Wait Time Tracking Chart: Disney World's New Normal

Thanks for posting this... hoping the times dont creep up on us as we near our trip at the beginning of August.

Point of reference - I waited an hour yesterday...to get into IKEA in Coast Mesa, CA. Guessing compliance with masks and social distancing were better at WDW, and I certainly know where I would have rather been😜

So curious how wait times are going to be in Sept....historically lower, but if they stay like this I will be so pleased! But does anyone think some people are waiting til Sept to take trips because they wanted to avoid summer/opening madness? Or will see the low crowds and be so wary of the virus narrative 2 months from now that they'll just risk it?

Butterscotch... I think it is anyones guess... I think it could go either way.. people waiting? or more schools opening up after Labor day causing guests to stay home.... like others... I think I will feel safer at Disney that I do at Sams..... but.. others need to wait till the 2nd week of Aug to go... wink wink... =)

Baloo

So curious how wait times are going to be in Sept....historically lower, but if they stay like this I will be so pleased! But does anyone think some people are waiting til Sept to take trips because they wanted to avoid summer/opening madness? Or will see the low crowds and be so wary of the virus narrative 2 months from now that they'll just risk it?

obviously completely unknown how wait times will be
but i'm set to go over labor day (group of 8 adults over 3 reservations) and from what i've been seeing in the august 2020 and september 2020 threads a LOT of people are cancelling, have cancelled or are leaning towards cancelling.

especially with the news that some resorts aren't opening in september i've seen more lean towards the 'probably cancelling' side.

with that being said, obviously the disboards doesn't encompass everyone
but i also assume that us on these boards are much more patient and willing to travel to disney because we are clearly big fans

@wilkydelts , miss your posting! We are going in 4 days and wondering how the supposed "increased capacity" has affected things. Appreciate all your cataloging so far.

Interesting to see the wait times at Disney vs UO. Just looking at the app right now I see lots of 35-45 min times (Splash, Slinky, BTMRR, MFSR, Jungle Cruise, Frozen, etc) and even 75 mins for Mickeys Railway. Looking at the UO app, their times seem to mostly be around 5-10 mins, even for Harry Potter stuff. And I just saw they (UO) decreased park hours in August (presumably due to light attendance). I guess Disney's reopening is a bit "fresher" than UO and I know they get more crowds in general, but just found the discrepancy interesting.

We know 4 families that planned last minute trips when they saw how low the wait times were upon reopening. However, they all feel that the prices, restrictions, current health risks and cutbacks are only worth it if the lines/crowds stay low. I bet a lot of other people feel the same way.

todays the 7th which means more AP folks are allowed to the park. The short line party is over. Took a random look today and it was 45min of Pirates Carribean, 50min Avatar FOP, 55min splash mountain, 1 hour MMRR, etc.

Too bad.

Combined that with the diminished experience, hot weather, Covid risk, makes it pretty unappealing unless you are a local with AP IMO. Definitely not worth travelling long distance and paying full price for.

todays the 7th which means more AP folks are allowed to the park. The short line party is over. Took a random look today and it was 45min of Pirates Carribean, 50min Avatar FOP, 55min splash mountain, 1 hour MMRR, etc.

Too bad.

Combined that with the diminished experience, hot weather, Covid risk, makes it pretty unappealing unless you are a local with AP IMO. Definitely not worth travelling long distance and paying full price for.
I was watching wait times today and also saw exactly what you did. We leave tomorrow. Bad timing and bad luck that we probably won't get to experience the short waits that had been so common.

Too bad.

That is misleading one random check of the day does not indicate longer wait times.

1. APs have a certain bucket to draw from it is just more people fighting in that bucket. Capacity has not increased.

2. If it is Friday, Saturday or Sunday so higher chance of people attending

3. When I saw some one claim wait times were high I got on and didn’t see anything that much different. Again showing checking one random time does not tell the story.

Last edited:
We were at the MK yesterday (Saturday) and AK Friday. MK on Saturday was totally different than on Monday and Tuesday. 1hr or more wait times on Splash, Mine Train, and 45 mins on POC. Small World and Speedway were about 15-20 mins. Definitely more crowds--but overall still very light. I think that Saturday was the first day they were going to get close to the "new" capacity (according to a CM). We had 30 min wait at 2pm for monorail back to the resort as well. AK on Friday wasn't bad at all- FOP was 25 mins but basically it was just a continuous walk up to the ride. KS had the longest wait in the morning-40 mins or so. I will also say the hotel pool and general business was much greater on Saturday than it had been all week.

(8/9/20) Magic Kingdom- Ride Wait Times

Ride10:00a1:00p4:00p
Dumbo
5​
5​
5​
Winnie the Pooh
5​
25​
5​
Peter Pan
10​
25​
15​
Small World
5​
20​
15​
Haunted Mansion
15​
40​
30​
Jungle Cruise
10​
35​
20​
Pirates of Caribbean
15​
35​
45​
Big Thunder Mountain
35​
30​
25​
Space Mountain
10​
25​
15​
Splash Mountain
30​
40​
55​
Seven Dwarfs
40​
35​
30​

(8/9/20) Animal Kingdom- Ride Wait Times

Ride10:00a1:00p4:00p
Dinosaur
15​
60​
35​
Kali River Rapids
20​
30​
5​
Expedition Everest
20​
15​
25​
Na’vi River Journey
45​
30​
25​
Flights of Passage
30​
40​
20​
Kilimanjaro Safaris
35​
15​
25​

(8/9/20) Hollywood Studios- Ride Wait Times

Ride12:00p3:00p6:00p
Alien Swirling Saucers
20​
20​
5​
Toy Story Mania
25​
10​
10​
Tower of Terror
35​
60​
20​
Rock n’ Roller Coaster
40​
35​
15​
Millennium Falcon
75​
25​
15​
Slinky Dog Dash
50​
45​
30​
Mickey & Minnie Railway
45​
45​
35​

(8/9/20) EPCOT- Ride Wait Times

Ride12:00p3:00p6:00p
The Land
15​
10​
10​
Seas with Nemo
10​
10​
5​
Spaceship Earth
15​
5​
15​
Mission Space
30​
10​
10​
Soarin’
35​
20​
20​
Test Track
60​
50​
closed​
Frozen
30​
45​
40​

Dang, I haven't checked in for a while and these times have clearly increased. I guess I shouldn't expect 10min-all-day wait times for FOP when we are there Columbus Day weekend. This changes the equation. Wearing a mask all day in exchange for short waits for everything was worth it. But going through all of the extra work and still waiting 40 minutes for Haunted Mansion doesn't make sense. With three kids, eliminating wait times was a HUGE benefit and could make the extra hassel worth it.

We've been to Cedar Point and Hershey Park in the last month. CP had low crowds but extremely long waits (a lot of closed rides, limited capacity on rides, etc.). Will not go back for a while. At Hershey, almost everything was open and was a walk-on. Just an awesome time; great park experience. Was hoping for that experience at WDW.

Hate to say it, but you almost can't trust the wait times at all. You need to go to the ride and see how long the lines are, and experience a couple before you get a feel of what's going on. Also, see if the line is moving. Lines that have stopped moving for a long time could be undergoing cleaning, which sometimes is mentioned by a CM at the attraction entrance, sometimes it happens while you're in line. No real way to plan for it.

7DMT had a pretty consistent listed wait time on Saturday despite wild variance in the actual line size. I know this because I was in Fantasyland most of the day trying to ride or eat somewhere that didn't feel mobbed.

Generally speaking, the listed wait time is longer than the actual wait time. Sometimes by quite a bit.

I don’t know if the “posted” wait times are completely accurate. They seem to guess, not sure if they are heading out the time tracker cards like I have seem before. Pretty much every ride I was able to get in under the posted time, sometimes 20 minutes less than what was posted. Longest wait was probably today on the Mickey Minnie runaway railway, which was 50 min (or 70 minutes depending on the line of demarcation) getting in line, ended up a 40 minute wait.

Wait times have not been even close. Was at MK today. Jungle Cruise always seemed to have a posted 30 min wait but when we got in it was 5 minutes. Big Thunder and Space each had a posted wait of 10 mins, actually 30. I would estimate most queues were 10-20 mins with the exception of Seven Dwarves, which I can’ accurately estimate because it went down due to lightning while we were in line, but prior to the storm, we had already waited longer than the posted 35 mins and were just entering the indoor part if the queue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter