Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Staying at the Dolphin for the first time this coming Labor Day weekend! All DVC points rooms were full so this was the best value we could find on Disney property. I love staying in the Boardwalk area but I've never stayed at a non-Disney resort so this will be an interesting experience! Any advice for a Dolphin newbie?

PLEASE report back on your own findings.
I have a few DVC friends who can't understand the whole "not disney enough" statements that folks use to describe the Swan/Dolphin. I specifically ask them about the other resorts pricings vs the Swan/Dolphin pricings, and they all say the Swan/Dolphin would easily win out in the price comparisons I throw at them. Granted, I'm only pinging three dvc owners, but they are all disneyphiles, and go multiple times per year, and try to stay at every resort. I've only stayed at Swan, recently, and the Poly when I was younger. I thought Swan was an absolute blast, all in all.

We loved the Dolphin for the location. Rooms were nice, pool was great with a sand beach area (though we generally get to the pool about once a trip). We could see both Epcot & HS from our room and easily walked to both. The decor is not full on Disney theming but for $ and location, I can deal. I'd rather stay Dolphin for location than Disney at a value. Plus I can pay with points.

We loved the Dolphin for the location. Rooms were nice, pool was great with a sand beach area (though we generally get to the pool about once a trip). We could see both Epcot & HS from our room and easily walked to both. The decor is not full on Disney theming but for $ and location, I can deal. I'd rather stay Dolphin for location than Disney at a value. Plus I can pay with points.

ITA! Basically, you pay mod prices for deluxe accommodations at the Swan and Dolphin.

And the resort is beautiful enough that I don't miss having a "theme" especially when I see how generic the latest decor for Disney resorts is. The Swan and Dolphin hotels, the grounds and common areas are drop-dead gorgeous.

ITA! Basically, you pay mod prices for deluxe accommodations at the Swan and Dolphin.

I have seen this exact statement countless times here on the DIS, but for 6 years now I have been unsuccessful in being able to make it happen. I check constantly at all different times of the year, with zero success.

We adore the Epcot Area Resorts with Boardwalk being our favorite. But unless we can rent points from my family it's just too high. Our 2nd favorite is CBR and love staying there. We feel it's the best bang for our $$ on property. If I could book the Swan or Dolphin for something close to CBR, I'd jump all over it. Can you give me any tips how to make it happen? It's becoming an obsession.

@dansdad Do you have access to Costco? Their travel agency puts out package deals for the Swan and Dolphin that are exceptional values.

The dates matter a lot because the resort does so much conference business. You can try the booking sites like Expedia and Priceline, but I would also try through the ads that pop up on the Disboards.

And also just call them. A live agent can help steer your dates to when you can book for a good price. :)

@dansdad Do you have access to Costco? Their travel agency puts out package deals for the Swan and Dolphin that are exceptional values.

The dates matter a lot because the resort does so much conference business. You can try the booking sites like Expedia and Priceline, but I would also try through the ads that pop up on the Disboards.

And also just call them. A live agent can help steer your dates to when you can book for a good price. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried every one of them. But I will continue my quest!

PLEASE report back on your own findings.
I have a few DVC friends who can't understand the whole "not disney enough" statements that folks use to describe the Swan/Dolphin. I specifically ask them about the other resorts pricings vs the Swan/Dolphin pricings, and they all say the Swan/Dolphin would easily win out in the price comparisons I throw at them. Granted, I'm only pinging three dvc owners, but they are all disneyphiles, and go multiple times per year, and try to stay at every resort. I've only stayed at Swan, recently, and the Poly when I was younger. I thought Swan was an absolute blast, all in all.

I've always loved the look of the Dolphin. A couple advantages I can immediately tell you that DVC has for us: balconies or patios in every room, and no parking/resort fees. We also like having the kitchen space because we tend to prepare breakfast and snacks in the room. But I've got nothing against the Dolphin. It's a lovely hotel and I've walked by/through it many times. I'll be sure to report on my thoughts when I return!

Parking fees - I read in the intro (written in 2014) they are up to $20 self-park and $30 valet. Per day. Is that still true or is it even higher now?

That's a pretty significant addition to the room rate. We last stayed in 2011 - don't recall what it was back then.

EDIT: A search of the thread shows a post by Dan this year saying its the same. But there is also a 6.5% tax added to it? Wow - $32 for valet, plus I assume a tip is customary each time.

I was at the Dolphin at the beginning of this month and had a car so I just checked my receipt. I did self park and it was $20 for parking and $1.30 for tax. So $21.30 to self park.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried every one of them. But I will continue my quest!

Dan - while checking my receipt a few minutes ago for the self parking fee I looked at my room charge. It was $166.25 per night + 10/81 room charge qualified discount + 9.98 room tax + $25 resort fee + 1.63 resort service package tax + 1.50 resort tax resort svc. pkg (which sounds a lot like the previous charge) which adds up to $215.17 per night. Add to that I had to pay $21.30 for self parking every night. So, nope not less than a moderate. I have an upcoming stay in Sept. at Dolphin that according to the breakdown on my confirmation will be $164.16 per night + $28.13 Service Package + $10.67 State Sales Tax + $9.85 local resort tax = $212.81 per night plus the $21.30 per night for self parking (I drive down) so again, not less than a moderate. Nothing available the week I'm going but the week before I could get CSR for $133.70 before taxes so nope, can't get Dolphin at a moderate price. Can't find anything at the Epcot deluxes available for either the week before or the week I'm there for comparison but I can guarantee Dolphin is less.

I have seen this exact statement countless times here on the DIS, but for 6 years now I have been unsuccessful in being able to make it happen. I check constantly at all different times of the year, with zero success.

We adore the Epcot Area Resorts with Boardwalk being our favorite. But unless we can rent points from my family it's just too high. Our 2nd favorite is CBR and love staying there. We feel it's the best bang for our $$ on property. If I could book the Swan or Dolphin for something close to CBR, I'd jump all over it. Can you give me any tips how to make it happen? It's becoming an obsession.

Dan, I have gotten both the Swan and Dolphin in the $140-150 range (without taxes or resort fee) as late as March 2016. I would use the nurse's discount or AAA discount. I haven't seen those prices for the times I have looked since the merger with Marriott. I really don't know if the merger has anything to do with it or not, but I do know the discounts I used to enjoy are on the website still, but really aren't a discount anymore.

What kind of luck have you guys had booking a standard view room at the dolphin and getting the complimentary upgrade/enhanced room?

Just wondering, I have spg gold and booked the standard room with points...just hoping I get really lucky but have low expectations.

What kind of luck have you guys had booking a standard view room at the dolphin and getting the complimentary upgrade/enhanced room?

Just wondering, I have spg gold and booked the standard room with points...just hoping I get really lucky but have low expectations.

I've read through many of the recent posts of this thread (back to page 130 or so, I think - eyes glazed at a certain point) and the sense I got was that it's a toss-up whether you get an upgrade with SPG gold when booking on points. I didn't want to risk roll of the dice, so I called and spent a few extra points to ensure an upgrade. Maybe you could try that if an upgraded room is important to you?

I usually find deals on LMT Club, which I joined with a free promo several years ago and have never needed to renew and never paid a fee. They will sometimes include the resort charge in the rate there and it can be a bargain. For Labor Day I booked straight through Starwood as it was the same cost as using Orbitz or LMT Club.

Nothing available the week I'm going but the week before I could get CSR for $133.70 before taxes so nope, can't get Dolphin at a moderate price.
That's not a fair comparison if the week isn't the same as Disney drastically alters their prices from week to week based on demand and has been offering significant savings at CBR and CSR due to construction impacts. I have gotten the Swan or Dolphin at a lower or the same price as a moderate every time I have stayed - I know that doesn't help DansDad find the rate, but the occasional deal can be found!

I usually find deals on LMT Club, which I joined with a free promo several years ago and have never needed to renew and never paid a fee. They will sometimes include the resort charge in the rate there and it can be a bargain. For Labor Day I booked straight through Starwood as it was the same cost as using Orbitz or LMT Club.

That's not a fair comparison if the week isn't the same as Disney drastically alters their prices from week to week based on demand and has been offering significant savings at CBR and CSR due to construction impacts. I have gotten the Swan or Dolphin at a lower or the same price as a moderate every time I have stayed - I know that doesn't help DansDad find the rate, but the occasional deal can be found!

I agree comparing the same week would be ideal but there is nothing available anywhere the week I have booked except like $1000 a night at CR, there was a pirate room at CBR for $189 the week I'm going, which would still be less than what the Dolphin would be for that same week. For me it's worth paying a little more to stay at Swan/Dolphin because of it's location and I've done many stays there. I always shop around when I book but also can't come up with some secret way for DansDad to get a better rate.

Prices at the Swan & Dolphin drop when you get closer to the travel dates as well. The first time I stayed there was because I unexpectedly got some time off at work and only had 3 weeks to plan the trip. Every Disney hotel was rack rate that close to travel, but the Dolphin was $139. The next time I stayed, I booked a little further out, about 3 months, but this time I went for an Epcot fireworks room and it was $252. The view was amazing, and I would have paid a ton more at the other Epcot resorts for a lake view room. If you're planning far in advance, that might be why you're not seeing lower rates.

How long does it take to get from the Swan bus stop to each of MK and AK? Trying to do some daily planning ahead of our ADR window opening in a week and a half ...

Prices at the Swan & Dolphin drop when you get closer to the travel dates as well. The first time I stayed there was because I unexpectedly got some time off at work and only had 3 weeks to plan the trip. Every Disney hotel was rack rate that close to travel, but the Dolphin was $139. The next time I stayed, I booked a little further out, about 3 months, but this time I went for an Epcot fireworks room and it was $252. The view was amazing, and I would have paid a ton more at the other Epcot resorts for a lake view room. If you're planning far in advance, that might be why you're not seeing lower rates.

I have tried this too. But thank you. I'll post back if I am ever successful.

Have you ever thought of applying for the SPG Amex card? There is always a sign-up bonus, for a minimum spend within the first few months. The Dolphin traditional rooms are 10,000 points per night, + taxes, resort fee, and parking. Sometimes, there are also cash+points dates available.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/starwood-preferred-guest/

Have you ever thought of applying for the SPG Amex card? There is always a sign-up bonus, for a minimum spend within the first few months. The Dolphin traditional rooms are 10,000 points per night, + taxes, resort fee, and parking. Sometimes, there are also cash+points dates available.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/starwood-preferred-guest/

Thanks. I'll look into that. However, we currently use our Southwest CC for everything (and pay it off monthly) to get the miles. We haven't paid for plane tickets in years. Not sure I have anything left to use the SPG Amex on. But again, I will look into it and thank you.

For me it's worth paying a little more to stay at Swan/Dolphin because of it's location and I've done many stays there. I always shop around when I book

Oh I totally agree and I wasn't trying to demean your viewpoint - I get what you are saying for sure since there are definitely times I shop it and Swalphin is $350+ :faint: But I just can't bring myself to pay much north of $200 at a moderate, especially since discounts at the Port Orleans resorts have all but disappeared. That said, we actually really liked Coronado, but I think now the building location we loved so much is right on the borderland with construction.

"Disney math" can justify quite a few extra bucks to stay at the Dolphin during construction time at other resorts!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!