VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

And for all of those that wore the green on Saturday, you avoided the pinch! But please don't forget there are a few Orange Irishmen in the crowd!

I know there's a few other Groupies headed down later in April so wanted to share the FYI I got from Tourinplans that hours have been extended at MK - at least during the week of the 16th. From several 9pm closings to 10pm. I haven't verified but it should have changed EMH from 11 to midnight close.

Of course MK hasn't had a lot of 9pm closings in April in years and years so I took that worth a grain of salt to begin with. That particular thing of starting with short hours that they've started doing in the past couple of years is just beyond frustrating for me.
Thanks for the Update!

Yet, like you, I can no longer say something glowing about Disney without also supplying the realistic, money-making side of them. They're no worse than most other mega-corporations to be sure. Still, even those have changed over the past three plus decades. Used to be that modestly growing your company was considered successful. No longer. If you don't please your major stockholders and board, then you're not doing your job. That's where Disney has erred. By assuming the same mindset, they've had to take steps that have hurt their image, the "magic," and the experience. And, certainly, they've added fees and costs like crazy to make more money. So, while I can understand their desire to make money, to me that just makes them another cog in the corporate world and no longer special.

Though I think “Disney quality” is not what it once was, and fees, add-ons and upcharges are getting way out of hand, I’m afraid it may just be a product of my old age. When I first attended WDW in 1987 with my in-laws, my father-in-law was quite irritated with what was being charged for parking. ( I think it was $6 at the time) My wife’s family had been attending WDW since it first opened in 1971. He remarked ( several times) “Walt must be turning over in his grave” when commenting on the prices they charged for parking, tickets, food, etc. I suspect young folks visiting for the first time think it’s all normal.

Look at how much people are paying per point to buy direct now!

Though I think “Disney quality” is not what it once was, and fees, add-ons and upcharges are getting way out of hand, I’m afraid it may just be a product of my old age. When I first attended WDW in 1987 with my in-laws, my father-in-law was quite irritated with what was being charged for parking. ( I think it was $6 at the time) My wife’s family had been attending WDW since it first opened in 1971. He remarked ( several times) “Walt must be turning over in his grave” when commenting on the prices they charged for parking, tickets, food, etc. I suspect young folks visiting for the first time think it’s all normal.

True point. I keep asking myself who are these people buying $500,000 houses ( I paid $68,000 for mine 24 years ago)....but then I remember my neighbor when I moved in told me he only paid $15,000 when he bought. My neighbor (still collects my mail after 25 years) is always shocked at how hard we work, shocked at 5 vehicles ( with 2 drivers ) in my driveway, & our vacations and weekends at the lake. Prices are always going up, I guess it’s a matter of perspective. There is a new apartment building 10 miles away with $14,000/month penthouses — now that’s ridiculous even compared to Disney.

We spent $300 on dinner a couple weeks back at The Melting Pot - 4 adults, one child (only 1 adult beverage per adult) - so, is Disney dining expensive to me? Well, Yes, but not unexpected. But, compared to lesser choices, sure.

Last edited:

Actually people were saying that on these very boards when direct prices hit $100 per point. And they'll probably be saying it when prices hit $300 per point. Like you said, "I suspect young folks visiting for the first time think it's all normal".

Jimmy....the Brown Derby and 50's Prime Time...you certainly are Mr. Nostalgia! :)

It looks like you are having another great trip. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Actually people were saying that on these very boards when direct prices hit $100 per point. And they'll probably be saying it when prices hit $300 per point. Like you said, "I suspect young folks visiting for the first time think it's all normal".
Very true. To be fair though, college graduates are easily making double to triple what we were being offered right out of school.

Granny, Corinne and Sleepy
To be honest with you, I was very hungry so I didn't see that Mickey in the meatloaf, but Im glad y'all did. Now I see it:D I just know it was very tasty!

Granny
I am a nostalgia kind of guy for sure. I love HS because of it being that way.

We were walking down the street headed towards ToT yesterday and one of the streetmosphere guys was out by himself. He had a big camera and a bullhorn impromtuing as people approached near him. These 3 college age guys who must have had a few too many because no one who came near them was not being talked about by them, especially one moron in particular. We were just unfortunate enough to hear all they were saying to others the whole way up the street. That is until the impromptu director caught wind of what they were doing(this is the part where I was glad to be in earshot)and He says, "here is the story of a young man who can't keep his mouth shut" Let me tell you, I got a good chuckle out of that and the college fellows knew it too along with some other nearby folks. One of those Magic moments for me:-)

Today has been a take it easy kind of day and we couldn't have picked a better one. We ate at the Wave for lunch and once done, just as we are at top of escalator on level where Monorail, CMs and stores are, everybody's cell phones go off on the floor, Tornado Warnings. So we are back in our room, being on 14th floor with a birdseye view, watching funnel clouds form but quickly dissipate. They are over near and beyond Epcot. No touchdowns fortunately near us that we have heard about, but still weird to watch from that level.

Going to a DVC tasting at 4:30 at TOTWL then head over to MK to hit a few FPs if weather cooperates

everybody's cell phones go off on the floor, Tornado Warnings. So we are back in our room, being on 14th floor with a birdseye view, watching funnel clouds form but quickly dissipate. They are over near and beyond Epcot. No touchdowns fortunately near us that we have heard about, but still weird to watch from that level.

Going to a DVC tasting at 4:30 at TOTWL then head over to MK to hit a few FPs if weather cooperates

:eek:

I spent an hour or two in a BLT room a few years ago watching for Tornados too! It's really quite a vantage point to see weather rolling thru. But eekkk!!!

Tornado Warnings. So we are back in our room, being on 14th floor with a birdseye view, watching funnel clouds form but quickly dissipate. They are over near and beyond Epcot. No touchdowns fortunately near us that we have heard about, but still weird to watch from that level.
All I got was a rock. . .AKA more snow. Another storm going through and predictions are for another 3-4". I know this isn't Boston (bless their hearts!), but we ain't supposed to be having 5-6" snows like last week followed by another similar storm the next. . .and another possibility on Sunday. Hate. This. Crap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!