• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Walking" a Reservation

Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?

• Yes

Votes: 72 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 114 61.3%

• Total voters
I have nothing much else to add - but I think it's funny that we are talking about the ethics of booking a hotel room.
"The true test of a [person]'s character is what he does when no one is watching."

I was one who strongly opposed walking a reservation....until this year when I almost lost out. We'd booked our home resort, OKW, at 11 months, just to have a place to stay. However, our DGDs really had their heart set on Kidani, a non-home resort. So at 7 months we were going to switch. Because we needed the OKW points in order to book Kidani, we were told we'd have to call. In the last few days before the 7 month window opened, I double-checked availability just to be sure I was OK. Well, every day the first one or two days were gone. Our 7 month window was the 20th, so panicky, I called on the 19th. No availability for the 19th, try tomorrow for the 20th. And when I called right at 9:00 on the 20th, I got one of the last rooms available, went on-line a few minutes later, no availability. This was a special circumstance, to want to stay at a non-home resort, but ordinarily I'd agree with what I've read here-buy where you want to stay and be ready to book at 11 months.

"The true test of a [person]'s character is what he does when no one is watching."

Meh, honestly I can handle a couple of strangers on the internet not liking my ethics if it means I get the room I want.

To be clear, I've now "walked" once for my 4-night AKV value room in November 2017, I only "walked" it once, booking 3 days early, and then shifting it 3 days later. Might not have even been necessary as we've also booked a value studio 2 other times without walking, but we are arriving partway through W&D Marathon weekend, and I didn't have enough points for a standard room. If some on this boards think less of me for it, so be it. As I said, I have no ethical qualms against it. I also used to use FPs late on purpose - so I am clearly morally

The problem, as I see it, is that there's a difference between the "rules" and the implementation of a policy to satisfy the rules. The "rule" is that you can book at 11 months. The policy is that you can book 7 days into the future at that point. That was not how it originally worked; you use to be limited to the single day at 11 months.

The way I see it, walking means that you're taking advantage of a policy which was set up to make booking more convenient, but you are using it beyond what was intended. And, morally and ethically, it's the intent that matters.

Actually, the booking 1 day at 11 months was also technically circumventing the rule and why the new booking policy was put in place - it was leaving too many stranded days and moves.

The past booking policy was that you called to book on what would have been your day of check out. So, if you were only staying one night then you followed the rule by calling at 11 months for that one night. But if you did that but were staying a week you were not following the booking guideline set forth.

When I purchased a timeshare at Disney , I made it my mission to understand everything about it before putting down my money. I bought enough points to purchase what I need and determined how I intended to use those points within the guidelines set by Disney. Anyone can walk a reservation if you know how and are willing to do it. People who have more points can effectively have an advantage when walking as they have more flexibility than someone with less. Other than that , if you understand the system then you are on an equal playing field with anyone else who understands the system. If you want a BW Grand villa then you have to have enough points to walk at 11 months or you will simply not get it. My advantage is that I bought enough contracts to give me an advantage in getting what I need without borrowing points. I pay a lot more in dues too . I wouldn't buy into a timeshare if I didn't think I could get what I want 80% of the time with proper planning . I do not go as often but when I do, it is important to me where I stay and what unit I can get. I have often seen a day I need missing for whatever reason but I constantly check until it becomes available and do not give up or change my plans accordingly. . If that is being selfish then guilty as charged. I am amazed how many people spend tons of money on a product they do not understand and then do nothing but complain about others who do understand all the ins and outs. Disney is about planning or being left out of just about everything..dining, special events, fast passes. If you love
spontaneity find another vacation. Buy where you want to stay most of the time , enough points to comfortably get the unit you need and know which times require walking and which do not. Best advice I can give and I have been a member since 1999.

I was one who strongly opposed walking a reservation....until this year when I almost lost out. We'd booked our home resort, OKW, at 11 months, just to have a place to stay. However, our DGDs really had their heart set on Kidani, a non-home resort. So at 7 months we were going to switch. Because we needed the OKW points in order to book Kidani, we were told we'd have to call. In the last few days before the 7 month window opened, I double-checked availability just to be sure I was OK. Well, every day the first one or two days were gone. Our 7 month window was the 20th, so panicky, I called on the 19th. No availability for the 19th, try tomorrow for the 20th. And when I called right at 9:00 on the 20th, I got one of the last rooms available, went on-line a few minutes later, no availability. This was a special circumstance, to want to stay at a non-home resort, but ordinarily I'd agree with what I've read here-buy where you want to stay and be ready to book at 11 months.
Depends entirely when you travel and room type. If you envisage always travelling off DVC season in a one bed, you can book anywhere at 7 months so it makes sense to buy the best bang for the buck.

I posted this on another thread about walking as well but, I now see a way walking a reservation can backfire on you. If you book a reservation (or two) and plan to walk them AND you have used all/most all of your points doing so, then, on the day your preferred reservation opens and all of the days are there (but you know it's popular), you have to wait until 9 to call MS to adjust but someone else can just come online and book the entire stay you wanted. Or, you have to risk cancelling the ones you have and re-book. Yesterday that almost happened to me. Luckily I called right at 9 a.m. and the cm who helped me quickly modify so I would get it, but it was a close call she said - she was getting a strange message at one point. Very nerve-wracking! The only reason I was walking the reservation in the first place was because there are 9 of us, I have "limited" points/choices at this time for all of us (AKV was preferred), and my DIL has already requested that week off since I mentioned it - she's a manager in a pharmacy and has no flexibility. I don't think I'll do that again! :scared: Next time I'll book when something is available and if someone can't go, oh well.

I posted this on another thread about walking as well but, I now see a way walking a reservation can backfire on you. If you book a reservation (or two) and plan to walk them AND you have used all/most all of your points doing so, then, on the day your preferred reservation opens and all of the days are there (but you know it's popular), you have to wait until 9 to call MS to adjust but someone else can just come online and book the entire stay you wanted. Or, you have to risk cancelling the ones you have and re-book. Yesterday that almost happened to me. Luckily I called right at 9 a.m. and the cm who helped me quickly modify so I would get it, but it was a close call she said - she was getting a strange message at one point. Very nerve-wracking! The only reason I was walking the reservation in the first place was because there are 9 of us, I have "limited" points/choices at this time for all of us (AKV was preferred), and my DIL has already requested that week off since I mentioned it - she's a manager in a pharmacy and has no flexibility. I don't think I'll do that again! :scared: Next time I'll book when something is available and if someone can't go, oh well.

Were you trying to walk a 7-month booking or a 11-month booking? Walking an 11-month booking there is no way that your room can get blocked by another, unless it's Disney taking rooms out of service. 7-month walking I can totally see this happening, though. It really isn't practical to try and walk a 7-month reservation since you can get blocked out too easily.

Were you trying to walk a 7-month booking or a 11-month booking? Walking an 11-month booking there is no way that your room can get blocked by another, unless it's Disney taking rooms out of service. 7-month walking I can totally see this happening, though. It really isn't practical to try and walk a 7-month reservation since you can get blocked out too easily.
Yes, a 7 month. I know I could have gotten blocked, but I really wanted to try. I have to admit that, although there is no rule against it, I felt like something wasn't right. Maybe because I couldn't be excited like I usually am because, until the last day, I still hadn't gotten what I really wanted. Weird. But I don't have a problem with people doing it and the cm's who helped me modify didn't seem to care at all. In fact, one said that I did really well. :)

Yes, a 7 month. I know I could have gotten blocked, but I really wanted to try. I have to admit that, although there is no rule against it, I felt like something wasn't right. Maybe because I couldn't be excited like I usually am because, until the last day, I still hadn't gotten what I really wanted. Weird. But I don't have a problem with people doing it and the cm's who helped me modify didn't seem to care at all. In fact, one said that I did really well. :)

Yes - walking for the 7-month has no real guarantee that it is going to work...yet still "frowned on" by a portion of the community, so it is a tough thing to do and enjoy the booking process until it is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter