VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I wonder if people coming over to WL for the new character meal at Artist point may just fall in love with WL and buy up those remaining CC points. There are many guests who will be booking that meal who never saw our beautiful lodge in person. I really like CC, we stayed there last year, but I am happy with our points at BR, we love the quiet lobby area there.

Corinne...first of all, congratulations on starting your new job. I hope it provides the fulfillment that you are looking for in the job. :)

Groupies...we have just returned from the World, and it was a very nice trip. Temperatures were well below normal with highs in the 50's and 60's on many days. The parks were rather busy overall, and last Saturday (December 8) MK was almost as crowded as Christmas week! Even the People Mover had a 1/2 hour wait as the line went halfway to Space Mountain! It was supposed to be a 5/10 crowd day but after the fact TouringPlans recorded it as an 8 level crowd. All week long they underforecasted the crowd levels as we found the parks and Disney Springs to be pretty crowded every day.

Despite that, we enjoyed our trip. We were able to thoroughly enjoy much quality time with our good friends @Dizny Dad and @DiznyDi. While we went to the parks every day, we only experienced a handful of attractions. We had several FastPasses that lapsed as we just didn't want to deal with the crowds, cool weather and occasional rain all that much. I will say that I was impressed with Toy Story Land as far as design, attention to detail, and general atmosphere of the area. I think they did a really good job capturing the Toy Story spirit of fun and adventure, and the lines were long for all the attractions there. Star Wars land continues to take shape and DHS will soon be turning from 1/2 of a park to a real destination park for many, many WDW guests.

Wilderness Lodge did not disappoint as the decorations were out in full force and the Christmas music was playing throughout the resort. The resort seemed to be at full capacity with the main lobby being crowded much of the time. They opened the new Snow White character meal the day after we left, but we were able to see some of the "forest" decorations that had been added to the restaurant. I'm sure they did a good job converting Artist Point over to the new theme. They moved the DVC sales desk to the front door area to clear out that area, possibly for people waiting for reservations for the character meal? Once they start getting those meals booked, it will undoubtedly add to the noise level of the lobby floor of Wilderness Lodge. All in all, it was a bustling area...far from the quiet area it has been in the past.

But the VWL lobby retained its quietness and seclusion. And we spent some quality time in the Iron Spike room in front of the fire. So our home managed to keep its wonderful feel of warmth and seclusion, with the Christmas music wafting through the air.

Kirk the VWL CM was busy each day with people at his concierge desk in the VWL lobby. Didn't have a chance to say much more than hello to him, but every time we went past he was explaining the MDE phone app to someone...it sounds like he is very well versed on the app. We did use it to open our room door a couple of times just as a novelty, but mostly just used our Magic Bands.

So we had a quick (6 night) stay and enjoyed it very much. I am so glad that we have DVC, and therefore don't worry about the parks and attractions all that much since we know we can experience them on a future trip. This past trip was all about enjoying WL and good friends, and that is what made it a great trip! :)
Why do you think it was so busy?

Your comment about Kirk caught my attention and selfishly I'm a bit sad to hear that he's hanging out there and bringing "business" to our nice quiet little lobby. But it's a nice things for those who need the assistance.

His desk is in the nook between the front door and the elevators so we couldn’t even hear him or his guests when sitting in the VWL lobby near the fireplace. So our serene hideout still has its charm!

When it’s a bit cold out, the fireplaces at VWL are really nice. We spent a couple of hours in the Iron Spike room sitting in front of the fire with DDad and Di...what a beautiful couple and genuinely wonderful company!

Why do you think it was so busy?

I think there are a few reasons why early December has become so popular:

1. Christmas decorations are up and WDW is able to add Christmas magic to its own magic
2. It has the lowest point schedule of the year so it is a great bargain for DVC members...this doesn't account for all the crowds but certainly contributes.
3. The aging population means the number of retired people is growing every year. They can visit WDW without worrying about work or school.
4. Speaking of school, it is amazing how many people are obviously taking their school age children out of school for WDW trips. So many elementary and high school aged children in the parks. I'm not judging the parents, just reporting that it has become more and more routine. Sometimes I wonder if the summer attendance is starting to go down?
5. The economy and very low unemployment rate can't be hurting WDW attendance as people have more discretionary income than in years past.

All these things add up to crowded Disney parks. Hats off to Disney as they have done quite a job in attracting new guests while keeping the old ones. I can't even imagine what the opening of Star Wars land will do to WDW attendance...maybe it will spread out the Star Wars Weekend crowds over the whole year? :darth: :chewy:

Your comment about Kirk caught my attention and selfishly I'm a bit sad to hear that he's hanging out there and bringing "business" to our nice quiet little lobby. But it's a nice things for those who need the assistance.

Mr Kirk is unbelievable, after stopping by his desk, you are added to his daily texts during your stay. His short feel good messages really add to the Disney magic. I watched him make magic for several little ones, and create itineraries for our family of 3 and a group of 24. He knows when to send you where for your best use of time and maximum enjoyment. He greeted everyone that walked buy his desk and several little ones would run up to him and give him a hug. Warms my heart to see that Disney magic is still alive. :love:

:earsboy: Bill

I was just reading that they announced at the member meeting earlier today that VWL will get a refurb in 2021. I'd think that would be one of the refresh paint, soft goods etc. I wonder if they'll take care of some of the sloppiness of the last refurb.

Oh - wait. VWL is supposed to get a full refurb.

Oh great. Wonder if it will finally look like a Holiday Inn.

Bite your tongue! :( :hug: The last one was bad enough.

Only 76 days until VB for a few days before heading over to the World for a few days. By the time we hit CC (staying there for the first time), it will have been 665 days since last stepping foot at the Mouse's Florida location. And, what a difference a couple of days make. After two days off and on again rain, our 15" of snow is almost gone.

Kirk is a concierge CM who built his own station in the BRV lobby with surplus Disney furniture. His hours are 7:00 - 3:30 5 or 6 days per week. He loves to help with planning, reservations, and making magic and he is a big reason why we love to stay at WL. He greets his guests by name and watching him interact with the young guests is magical. If you appreciate his service please email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com so we can keep him around. :love:

:earsboy: Bill
I thought that desk was in the lobby area since the villas opened. They used to have a salesperson there back in the early days for a few hours a week.

As for the crowds, I know Gary Sinise was bringing 1750 Gold Star families (1000 kids plus the surviving parent) to WDW last week for a vacation. That could contribute to the crowds. He's the narrator for the Candlelight Processional beginning Sat, Dec 15 through Mon Dec 17.

Wow that is a long time! You will have to make you give us trip updates. You must be so excited!!
If it were my wife, she would have been in serious Disney detox months ago. I, on the other hand, have managed fairly well since we did take a trip to DL this past summer, as well as stopping by HHI for a Mickey waffle and a brief walk around the resort--we were staying offsite since rooms during the summer are virtually impossible at 7 months. I generally don't get excited until 2-3 days before a trip, and I usually pack the day before, unlike someone else who shall remain anonymous and who packs about three weeks out. :duck:

I thought that desk was in the lobby area since the villas opened. They used to have a salesperson there back in the early days for a few hours a week.

As for the crowds, I know Gary Sinise was bringing 1750 Gold Star families (1000 kids plus the surviving parent) to WDW last week for a vacation. That could contribute to the crowds. He's the narrator for the Candlelight Processional beginning Sat, Dec 15 through Mon Dec 17.

Yes, it’s been there forever. As you mentioned the sales people used to be stationed there - It’s where we first visited about DVC and VWL with a cast member. And once or twice over the years we’ve seen concierge set up there.

Returned home from a wonderful trip to "the world" two days back. Stayed at AKV - Jambo, switching between rooms a couple of times to keep it alive. (Just wanted to fit a couple club nights in there.) Never got the chance to get over to Wilderness lodge and it saddens me. I wanted to ask the bus driver to take the right into the WL driveway several times on our way to the MK... missing our other home.

The decorations were just as amazing as ever. We tried out a new group with "Crockett the DVC Traveling Crockpot" to make dinner one night. Bell services noted that there are a number of traveling items they see about and it really is working out well. I think this means they get more tips from grocery deliveries etc. (LOL) Dinner was good but I need better recipes, what we make at home just doesn't work out on vacation. We took a blistery afternoon off to crockpot-sit while enjoying the resort. Jambo never fails to amaze us.

The trip started off warm enough to swim, but quickly chilled down to Floridian polar bear weather. We turned lovely shades of blue during our Very Merry Christmas party, but on the upside it wasn't overly crowded and the ride lines were pretty much non-existent. I loved the experience, just wished we had some down parkas with us.

As always, it was nice to finally get home. I'm not really a fan of the TSA lines and process. My daughter and I did get a row to ourselves on the way home though. Like the new Southwest interiors.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure that the crowds we saw in the MK were due to the Pop Warner cheerleading competition families. We were at the GF Tea room on Saturday the 8th, planning on taking a day off from parks. The staff warned us that the MK was at capacity. That would have been the day right before 99% of the families were heading home. Saw a significant drop in crowds by Monday.

My sole complaint this trip revolved around the buses. It wasn't the drivers as much as the system they have in place... I still believe that strollers need a size limitation, and ecv folk need dedicated service that is made for less frustrations on the part of the drivers and those who need the wheels. I know members of my own extended family who own their own buggies would have been very hurt emotionally if they were treated in a similar fashion to how a few we saw were treated. Come on Disney, a dedicated service would make everyone happier.

Like the concept of "ecv folk need dedicated service" - but it's not gonna happen. Someone will yell "separate but equal", and it will die in court, unless absolutely EVERYONE is happy :(.
I think it would be less that notion than one of sheer expense. Disney will go the extra mile as long as it doesn't cost much. Having dedicated buses for ECVs would mean quite a few new buses, outfitted correctly, with extra drivers needing to be trained. The cost would be more than Disney is willing to bear. Now, I think it's a wonderful idea and one Disney could afford. . .I simply don't believe they would dedicate that much money.

Last edited:
Granny and twinklebug
Thanks for the trip reports! I really miss this time of year not being Lodge and WDW bound, so living vicariously through you is helping melt away the winter blues

FYI - the 2020 points charts are out and DVC has done some reallocating at VWL. Our 200 points contract that was the exact number of points required for a 1BR during Adventure (and I think Choice) seasons is now no where close. Studios and 1BR's went up most seasons and 2BR's decreased. So much for my hope that the 1BR's would be the offset if they ever did another reallocation and get us back down to where we started! Oh well, we're actually doing more 2BR's than in the past right now so I we should benefit for a bit.

FYI - the 2020 points charts are out and DVC has done some reallocating at VWL. Our 200 points contract that was the exact number of points required for a 1BR during Adventure (and I think Choice) seasons is now no where close. Studios and 1BR's went up most seasons and 2BR's decreased. So much for my hope that the 1BR's would be the offset if they ever did another reallocation and get us back down to where we started! Oh well, we're actually doing more 2BR's than in the past right now so I we should benefit for a bit.

That's a bummer...I thought 1BRs were already "overpriced" and now they're worse? They are the last villa type to book so how does increasing their point requirements help balance demand?

Kathy...thanks for looking into this and reporting back to us.

I just looked at the 2020 points chart and see this for Adventure Season:

Studio = 16 points
1BR = 31 points
2BR = 37 points

The same time period for 2019 points chart is:

Studio = 15 points
1BR = 28 points
2BR = 37 points

That's just crazy. I would have thought that they would close the gap between Studio & 1BR but they widened it!

That's a bummer...I thought 1BRs were already "overpriced" and now they're worse? They are the last villa type to book so how does increasing their point requirements help balance demand?

Kathy...thanks for looking into this and reporting back to us.

I just looked at the 2020 points chart and see this for Adventure Season:

Studio = 16 points
1BR = 31 points
2BR = 37 points

The same time period for 2019 points chart is:

Studio = 15 points
1BR = 28 points
2BR = 37 points

That's just crazy. I would have thought that they would close the gap between Studio & 1BR but they widened it!
I agree, why make 1 bedrooms more expensive??

In essence, they just changed the whole concept of "low points time" as we've known it for decades. Now, every season that includes typical holiday dates (November through January) has gone up. You want to go at Christmas or Thanksgiving or New Year's? Pony up the points. Yikes. Well, I won't be buying more points to offset those changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!