Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Great price, nice view!!!
So we got back from our tip last weekend. We spent the first two nights at the Swan, Nov 23rd to 25th. I was worried about where they would put us since I paid $92 on priceline. Here is our view from our balcony on the 4th floor. We loved being able to walk over to Epcot in the evening! The beds were sooo comfortable! We were happy with our stay!

20171123_193751.jpg

20171123_211522.jpg

Oddball question - has anyone booked SPG "Nights and Flights?" I have a room booked at the Dolphin coming up - 6 nights for 50,000 spg points. It dawned on me today that I could pay another 20,000 SPG points and get 50,000 air miles via Nights and Flights, which is a 5 night package. I don't really need the miles right now, but it seems too good to pass up. I wonder if I could call SPG and convert what I have booked to the package??

Oddball question - has anyone booked SPG "Nights and Flights?" I have a room booked at the Dolphin coming up - 6 nights for 50,000 spg points. It dawned on me today that I could pay another 20,000 SPG points and get 50,000 air miles via Nights and Flights, which is a 5 night package. I don't really need the miles right now, but it seems too good to pass up. I wonder if I could call SPG and convert what I have booked to the package??
IMHO you’d be crazy not too.

At Dolphin right now. I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world. Stayed in many on site and off in Orlando.Dolphin definitely gets a big thumbs up from me. Price is very reasonable considering the product and location. Our room is a bit small but is clean and in very good shape. Staff have all been good to excellent. Pool and recreation area is fantastic. Prices for food and drink are reasonable; some 4 star resorts in Orlando really gouge for food and drink especially poolside so by comparison this has been quite good.We’ve only eaten at Picabou and poolside but it’s all been good.

IMHO main reason this place rates as it does on Trip advisor is because so many of those reviews come from business travelers whose ideal is a Hampton Inn. Lot of those visitors don’t value the location and as that location is a significant factor in the price they consider Swan and Dolphin overpriced and that shapes their review whether they explicitly mention that or not. I like Trip Advisor but their rating and ranking system has its flaws.

I spoke too soon. Everything was good up to a point and then we encountered problems similar to what others have reported.

No maid service two days in a row. Out each day 8:30 ish till 4. Complained first day, they said they service rooms till 7 and had not gotten to ours. Requested service for 6:30. Maid showed up at 8. Kids already in bed so said no thanks. Talked to somebody at front desk, asked them to make sure we got service next day.
Next day come back at 4pm, no service. Youngest napping. Maid came by 4:15 so again no thanks. I guess if you can accommodate their schedule this would be no problem.

Was overcharged $56 on my bill. Completely their mistake. Had to visit front desk and they fixed it.

For something like a Trip Advisor review I was at a 4/5 (I always knock one off for anyplace that charges a resort fee). Now I’d give Dolphin a 2 or 3/5. Lotta potential but some annoying problems.

IMHO you’d be crazy not too.

My math was off. You get a discount when transferring from SPG to airlines regardless of the promotion. So really, the "extra" bonus for doing this is 10K air miles. But I'd be losing flexibility as I'm not sure which airline to choose right now. Am answering my own question, but I'm gonna keep what I've got and let this one go I think.

The Swan and Dolphin offered guests checking out today either a 500 or 250 SPG points bonus, for checking out/vacating room today by 8:00 a.m. or 9:00 a.m., respectively. The MLB Winter Meetings have brought in thousands as guests at Dolphin (headquarters), Swan, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. This is a repeat group (I believe every other year), so they are top priority - unfortunately, maybe at the expense of other guests, today.

Housekeeping is scrambling to have the rooms ready for check-ins - not just at Swan and Dolphin.

I was at the Swan one year during the meetings. Very interesting, lots of hustle bustle ever
Yes, the Dolphin, especially, is really jumpin'.

MLB is broadcasting live from Phins at the Dolphin, with lots of exterior views of both Swan and Dolphin, when they return from breaks. Both resorts look fabulous in the nighttime shots!

The broadcast set is right in the open, and anyone can watch, if they so desire.

That's really not fair to dock a hotel a point because they charge a resort fee since you booked the hotel knowing about it in advance.

I think it’s completely fair. Resort fees are a scam. Me knowing about it before I booked and deciding that other factors still made me want to stay there doesn’t change the fact that the resort fee is a scam. If everybody did this resort fees would likely disappear.

The Swan and Dolphin offered guests checking out today either a 500 or 250 SPG points bonus, for checking out/vacating room today by 8:00 a.m. or 9:00 a.m., respectively. The MLB Winter Meetings have brought in thousands as guests at Dolphin (headquarters), Swan, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. This is a repeat group (I believe every other year), so they are top priority - unfortunately, maybe at the expense of other guests, today.

Housekeeping is scrambling to have the rooms ready for check-ins - not just at Swan and Dolphin.

Wow, that actually makes it sound even worse; I can’t get maid service for the past 2 days because they are too busy and I’m not important enough?
I hope that is not true but you might be right. Regardless, from my POV the reason is irrelevant. At checkin they offered a reward for declining maid service. I’m going to be asking for that at the least at checkout tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

If it was just me in the room I actually would not care about this at all. But with 2 adults and 2 kids (including one in diapers) this has been a real problem.

So this trip we did 5 nights in a cabin at Fort Wilderness and the maid service was bad (and that was with kids who were throwing up from a stomach bug). Then 4 nights at Dolphin and the maid service was worse. Tomorrow we move on to 5 nights at OKW and fingers crossed hoping they can buck the trend.

I think it’s completely fair. Resort fees are a scam. Me knowing about it before I booked and deciding that other factors still made me want to stay there doesn’t change the fact that the resort fee is a scam. If everybody did this resort fees would likely disappear.

I find resort fees really weird, as they are not a thing in the UK and I think there's a legal obligation is the price you're quoted is the price you pay, no hidden extras.

So the upside is because I booked the Dolphin through a UK travel agent I don't have to pay the resort or parking fee (Well I probably did already pay it in the combined price of Flights, accommodation, Disney Ticket and Car Hire) but it's just nice to know when I get there I'm not getting a separate bill.

Although if I did have to pay resort fee I think I would think twice about staying somewhere; so I think it would deserve to be deducted a point for that.

Just checking in with y,all! I am currently at BWI, but will be checking in to Dolphin tomorrow for 5 nights.

I stopped by Dolphin yesterday around 4 and I guess some of the meetings had just let out! I have never ever seen the lobby that packed! :faint:

Just checking in with y,all! I am currently at BWI, but will be checking in to Dolphin tomorrow for 5 nights.

I stopped by Dolphin yesterday around 4 and I guess some of the meetings had just let out! I have never ever seen the lobby that packed! :faint:
The MLB winter meetings end Thursday. I imagine that a major impetus for re-doing the lobby was the MLB booking. There is tremendous free advertising with the MLB Network broadcasting live from there and repeatedly saying that they are at the "beautiful" Swan/ Dolphin Resort.
Enjoy your stay. The new rooms and lobby are very nice.

So hopefully we won't be fighting to big of a crowd on Thursday night when we check in and meet some friends for drinks... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts