Visiting end of August

We are August travelers - the crowds have been slowly increasing each year that last week or so. In fact, we have started to go during the middle of August to keep the extra park hours, as we've noticed the park hours get shorter somewhere in the middle of the month. Shorter hours and increasing crowds don't make missing the first day of work (I work in a school and we have a teacher/staff day the week before the kids show up) worth it anymore.

One thing about heat and late August, most of us have built up some sort of tolerance to it by then. So often it's not quite as hard to take as it can be earlier in the summer. I know when we first come out of winter it's harder to get adjusted to the heat than it is when we've been hot for 3 months.

Many of them have not. A large portion of the country does not return until after Labor Day (the First Monday in Sept)
Most Southern Schools have returned by late August but most Northern schools have not
Ok, maybe I should have been a bit clearer. Schools in Florida and most surrounding states seem to have gone back by then. You can definitely notice a difference in the parks in late-August compared to early-mid August.

We are August travelers - the crowds have been slowly increasing each year that last week or so. In fact, we have started to go during the middle of August to keep the extra park hours, as we've noticed the park hours get shorter somewhere in the middle of the month. Shorter hours and increasing crowds don't make missing the first day of work (I work in a school and we have a teacher/staff day the week before the kids show up) worth it anymore.

They've certainly gotten good at recognizing when the less popular times of the year to go, and filling the parks with events such as Marathons (I.e. 1st week of Jan, near Valentines Day), Food & Wine during the fall, etc. I noticed like in 2013, they've expanded MNSHP into late Aug., and F&W keeps expanding too. 8/24 arrival and we have like 3 party nights and 2 F&W days. Sort of weird. Oct. is getting more an more popular for families. Some day, early May may be our new favorite time to go, until it gets busier then too. They'll figure how to make Flower/Garden even better.

They've certainly gotten good at recognizing when the less popular times of the year to go, and filling the parks with events such as Marathons (I.e. 1st week of Jan, near Valentines Day), Food & Wine during the fall, etc. I noticed like in 2013, they've expanded MNSHP into late Aug., and F&W keeps expanding too. 8/24 arrival and we have like 3 party nights and 2 F&W days. Sort of weird. Oct. is getting more an more popular for families. Some day, early May may be our new favorite time to go, until it gets busier then too. They'll figure how to make Flower/Garden even better.

Early May is good? Do tell. Sept/Oct used to be our time to go but with MNSSHP slowly gobbling up each of those months entirely now, we are looking for different slow periods. Went end of Jan/ beginning of Feb this year and it was good crowd-wise. Great weather!

Remember to pack rain gear. A light rain jacket and extra pair of shoes. Their is always rain showers in summer but for some reason the showers in Aug. and Sept. are a lot more frequent. The good thing about these showers it cools off the state.
And like others have said hydrate and afternoon breaks ate a must.

Early May is good? Do tell. Sept/Oct used to be our time to go but with MNSSHP slowly gobbling up each of those months entirely now, we are looking for different slow periods. Went end of Jan/ beginning of Feb this year and it was good crowd-wise. Great weather!

the last couple years the winter has been warmer than the norm, still reaching 80s sometimes. We did still wear shorts during Dec-Feb at WDW but sometimes had to bring a jacket for that early am ferry ride to MK or late night. Personally prefer to be there when it's a tad warmer, and not as many refurbishments. But that's just me.

Early May is getting warmer but not horrid. You would be post various spring breaks, Easter. It's probably the least busy portion of the Flower & Garden Fest that runs Mar-May. The topiaries, the food booths that are expanding to rival F&W, concerts, butterfly exhibit.

Here's a link with details:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/epcot/flower-garden-festival.htm

If you start at April 29 - you can hit Dapper Days at MK (4/30 EP Dapper Days) which are neat to see people all dressed up.

We always go the last week in August, our kids don't start school until after labor day, but the kids down south are already back so the crowds are pretty light. It is hot but it doesn't stop us, we go first thing in the morning, back to the hotel in the afternoon for a swim/dinner, back to the park around 5.

We were there for seventeen nights last August/September and the pools didn't really help. It was like walking into a hot bath.

Slow down, try to do inside stuff mid-afternoon, like carousel of progress or Ellen's Energy Adventure.

One thing about heat and late August, most of us have built up some sort of tolerance to it by then. So often it's not quite as hard to take as it can be earlier in the summer. I know when we first come out of winter it's harder to get adjusted to the heat than it is when we've been hot for 3 months.

Many of them have not. A large portion of the country does not return until after Labor Day (the First Monday in Sept)
Most Southern Schools have returned by late August but most Northern schools have not

I totally agree with this!! We usually go in August but just got back from our first June trip. I know the temps were not hotter but they felt like they were because we have not built up enough heat tolerance yet.

In VA we don't go back until after Labor Day, with some exceptions. This is why we always went in late August. But now that DD is in college, she goes back earlier. With DS still in school that goes til mid June and DD starting mid- August, it make sure our summer short!

We were there for seventeen nights last August/September and the pools didn't really help. It was like walking into a hot bath.

Slow down, try to do inside stuff mid-afternoon, like carousel of progress or Ellen's Energy Adventure.

