Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

In October, I stayed at my usual POP in a renovated room and loved it. We used to stay at Moderate resorts and once at a deluxe, but I require only a clean, comfortable room, somewhere that I enjoy being.

Because of SPG points, I'm looking at the Dolphin/Swan for the first time. Generally speaking, this board seems to really like that property; the rest of the world, not so much. I love staying on property and understand the differences thanks to these many posts, but I'm having trouble squaring the enthusiasm I see here, including the article shared above, with the truly awful reviews on Trivago and TripAdvisor.

I understand that people leave bad reviews for stupid reasons (it rained on you when you left your room and this is the resort's fault?). I also know that when I have experienced a place, I am able to evaluate reviews accordingly. But unclean, worn out rooms are a real issue for me and that's what I'm seeing review-wise.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

In October, I stayed at my usual POP in a renovated room and loved it. We used to stay at Moderate resorts and once at a deluxe, but I require only a clean, comfortable room, somewhere that I enjoy being.

Because of SPG points, I'm looking at the Dolphin/Swan for the first time. Generally speaking, this board seems to really like that property; the rest of the world, not so much. I love staying on property and understand the differences thanks to these many posts, but I'm having trouble squaring the enthusiasm I see here, including the article shared above, with the truly awful reviews on Trivago and TripAdvisor.

I understand that people leave bad reviews for stupid reasons (it rained on you when you left your room and this is the resort's fault?). I also know that when I have experienced a place, I am able to evaluate reviews accordingly. But unclean, worn out rooms are a real issue for me and that's what I'm seeing review-wise.

My experience in October is more in line with what you are seeing on Trivago and Trip Advisor. The carpets in the hallway looked worn. My room had a musty smell to it, until I ran the air conditioner super low for a long while (and used some room spray for good measure).

The room was comfortable, for sure. And I loved being able to walk to the boat to get to Epcot and the Disney Studios. But I still feel kind of Meh about my stay. It was ok. I didn't love it like I had hoped I would.

@Darlynne - I guess you'd count me in the swan fan group. Though it's been 10 years since we've been there when we came down to choosing a Moderate or the Swan for our January trip the Swan won out. Biggest reason is location. It would mean we'd only need to use bus transportation for 2 of our 4 days. If you read as much about the hotels as the transportation you'll understand that concern. We've always had good experiences with the Swan when it came to bus service, but we had that with Coronado too. I think some of that is since they are both convention hotels perhaps.

We don't live in our rooms during the day so the theming is nice but not a huge deal, I get the Disney theming at the parks where it matters more to me. Honestly some of the rooms are great for kids at the Mods but a bit over the top for my style. I enjoy and appreciate the more subtle themes in the S/D.

The SPG points is a great deal IMHO. Our first two stays were heavily based on that aspect. First trip we did cash & points, second trip was all points, hard to beat that. This time we went through Costco so full cash price and I still feel we got a good value.

All that said we head out in late January and if I feel the hotel has gone way down hill I will say it here. Though most quality hotels have upgraded their bedding the S/D was one of the ones 10 years ago that made me fall in love with the Heavenly Beds, and one reason I try to stay at a Sheraton/Westin hotel when I can.

You will find clean, comfortable rooms at both the Swan and Dolphin. In fact the Disney deluxe beds hold no candle whatsoever to the amazing comfort of the beds at the Swan/dolphin. Yes, I have experienced the musty odor on arriving in a room. Was it clean? Yes. Did the odor affect my stay? Absolutely not. I generally find it dissipates after I run the air unit for a while. The Swan/Dolphin is my number one pick for value - the rooms in the Disney deluxe resorts adjacent are easily twice the price during the times I travel.

The only way you will know is to give it a shot yourself. I don't think you will be disappointed especially if you are staying on points!

Thanks to Priceline express deals and a 5% coupon I got a nightly rate at the Swan I was comfortable with for Martin Luther King weekend. ($168.50 after coupon, before tax and resort fee, in case that helps anyone). Could not be more excited to be returning "home" to one of the most beautiful resorts at the Festival of the Arts time! Hooooorahhhhh!!! :yay:

And many thanks to those who helped me with my prior points and parlor questions. For that trip, we elected to go with a deluxe alcove with adjoining room and a third room. Works out better for our group size. Can't believe I have two wonderful swolphin stays coming up!

My experience in October is more in line with what you are seeing on Trivago and Trip Advisor. The carpets in the hallway looked worn. My room had a musty smell to it, until I ran the air conditioner super low for a long while (and used some room spray for good measure).

The room was comfortable, for sure. And I loved being able to walk to the boat to get to Epcot and the Disney Studios. But I still feel kind of Meh about my stay. It was ok. I didn't love it like I had hoped I would.

I am in the Swan as I write this. I remembered your comments about the carpets, and so took a good look at them to check out what you said. As someone else posted after your comment, the carpets are not worn out. It actually is a pattern in the carpet. When you look down the hallway, you can see that it follows a wave pattern. I agree that if you didn't look at it carefully, it does appear to be worn spots, but it isn't. Now, whether or not people enjoy the look of the carpeting is a personal opinion. I kind of like it.

Carpeting issue aside, I am one who very much enjoys the Swan & Dolphin, and find them to be deluxe properties in WDW.

Thank you, all. This helps a great deal. SteveH, I look forward to hearing your report in January, but will go ahead and book the points now as there's a sale until 12/29. Proximity to Epcot is the biggest lure for me and you all think the beds are comfortable, so that's good enough. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you, all. This helps a great deal. SteveH, I look forward to hearing your report in January, but will go ahead and book the points now as there's a sale until 12/29. Proximity to Epcot is the biggest lure for me and you all think the beds are comfortable, so that's good enough. I really appreciate your help.
Honestly the beds are the best I've ever slept on. I slept better at Dolphin than I have in years. As for the Swolphin looking worn. They just completed an update/remodel. We stayed in an updated room in fall 2016 & loved it. We have also stayed at Fort Wilderness & POR. Loved the theming at POR, disliked a lot about FW. Dolphins beat both for beds & location.

At Dolphin right now. I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world. Stayed in many on site and off in Orlando.Dolphin definitely gets a big thumbs up from me. Price is very reasonable considering the product and location. Our room is a bit small but is clean and in very good shape. Staff have all been good to excellent. Pool and recreation area is fantastic. Prices for food and drink are reasonable; some 4 star resorts in Orlando really gouge for food and drink especially poolside so by comparison this has been quite good.We’ve only eaten at Picabou and poolside but it’s all been good.

IMHO main reason this place rates as it does on Trip advisor is because so many of those reviews come from business travelers whose ideal is a Hampton Inn. Lot of those visitors don’t value the location and as that location is a significant factor in the price they consider Swan and Dolphin overpriced and that shapes their review whether they explicitly mention that or not. I like Trip Advisor but their rating and ranking system has its flaws.

I am in the Swan as I write this. I remembered your comments about the carpets, and so took a good look at them to check out what you said. As someone else posted after your comment, the carpets are not worn out. It actually is a pattern in the carpet. When you look down the hallway, you can see that it follows a wave pattern. I agree that if you didn't look at it carefully, it does appear to be worn spots, but it isn't. Now, whether or not people enjoy the look of the carpeting is a personal opinion. I kind of like it.

Carpeting issue aside, I am one who very much enjoys the Swan & Dolphin, and find them to be deluxe properties in WDW.

lol This morning while coming back from mini golf my wife commented on the hallway carpet being worn and I said no, I think that’s the pattern. It definitely has that look.

We went from the Dolphin to BLT on our trip in September. We're staying there next Thursday night and at the end of January. We liked Dolphin more than our studio at BLT, both for location, beds, room size/layout... sometimes we like to have a microwave in room on vacation but we rarely use it more than once or twice, so it doesn't make it or break it for us. We also noticed the carpet pattern looking worn but I guess it was just the design. Our room was very recently renovated that we were in in September. The dolphin also makes a nice backdrop for wedding photos... ;)

We went from the Dolphin to BLT on our trip in September. We're staying there next Thursday night and at the end of January. We liked Dolphin more than our studio at BLT, both for location, beds, room size/layout... sometimes we like to have a microwave in room on vacation but we rarely use it more than once or twice, so it doesn't make it or break it for us. We also noticed the carpet pattern looking worn but I guess it was just the design. Our room was very recently renovated that we were in in September. The dolphin also makes a nice backdrop for wedding photos... ;)

Wait . . . no microwave at the Dolphin?

@Darlynne I can’t speak to what reviewers on Trip Advisor have to say, but I can tell you that my family occupied nine different rooms at the Swan over two trips in 2016 and 2017. Each of those nine rooms was immaculate and in perfect condition.

If you can get a free or discounted stay with points, you owe it to yourself to try it. My entire extended family utterly loves the resort, and some of them are very well traveled.

The staff members are awesome. We couldn’t get much bottled water at the supermarket last September because we arrived right after the hurricane. We asked housekeeping for extra water, and they gave us a whole case. The service there went above and beyond.

Last edited:
So we got back from our tip last weekend. We spent the first two nights at the Swan, Nov 23rd to 25th. I was worried about where they would put us since I paid $92 on priceline. Here is our view from our balcony on the 4th floor. We loved being able to walk over to Epcot in the evening! The beds were sooo comfortable! We were happy with our stay!

20171123_193751.jpg

20171123_211522.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter