Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

@Aimeedyan Thanks for the info - now I’m really torn! Originally I wanted a low floor room, close to exit to pool. Are you in the side “arm” near the pool since you mentioned using the stairs for the pool? Then I thought a higher floor would be quieter, but the elevator situation sounds annoying. Strange how several other people there now say you can’t go up the stairs. If access changes, could you please update? Thanks!

We were on the west wing; I could see part of the lap pool and Garden Grove from my room. Our floor was very quiet but half the hall were named rooms so I'm not sure what they were. There was a huge suite at the end and then most of the rooms had names and not numbers. We didn't pass a single person in the hall or elevator lobby the entire time. I could hear lots of movement upstairs. Our room was smaller than previous stays, it seemed, but it was fine for us.

The elevator leaving yesterday morning was a huge issue, but not one unlike other hotels right now IMO (I know Contemporary tower has had issues, too). We waited a good 15 minutes before jumping on one going up and then riding it down (they seemed to go up first and then stop to collect people coming down so once it got to 2, it was full). Since we were checking out, we had luggage + baby + pack n play + stroller so couldn't easily take the stairs. Don't think I didn't put some real thought into tossing the stuff down the stairs ;)

It stopped at every floor and so many people were waiting. I invited a family of 2 to jump in if they were comfortable - at that point, we would be sharing the same air for less than 30 seconds so very low risk. They took me up on it and rode down with us.

I should have seen the issue coming and left much earlier. The line to get out of the parking lot was long, too, so we were late to our breakfast reservation but the restaurant was running super late, too, so it all worked out.

Just pack your patience :)

Il Mulino does take TIW for those wondering! Not sure about Kimonos, but the TIW website is up to date so you can check there :)

And buses to Epcot and HS are Mears buses. One Mears bus covers both or at least it did in our experience. We got on for Epcot but the driver told us she needed to stop at HS first then Epcot. It was still only a 10-12 minute ride.

When you have a chance would you mind posting a little about how the Il Mulino take out menu? I was hoping they’d do something like this - I love their food but we aren’t comfortable eating inside restaurants. My questions are how do you order, where do you wait, is the full menu available, etc.
Full menu is available. Tell the hostess you want to place a take out order. You order and pay at the bar. You can then wait seated at the bar or in the lobby. People were even eating in the lobby area after ordering... not sure that’s a great idea, but your call!

The lounge was very spaced out and quiet so we ate in there instead of doing take out and felt very safe. Food was great!

We were on the west wing; I could see part of the lap pool and Garden Grove from my room. Our floor was very quiet but half the hall were named rooms so I'm not sure what they were. There was a huge suite at the end and then most of the rooms had names and not numbers. We didn't pass a single person in the hall or elevator lobby the entire time. I could hear lots of movement upstairs. Our room was smaller than previous stays, it seemed, but it was fine for us.

The elevator leaving yesterday morning was a huge issue, but not one unlike other hotels right now IMO (I know Contemporary tower has had issues, too). We waited a good 15 minutes before jumping on one going up and then riding it down (they seemed to go up first and then stop to collect people coming down so once it got to 2, it was full). Since we were checking out, we had luggage + baby + pack n play + stroller so couldn't easily take the stairs. Don't think I didn't put some real thought into tossing the stuff down the stairs ;)

It stopped at every floor and so many people were waiting. I invited a family of 2 to jump in if they were comfortable - at that point, we would be sharing the same air for less than 30 seconds so very low risk. They took me up on it and rode down with us.

I should have seen the issue coming and left much earlier. The line to get out of the parking lot was long, too, so we were late to our breakfast reservation but the restaurant was running super late, too, so it all worked out.

Yeah anyone checking into any hotel with elevators might want to request first floor rooms. Brutal that there’s no stair access. That being said we’ve taken the stairs down twice now because waiting for elevators isn’t fun when you’re trying to make rope drop or a reservation or whatever.

We had TWO parties just rush onto an elevator we were in and couldn’t believe it. There are signs everywhere saying one party per elevator. We kind of froze up but should have said something.

Yeah anyone checking into any hotel with elevators might want to request first floor rooms. Brutal that there’s no stair access. That being said we’ve taken the stairs down twice now because waiting for elevators isn’t fun when you’re trying to make rope drop or a reservation or whatever.

We had TWO parties just rush onto an elevator we were in and couldn’t believe it. There are signs everywhere saying one party per elevator. We kind of froze up but should have said something.

Definitely speak up! Your health is at risk otherwise. “Sorry - you’ll have to wait for the next elevator”. ;)

@Aimeedyan
Thanks so much for all the info! You have convinced me to update my room request from upper floor to the 2nd floor in West wing, sounds less stressful with the elevator situation. Are you finding that the stairs to go up are still open in the west wing?

