VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Did any of you see the announcement about the park passes that are discounted, but you can't enter the park until noon? I think they are only available this fall. If they did something like that in the new year, I would certainly consider those type tickets for our princess marathon weekend. We rarely get ourselves up and moving that early on vacation anyway. I could certainly deal with not entering until after noon. With fast passes being made online, I'd feel like we would still get to do what we wanted.

I did see that ticket offer. I would love it if they offered a Late Entry Annual Pass at a good discount. We’d be all over that!

Cindy...we will be there about the same time. Our FP window opened a couple of days ago and I just can’t to fired up to go get them locked down. DHS is a joke with almost all of their attractions now being a Tier 1 so basically you can only get one FP there per day in advance.

We always at least get a Toy Story Mania FP. Beyond that we pretty much wing it. So no great suggestions from me I’m afraid.
I was feeling that pain, tried for Slinky Dog Dash and managed to get some further out on the trip. Everything remaining to choose from are shows. I like Disney's shows, but they're not a must see every trip.

First time at Food and Wine though... all those fast passes might get tossed aside for a bit of meandering around World Showcase, or a night trick or treating in the MK. You going into the party?

I was feeling that pain, tried for Slinky Dog Dash and managed to get some further out on the trip. Everything remaining to choose from are shows. I like Disney's shows, but they're not a must see every trip.

First time at Food and Wine though... all those fast passes might get tossed aside for a bit of meandering around World Showcase, or a night trick or treating in the MK. You going into the party?

We won't be doing MNSSHP. But we do plan on some extensive strolling around World Showcase enjoying the food & beverages. I've been thinking of booking a tour for DW & myself...we've talked about doing more of those since it is just the two of us these days. We'll be at SSR for this trip, our first stay there in almost 9 years. So Disney Springs will also figure heavily into our plans.

Checking in after my first full week of school. It's been crazy. Sleepy your schedule is better than mine. We are on an alternating block schedule this year. I have a planning period on A day, but not on B day. Part of my planning period on A day is spent with my cheerleading team. So basically no break on B day and then cheerleading practice after school those days. Just barely keeping my head above water at the moment. It will get better, it's just going to take some time.

My girls were reading about the Star Wars hotel the other day. I can't remember the cost, but it was a lot.
Your schedule sounds horrible, frankly. You must be fried by the end of the week. I must say teaching isn't a profession I would recommend lightly. It's not so much the hours as much as it is the quality of experience. I'm sure it's the same with your school, as it is everywhere, but the variety of students and their challenges is, well, challenging. Best wishes to you going forward. I admit my schedule is quite good this year, and I still get worn out.

The primary article regarding the cost of the new SW hotel claims "sources" saying $3,300 for a 3-day, 2-night stay for a single person, thus "slightly over $1,000 a day." I don't count the days when figuring my cost since you have to travel, can't generally get in before 3-4 p.m., and you gotta be out by 11 a.m. For me, this means the price is $1,650 per night per person. Now, the article goes on to imply the more people you have, the lower the cost equates to be. They're calling them "cabins," as in being on a Star Wars Battle Cruiser (which is, I think, close to what the actual name of the hotel is), and those regular cabins can hold 5 people costing $7,200, or $720 per person per night. There are first class cabins that will be available the article goes on to report, but no rumored pricing has been broadcast. Regardless, this price is WAY too steep for me, even if we had that kind of money to spend. . .which we don't. I don't care that it's set up to be like a cruise line where most food and non-alcoholic drinks are included. That's still too much. For that kind of money, you can go on an actual cruise in concierge level and still have change left over.

I've calculated that I can sell my VWL contract and get approx 5 nights at the new Star Wars hotel. It cannot be 5 nights in a row but will actually be 2 1/2 stays of the 2 night maximum.

Who's with me?!

popcorn::
Obviously, that would be a hard "no" from us. While we might, and likely will, visit Riviera at some point just to check it out, we will not be going to the SW hotel unless we hit the mega-millions lottery. pirate:

The primary article regarding the cost of the new SW hotel claims "sources" saying $3,300 for a 3-day, 2-night stay for a single person, thus "slightly over $1,000 a day." I don't count the days when figuring my cost since you have to travel, can't generally get in before 3-4 p.m., and you gotta be out by 11 a.m. For me, this means the price is $1,650 per night per person. Now, the article goes on to imply the more people you have, the lower the cost equates to be. They're calling them "cabins," as in being on a Star Wars Battle Cruiser (which is, I think, close to what the actual name of the hotel is), and those regular cabins can hold 5 people costing $7,200, or $720 per person per night. There are first class cabins that will be available the article goes on to report, but no rumored pricing has been broadcast. Regardless, this price is WAY too steep for me, even if we had that kind of money to spend. . .which we don't. I don't care that it's set up to be like a cruise line where most food and non-alcoholic drinks are included. That's still too much. For that kind of money, you can go on an actual cruise in concierge level and still have change left over.

Obviously, that would be a hard "no" from us. While we might, and likely will, visit Riviera at some point just to check it out, we will not be going to the SW hotel unless we hit the mega-millions lottery. pirate:

lol - the snippet I read said $3,300 per night per person! Oh well then by all means since that is approx. 5 stays for my 200 VWL points! Really? Nobody else jumping in? :p

So, as long as we are in the Star Wars mode, kind of....I was looking at doing a little planning for our October trip and see that they will have 6:00 am - 9:00 am Extra Magic Hours at DHS every day while we're there. I guess I haven't followed this much but then I saw that MK and AK also have a morning EMH for one hour every day.

I suppose I wasn't aware that they had expanded the EMH times to include multiple parks every day.

And I don't see myself getting up for a 6:00 am rope drop for DHS just to ride Smugglers' Run. There are no FP's offered for this ride so I guess it will just have to move to the bottom of my bucket list for now.

Star Wars stay will be out of my price range:sad2:
I told Tammy about the price per night and she said that's ridiculous! Its like a slap in the face, basically saying, if you aren't among the elite, you can't stay here. Hope the price will come down and allow more fans to be able to do this.
I realize there are a lot of pieces, CMs and all to make the immersive experience come alive, but I fear it will be way out of range for most to be able to justify.

Oh well, in better news, we are in the process of switching over to BLT this AM. We have VWL currently and have no issue with keeping it, but BLT is a hard ticket to get these days for non owners and the time of year we are considering is higher points so not as likely to be to not land at 7 months. We will be at VWL in Dec and cannot wait!! So switching over, having monorail to Epcot for F&G fest will be nice. We are beyond driving the trip anymore so transportation on property will be a bit more critical for us than ever before, but would rather wait on a bus than have to face the drive down 95 anymore.

Star Wars Hotel - I'll go if I can have a real Speeder Bike - price sounds about right , , , maybe.
I think there's a plan to replace the ECVs with Speeder Bikes. . .pirate:

Star Wars stay will be out of my price range:sad2:
I told Tammy about the price per night and she said that's ridiculous! Its like a slap in the face, basically saying, if you aren't among the elite, you can't stay here. Hope the price will come down and allow more fans to be able to do this.
I realize there are a lot of pieces, CMs and all to make the immersive experience come alive, but I fear it will be way out of range for most to be able to justify.

Oh well, in better news, we are in the process of switching over to BLT this AM. We have VWL currently and have no issue with keeping it, but BLT is a hard ticket to get these days for non owners and the time of year we are considering is higher points so not as likely to be to not land at 7 months. We will be at VWL in Dec and cannot wait!! So switching over, having monorail to Epcot for F&G fest will be nice. We are beyond driving the trip anymore so transportation on property will be a bit more critical for us than ever before, but would rather wait on a bus than have to face the drive down 95 anymore.
I believe there would be a market for those who'd like to experience the SW hotel just not necessarily immerse themselves. It doesn't appear that is an option. Not only will I not pay that kind of money for a room, I don't really want to immerse myself--my Princess Leia costume no longer fits. . .

As you know, JT, we really like BLT. Oddly, it evokes old school Disney in a retro way. . .even though it's supposed to be contemporary. Weird. Anyway, we like the location a lot, and the rooms, though a bit sterile, are meant to be in that vein unlike newer builds where it's unintentional.

I don't know if any Groupies are planning on subscribing to the new Disney + streaming but FYI that now thru Sept 2nd they are offering a discount off for D23 members if you commit to 3 years of service. So instead of $6.99/month it makes it $3.92/month. And one of our DVC perks is a general membership in D23. If your planning on signing up might as well save some $$$'s! You can access the deal when you sign into your D23 account and then in the upper right hand corner select your account info.

I don't know if any Groupies are planning on subscribing to the new Disney + streaming but FYI that now thru Sept 2nd they are offering a discount off for D23 members if you commit to 3 years of service. So instead of $6.99/month it makes it $3.92/month. And one of our DVC perks is a general membership in D23. If your planning on signing up might as well save some $$$'s! You can access the deal when you sign into your D23 account and then in the upper right hand corner select your account info.

How did I not know we had a membership into D23? How do I create an account? I know we will be getting Disney+ so any way to save $ is a good thing.

.... nevermind. I figured it out. :) thanks

How did I not know we had a membership into D23? How do I create an account? I know we will be getting Disney+ so any way to save $ is a good thing.

.... nevermind. I figured it out. :) thanks

I signed up way, way back when. It looks like the lowest level membership (that's me!) is complimentary for anyone now. Just go to the D23 website and sign up. It's still showing me the ability to get the discount on Disney +.

I signed up way, way back when. It looks like the lowest level membership (that's me!) is complimentary for anyone now. Just go to the D23 website and sign up. It's still showing me the ability to get the discount on Disney +.

We have Tivo (dated I know but we like it). So I want to make sure Tivo is going to carry Disney+ before we sign up.

I just saw this " The offer is open to all D23 Expo guests for a limited period during the D23 Expo (August 22–25); it will be available online from August 26 through September 2 exclusively for D23 Members. Valid for US residents with US payment method only. "

So do we all get the discount or just those who went to the expo?

I just saw this " The offer is open to all D23 Expo guests for a limited period during the D23 Expo (August 22–25); it will be available online from August 26 through September 2 exclusively for D23 Members. Valid for US residents with US payment method only. "

So do we all get the discount or just those who went to the expo?

It's open for all D23 members from today thru Sept 2nd. The Expo attendees were able to sign up during the Expo which ended yesterday.

I did it yesterday. Don't know how I am going to access it. Probably the pc some. My son will use his xbox, but other than that I will worry about that later!

Hope all groupies are doing well and staying cool. Monday we had a heat index of 112 and I felt every bit of it. It was better today. We had a cool front which brought us some much needed rain.

Yes, the Star Wars hotel will be out of my league also. Right now I just wish I had the time to go home to the lodge. I have a cruise in a month, so I guess that will have to be enough for a while.

Kathy...this is a great tip! I had no idea that we had free access to D23. And that they have this kind of discount. I went ahead and bit the bullet on Disney+...interesting that in order to get the discount you have to prepay the 3 years. But still, in the scheme of things, less than $4 a month for their content should be a pretty good deal.

Now if I can just figure out how to get this added to my smart TV and my Roku! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!