VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We didn't have the glasses to see the eclipse, so we enjoyed it the Texan way. DH had a couple of welding helmets with the perfect filter for our viewing pleasure. We got to see it with several bites out of it. At one point I described it to the family as the Cheshire Cat's grin. It was enjoyable even though we did not get the total effect. I also saw the one back in 1979. Now when 2024 comes we will be in the full effect area. If any of you want to travel to Texas to see it, let me know!!!

LOL Granny.

View attachment 263640

We only had a crescent eclipse here in the Houston area. We did pin holes in a box and used a colander to reflect on paper. But the shadows from the tree leaves gave us the best view of the eclipse. It still seems weird that the leave shapes turned into crescents.
I love it! Seems the light that comes down through the tree is a reflection of the sun's image itself... but looking further into this, someone posted a pic from a saltine cracker doing the same.

Last edited:
We didn't have the glasses to see the eclipse, so we enjoyed it the Texan way. DH had a couple of welding helmets with the perfect filter for our viewing pleasure. We got to see it with several bites out of it. At one point I described it to the family as the Cheshire Cat's grin. It was enjoyable even though we did not get the total effect. I also saw the one back in 1979. Now when 2024 comes we will be in the full effect area. If any of you want to travel to Texas to see it, let me know!!!
I am pretty sure we will want to go to TX!:)

twokats, what's your town? I sat next to a fellow coming home from Houston, and he also was a native Texan, and I wished I knew what town you were from. We had a very enjoyable conversation from Houston to Dallas, Love field.

Hi All!

17 days!!! No I'm not in desperate need of a WDW break!!!:rolleyes1

Did anyone get the Membership Magic email for the December event @ Epcot? I have my calendar marked as I hope to secure a reservation for December 11th!

Before anybody else jumps on this . . . . Dibs on your Family Room fold out! :teeth:

For you, I bet Kati would let you use her room with the Sleep Number bed and she would take the sofa!!!

twokats, what's your town? I sat next to a fellow coming home from Houston, and he also was a native Texan, and I wished I knew what town you were from. We had a very enjoyable conversation from Houston to Dallas, Love field.

We are in Campbell. One of those little dots on the road that you pass before you even know you were in it! I was raised in Greenville whitch is 10 miles from here. The true middle of the 2024 blackout (or whatever it is called) is Sulphur Springs which is 20 miles from us.

Last edited:

Hi All!

17 days!!! No I'm not in desperate need of a WDW break!!!:rolleyes1

Did anyone get the Membership Magic email for the December event @ Epcot? I have my calendar marked as I hope to secure a reservation for December 11th!

Got it & I hope to go on the 11th as well. A bunch of friends from a different board are going & as of Mon. I decided to try & make it happen too. Availability looks ugly. Not surprising given the late date. I may need to move a few times. We'll see how it works out.

So tomorrow is the day. We'll be headed to VT to be ready for Fri. morning move in for DS19. Poor kid has come down with a bad cold. Started with DS17 after we got home from NZ. DH got it bad end of last week & now DS19. Not the best way to start your college experience. Trying hard to fight it off myself. Wish me luck. I'm packing tissues & not just for DS. :sad:

Julie - I'm excited you'll be at WDW in December! Sending your child off to college is hard, especially when it's their first year, and even harder if they don't feel well! The weather is gorgeous and that ride to VT! While long, it is quite beautiful! We drove it countless times while DS was away in Burlington. Good luck!:hug:

Good Morning Groupies!
Welcome Maple! Always fun when new folks find their way to our thread.

I tried to view the eclipse but like others, cloud cover set in. A disappointment, but there are some absolutely amazing photos on the web that I've enjoyed.

I have my reminder set too for Membership Magic at Epcot on the 11th. Sounds like there could be quite a few of us there. I read this event was taking the place of the Merry Member Mixer. I wonder if we'll still get our annual Christmas ornament?

Hugs Julie as you begin this next chapter of your life. It's always hard when our off-spring leave the nest. Tissues are good.

Got it & I hope to go on the 11th as well. A bunch of friends from a different board are going & as of Mon. I decided to try & make it happen too. Availability looks ugly. Not surprising given the late date. I may need to move a few times. We'll see how it works out.

So tomorrow is the day. We'll be headed to VT to be ready for Fri. morning move in for DS19. Poor kid has come down with a bad cold. Started with DS17 after we got home from NZ. DH got it bad end of last week & now DS19. Not the best way to start your college experience. Trying hard to fight it off myself. Wish me luck. I'm packing tissues & not just for DS. :sad:
Mine heads out next year, so I'm already preparing myself. For a moment, I also forgot to where you were headed since around these parts, VT means something totally different than your VT. I began thinking, "I don't remember her saying he was headed this direction," until I realized we were talking state not the actual college. :rotfl:

For you, I bet Kati would let you use her room with the Sleep Number bed and she would take the sofa!!!

We are in Campbell. One of those little dots on the road that you pass before you even know you were in it! I was raised in Greenville whitch is 10 miles from here. The true middle of the 2024 blackout (or whatever it is called) is Sulphur Springs which is 20 miles from us.
Thank you!
Campbell soup began in NJ and when you told me, I made the connection, but during the conversation I could not remember it.

Our Moonlight Magic date would be the 4th. Anyone else?

Mine heads out next year, so I'm already preparing myself. For a moment, I also forgot to where you were headed since around these parts, VT means something totally different than your VT. I began thinking, "I don't remember her saying he was headed this direction," until I realized we were talking state not the actual college. :rotfl:

VT to you would be what? Virginia Tech? He'll be attending Champlain College in Burlington, VT. Heading out around 2:00.

Sleepy...I'm right there with you! I was wondering why Julie's son would be going to Virginia Tech?

He'll be attending Champlain College in Burlington, VT.

Ah....got it! I hope everyone is feeling better. And if you think high school flew by, those college years (assuming there's only four of them) really fly by too!

We will be trying for the 11th. Assuming that I remember to book on opening day...I am already prepping myself for disappointment since I generally forget about things like this until they are sold out! :)

Last edited:
Julie, Burlington is nice and close enough. Perfect distance to be able to get him home for the holidays, and far enough away that you won't end up washing his clothes every weekend. :D
I sent my oldest off to Clemson a long time back - that was hard knowing I really could not just go see him for the weekend, or vice versa. My younger two have not left home (yet) and choose to commute locally to/from school. While I love having them around I wish they would get the away-at-school experience.

Speaking of Burlington and eclipses: the 2024 eclipse is mapped to go right over Burlington, VT. A long time off, but I might make the trek up and stay up that way for a weekend. We'll have 93% coverage down here but the videos online have shown that only full coverage gives the proper "Oooo Ahhh Ohhh" impact that should accompany a solar eclipse. It's either there or Maine.. or Newfoundland... in April... brrr.

Last edited:
VT to you would be what? Virginia Tech? He'll be attending Champlain College in Burlington, VT. Heading out around 2:00.
Yep! I'm still an outsider of sorts here in the mountains of southwest Virginia since I've "only" been living here 15 years. Ergo, I have no real connection to VT outside of a running back on the football team being from this town. However, this is big time VT country. . .with a healthy dose of UVa supporters, too.

We are hoping for that date too. Its our arrival day. I have yet to receive a email or mail stating this is happening, but am curious to know when we can begin booking the thing? I checked the site on my PC and can't get to their site, but able to check via my smartphone and it says nothing about booking date. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Campbell soup began in NJ and when you told me, I made the connection, but during the conversation I could not remember it.

4th for us as well - hope to see you there!

Julie, Burlington is nice and close enough. Perfect distance to be able to get him home for the holidays, and far enough away that you won't end up washing his clothes every weekend.
I sent my oldest off to Clemson a long time back - that was hard knowing I really could not just go see him for the weekend, or vice versa. My younger two have not left home (yet) and choose to commute locally to/from school. While I love having them around I wish they would get the away-at-school experience.

Speaking of Burlington and eclipses: the 2024 eclipse is mapped to go right over Burlington, VT. A long time off, but I might make the trek up and stay up that way for a weekend. We'll have 93% coverage down here but the videos online have shown that only full coverage gives the proper "Oooo Ahhh Ohhh" impact that should accompany a solar eclipse. It's either there or Maine.. or Newfoundland... in April... brrr.

I'm already thinking about planning a trip to VT (that's Burlington VERMONT, not Virginia Tech:P).....for the 2024 eclipse!!! Twinkle, are you in MA too????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter