Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Any current reviews of Camp Dolphin? Thanks!
I'll give one :)

We used Camp Dolphin for our three girls- 8, 5, 5 this past April. It was fine. Satisfactory; safe. For our children, it lacked a bit in excitement. There were two adults supervising the room- no complaints with them, although they weren't the friendliest people in the world. A lot of the activities seemed to be centered around video games. The space was quite small. Overall, I trust Camp Dolphin and would use them again... but...

We were fortunate enough to also have the kids spend an evening at the Sandcastle Club across the lake on a different night. They loved it, and so did we :) The cast members were very engaged and enthusiastic. There were planned and structured activities. Disney characters stopped by. There was plenty of space. I know you didn't ask for a Sandcastle Club review, but I can't help but compare it to Camp Dolphin since we got to use both during the same week.

The MLB winter meetings end Thursday. I imagine that a major impetus for re-doing the lobby was the MLB booking. There is tremendous free advertising with the MLB Network broadcasting live from there and repeatedly saying that they are at the "beautiful" Swan/ Dolphin Resort.
Enjoy your stay. The new rooms and lobby are very nice.

And just FYI those mlb folks were great. I was worried they might be a bit rowdy but we saw none of that. And they seemed to not make much use of the park busses. Our last bus to MK we were the only passengers. I don’t think I saw any of them on the park busses.

And just FYI those mlb folks were great. I was worried they might be a bit rowdy but we saw none of that. And they seemed to not make much use of the park busses. Our last bus to MK we were the only passengers. I don’t think I saw any of them on the park busses.
They are really there for business and a little partying at the resort. There are a few attendees who brought families along, but not very many. Their big event is an MLB gala tonight at the Dolphin, poolside. If anything, I think the bus loads are down, since so many of the rooms at the Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, and BWI are occupied by event attendees. The Magical Express volume is also way down this week.

When I checked in to Dolphin this morning (9:30), my room was available! I’m staying 5 nights on points and with how full the resort is, I was prepared for a less than desirable view!

I was very happy to get the room as early as I did, but I also got upgraded to a balcony!

I rode the elevator with a man from the Marlins organization who expressed how exhausted he was. But when he said, almost apologetically, that we would have our lobby back tomorrow, I told him we were loving all the activity!

We'll be back at the dolphin for 2 nights in front of a family Christmas trip at Kidani. Checking in late this Friday night. We've tacked on the extra nights primarily to do the CP on Saturday and have some extra time to view boardwalk resorts, world showcase etc...
Looking for room request suggestions. My mom has a scooter, in the past i thought it would be nice to have a ground floor room on the epcot side. Opinions, pros/cons on that? Another option perhaps? Just seems like it takes us forever to even get out of the bulidng.
Also, how does one make requests at the S&D. Since we're getting in so late I'm afraid asking at check in won't be of much help.

I'll give one :)

We used Camp Dolphin for our three girls- 8, 5, 5 this past April. It was fine. Satisfactory; safe. For our children, it lacked a bit in excitement. There were two adults supervising the room- no complaints with them, although they weren't the friendliest people in the world. A lot of the activities seemed to be centered around video games. The space was quite small. Overall, I trust Camp Dolphin and would use them again... but...

We were fortunate enough to also have the kids spend an evening at the Sandcastle Club across the lake on a different night. They loved it, and so did we :) The cast members were very engaged and enthusiastic. There were planned and structured activities. Disney characters stopped by. There was plenty of space. I know you didn't ask for a Sandcastle Club review, but I can't help but compare it to Camp Dolphin since we got to use both during the same week.
You can place your room requests here:
https://www.swandolphin.com/concierge/index2.html

We'll be back at the dolphin for 2 nights in front of a family Christmas trip at Kidani. Checking in late this Friday night. We've tacked on the extra nights primarily to do the CP on Saturday and have some extra time to view boardwalk resorts, world showcase etc...
Looking for room request suggestions. My mom has a scooter, in the past i thought it would be nice to have a ground floor room on the epcot side. Opinions, pros/cons on that? Another option perhaps? Just seems like it takes us forever to even get out of the bulidng.
Also, how does one make requests at the S&D. Since we're getting in so late I'm afraid asking at check in won't be of much help.

Question that may help answer my question :rolleyes1 Do the patio/balcony doors automatically lock? Like if were to leave the room out that door, would patio door be locked?

I'm trying to determine if my travel agents advice is correct or not. I have split stay booked in March, 2 nights at Swan, 3 at AKL. I booked Swan separately and connected to MDE (with help from folks here!) and booked AKL as a room-only booking thru an agent. I'm about to add tickets to the reservation and am trying to decide whether to turn AKL into a package or do tickets separately. I'm most interested in being able to make all of my FP reservations in January.

According to the agent, if she adds tickets to AKL res to make it a package, my FP window will open up starting with my my first night (at Swan). But, I'd only be able to book FPs for the days I'm staying at AKL. The only way that I make FP for the whole time (including the days I'm at the Swan) would be if I get the tickets separately. This is confusing and seems off to me.

Has anyone gotten a room+tix package at a WDW resort, then added Dolphin/Swan nights at either end and extended their ticket to cover it? And been able to book FPs for the whole trip at once? Or do I really have to do the room-only reservation plus separate tickets?

Question that may help answer my question :rolleyes1 Do the patio/balcony doors automatically lock? Like if were to leave the room out that door, would patio door be locked?

No, the doors do not lock automatically in a patio room. Ground floor with a scooter would not be convenient, at least from most areas where they are located. You would need to use an "emergency exit" to leave the floor (unless you are assigned one of the rooms near the pool which does have an exit to the pool area, but there are not many rooms in that area which are ground level). While we were told this is acceptable, there are signs which clearly indicate "emergency exit only". If you adhere to the signs, you would have to ride the elevator to the third floor to be at lobby level. From there you could reach the bus stop, but to reach the causeway or pool, you need to take another elevator down to the ground floor. I think I would prefer the lobby level with a scooter.

No, the doors do not lock automatically in a patio room. Ground floor with a scooter would not be convenient, at least from most areas where they are located. You would need to use an "emergency exit" to leave the floor (unless you are assigned one of the rooms near the pool which does have an exit to the pool area, but there are not many rooms in that area which are ground level). While we were told this is acceptable, there are signs which clearly indicate "emergency exit only". If you adhere to the signs, you would have to ride the elevator to the third floor to be at lobby level. From there you could reach the bus stop, but to reach the causeway or pool, you need to take another elevator down to the ground floor. I think I would prefer the lobby level with a scooter.

Thank you so much, this is what I was needing to know. I appreciate the advice!

I have used a scooter on several trips to S/D. I stay at the Swan, but am very familiar with the Dolphin as well. A scooter at the Dolphin is a pain, not so at the Swan. Dolphin elevators are not friendly, as Tess describes above.

Is there a secret to booking or upgrading to a suite using points? We are currently booked in a standard two queen room at the Swan in March of 2018. We are SPG Gold. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

@hitchRALB Unless you need to include tickets to get a package deal discount, you should look into purchasing your tickets from Under Cover Tourist or Parksavers. Doing that could save you some money.

What are the perks for SPG Platinum at the Dolphin?

Small reduction on the resort fee
They do seem to upgrade as best as they can, subject to availability.

If you choose breakfast as the welcome amenity, it allows for plat + 1 add room occupant to have the cold items and hot cereals from the buffets in Fresh or Garden Grove (May buy up to include full buffet for a small charge).

Is there a secret to booking or upgrading to a suite using points? We are currently booked in a standard two queen room at the Swan in March of 2018. We are SPG Gold. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Online point reservations are only for standard rooms. Call your SPG customer service number to use points for reservations for other room types.

Small reduction on the resort fee
They do seem to upgrade as best as they can, subject to availability.

If you choose breakfast as the welcome amenity, it allows for plat + 1 add room occupant to have the cold items and hot cereals from the buffets in Fresh or Garden Grove (May buy up to include full buffet for a small charge).

Thanks so much!!!

Our experience as SPG Gold members (5 yearsish) is that we have never been upgraded to a higher level suite...just upgraded to better views.

SPG Plat usually are upgraded to a suite at check-in.

We book the Exec. Suite at about 8 months out and then I call SPG whenever I hear of a promotion just to see if the suite price comes down.

As far a using points the last time I think it was 10,000 pts plus $200 p/d...? I think...?

Does anyone know about Marriott points being used here? I thought I remembered reading that they merged with Westin and that maybe I could use my points there.
Also, what are the differences between the Swan and the Dolphin? Do people have strong opinions about one over the other?
My DD and I are thinking of planning a mother daughter trip there in the next couple of years. Thanks in advance for any info and opinions!

Does anyone know about Marriott points being used here? I thought I remembered reading that they merged with Westin and that maybe I could use my points there.
Also, what are the differences between the Swan and the Dolphin? Do people have strong opinions about one over the other?
My DD and I are thinking of planning a mother daughter trip there in the next couple of years. Thanks in advance for any info and opinions!
Marriott points can be converted to SPG points (which can be used for Swan/Dolphin). Create an SPG account then look for "Link Now" Once linked you can easily convert Marriott to SPG points or vice versa. The rate is 3 Marriott points to 1 Starpoint. You can use Starpoints (SPG Points) to book hotels but they also transfer to numerous airlines as well. Dolphin is usually 10k points per night, Swan 12-16k per night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!