We always say it's like swimming in ... Well, we don't say it on the DIS ;) But yeah, the pools are nasty in the summer, cloyingly warm, to put it mildly.

I find that your feelings about the heat will depend on your local weather. I'm from NJ, so I don't seem to find the heat and humidity as shocking as some people do. Unfortunately for me, I sweat. I like August because everyone is sweating and I don't feel self conscious about it like I would in March or November. I bring a cooling towel and it works wonderfully to cool me off.

Since the parks are usually not open late during the last week of August, I don't see the point in taking a mid-day break. A table service lunch and a long indoor attraction, like Universe of Energy, the Lion King show, The Great Movie Ride, Carousel of Progress is enough to rest, cool off and recharge if you need it.

Last year, it rained! Seemed like all day everyday, but not really. We spent a few hours in AK in a downpour and it was so much fun. Everest at night in the rain was wild! It was raining so bad we ditched the ponchos and just accepted the wetness.

Some suggestions:
1. Take your rain gear seriously. We have giant box of disposal ponchos for days when it is just a chance of rain. These fit in your pocket. For a day that is scheduled to be rainy, my big kids prefer a real rain jacket, little one still wants the cheapo poncho.
2. Anyone who wears glasses needs a hat or visor for rainy days. It's awful when I forget one. I can't see and then I have buy a hat. You also need something to dry off your glasses.
3. Pack extra shoes. Figure out what your people like to wear in the rain. My kids want to wear socks and sneakers to the park, but they never want wet socks in sneakers. So on rainy days they wear crocs or a good pair of sandals. However, there are still pop up showers, your sneakers get wet and you will need a back up pair of something. For our 14 day trip we bring one pair of sandals, and 2 pairs of sneakers.
4. Pack something to help you hang up your wet things in your room. I pack cheap wire hangers and clothes pins. To dry the sneakers, I first pull out the insert and pat it dry. I try to pat down the insides. Then STUFF with paper towels. Leave them upside down overnight. IF they are really wet, change out the paper towels before you go to bed, or in the morning before you go to the parks.
5. Think about your electronics in the rain. We all have water proof phones cases so I don't worry about that. I keep a large ziploc bag, the clothing storage kind, in my camera bag in case of rain.
6. We drive to the parks usually. Thank goodness I had large trash bags in the car to cover the car seats. They were for dirty laundry originally, but after a few rainy nights, they became seat covers.

Don't leave the parks when it rains. So many people left, it made the parks empty. Last year on Sunday of Labor day weekend, it rained leading up to the 9pm parade at MK. The parade was cancelled, mass exodus ensued and the rides were a walk on the rest of the night. The 11pm parade felt like a private showing.

Last edited:
The worst heat I ever experienced in WDW was in early May. Been in August maybe a half dozen times after that, and the weather changed so often that any heat wave seemed to move on. The end of August ended up being my favorite time (and I HATE the heat). But the crowds are lower, and that's really nice. We were late at getting out, so we'd hit the parks anywhere from 10 to noon, and it was fine. We made sure to do a sit-down late lunch or dinner to cool off and refresh. So go and have fun!

(Speaking of feeling empty, I have a picture from Splash Mountain after a rainstorm. We had the entire car to ourselves - twice around! Right after a storm, especially at night, is really nice.)

I just hope they don't fill up late August with too many MNSSHP nights. We would love to go during Jersey week but I looked at the calendar and the days we would go there would be 4 party nights out of 8. We like to go to MK at night so that week was a no for us. So we are sticking with late August.

Go the last week of August if you want above-average crowd levels still, but also if you really love excessive humidity and hurricanes!

I just hope they don't fill up late August with too many MNSSHP nights. We would love to go during Jersey week but I looked at the calendar and the days we would go there would be 4 party nights out of 8. We like to go to MK at night so that week was a no for us. So we are sticking with late August.

MNSSHP party dates for August are Aug 25, Aug 29

• August 25 and 29, 2017.
  • September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 29, 2017.
  • October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29 and 31, 2017.
  • November 1, 2017.

MNSSHP party dates for August are Aug 25, Aug 29

• August 25 and 29, 2017.
  • September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 29, 2017.
  • October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29 and 31, 2017.
  • November 1, 2017.

Yea and this is the first year it's in August, I believe. I just hope they don't add more in the following years. I can deal with two but if they add more I may move our trip dates.

I agree with the late summer heat tolerance. I always go late August. Last year, I went in April and got a heat rash for the first time ever!!
I find the crowds the last week in August much lighter than the rest of the summer. I always just pray for no tropical storm/hurricane.

We did mid to late August trips 3 years in a row 2008, 2009 and 2010.

I found the hot weather more bearable those trips than I did during 2 trips in June.

The sun goes down 7:00ish (I think), and if there were evening thunderstorms, the air afterward was very pleasant. Easier to take than still-bright sunlight after 8:00 PM.

This will be our third end of August trip and the crowds are way lower than all the other times we travel. We enjoy the hot weather because our weather is never very hot where we live. We also travel in February and April and way more busy and I was chilly this past February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter