue. You can see it move slow or fast. You get to be excited as you get closer, it makes the ride more fun, because you have been anticipating this for however long you have been there.

And lines are where people lose patience and tensions rise.
In my case, the lines are where I get to relax.

Getting from one place to another, maneuvering around parked strollers in the shops, finding a place to sit to eat. Those are the stressful times.

Once I'm one of the corralled cattle, I can relax and be led to the slaughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!