Do you know what the room numbers around you are so I can give an example of a block of rooms in my request? (I’m thinking: “West wing, 2nd floor, western view, examples room # 2xx-2xx”). Also, you mentioned lots of movement upstairs - is that just when you’re in the hallway, or can you hear your upstairs neighbors? Thanks again for the excellent reporting 😊

Definitely speak up! Your health is at risk otherwise. “Sorry - you’ll have to wait for the next elevator”. ;)
It opened and they sort of busted right in, then the door was closing. Not like there was a lot of time! But we’ve made sure to stand at the front since then so there’s no room to pile on. If you invite someone in I understand but you can’t just hop in without regard like these people did.

The hotel is still pretty busy but has calmed down a lot today. Dinner at Kimono last night was good. The restaurant was full but there seemed to be pretty consistent turnaround so there was never a line of people waiting. The elevators are better today but we’ve also had someone get on with us. I didn’t mind, and every other time we have ridden people have been good about waiting for their own elevator.

When you have a chance would you mind posting a little about how the Il Mulino take out menu? I was hoping they’d do something like this - I love their food but we aren’t comfortable eating inside restaurants. My questions are how do you order, where do you wait, is the full menu available, etc.
The menu is pretty extensive for their to go option. There were a number of appetizers, entrees, pizzas, etc. Could have been pretty close the their full menu But not sure, There is a table right next to the entrance of the restaurant and adjacent to that a person standing there taking your order. They ring you up and pay right there and they call your name when your food is ready. Lobby was pretty packed when I was there and since it was Saturday night a number of people where waiting for tables so it was a bit crowded. Everything came labeled and how our name on it, Pretty good system didn’t wait but 15 minutes but we just ordered a pizza and a salad so I don’t know if it would be longer for entrees.

Last edited:
The rooms that had names were meeting rooms. You were lucky that there were no conferences/conventions, at the time, as the activity can start quite early in the morning, with working breakfast meetings; that can create a lot of noise in the corridors.

I believe most of the meeting rooms are named after birds.

The rooms that had names were meeting rooms. You were lucky that there were no conferences/conventions, at the time, as the activity can start quite early in the morning, with working breakfast meetings; that can create a lot of noise in the corridors.

Interesting - I’m assuming there are no conferences scheduled any time soon due to covid?

Yup! All birds! That makes total sense, and I am glad they aren't hosting anything right now as that sounds unpleasant! Though we have a 9 month old and are up early anyways... Interesting that they have meeting rooms on the same hall with guest rooms.

@Aimeedyan
Thanks so much for all the info! You have convinced me to update my room request from upper floor to the 2nd floor in West wing, sounds less stressful with the elevator situation. Are you finding that the stairs to go up are still open in the west wing?

Do you know what the room numbers around you are so I can give an example of a block of rooms in my request? (I’m thinking: “West wing, 2nd floor, western view, examples room # 2xx-2xx”). Also, you mentioned lots of movement upstairs - is that just when you’re in the hallway, or can you hear your upstairs neighbors? Thanks again for the excellent reporting 😊

We only stayed the weekend and the stairs were open the entire time but I am not sure how they are now. If they are smart, they will keep them accessible at least during the day. I can't remember our room number to save my life. But as previously mentioned, it was on the hall with the meeting rooms (I think we were the first room after the bird name rooms ended).

I would hear movement above us from our room but nothing major - just a reminder how full the hotel was. Definitely not the same noise that you'd find at the values or anything :)

We only stayed the weekend and the stairs were open the entire time but I am not sure how they are now. If they are smart, they will keep them accessible at least during the day. I can't remember our room number to save my life. But as previously mentioned, it was on the hall with the meeting rooms (I think we were the first room after the bird name rooms ended).

I would hear movement above us from our room but nothing major - just a reminder how full the hotel was. Definitely not the same noise that you'd find at the values or anything :)
Thanks again for the info! Oh yeah, the noise above and next door at The values is wild - we always request top floor, no connecting door after experiencing those thin walls! Ugh, hearing people’s bathroom noises is just too much! 😂

If S&D is doing any enhanced cleaning they aren’t making it known like wdw resorts are. No remotes in bags marked clean for instance. We tried to call guest services multiple times over our four night stay for information and never once got through despite sitting on hold up to 20 minutes.

If you take a bus to HS or Epcot make sure to note where it drops you as it’s in the charter bus area and not marked.

Service right now isn't great IMO but YMMV, and I hope it does! Might be a while before we book there again. Just felt more comfortable at the Disney resorts.

Other tips: Splash is the only pool bar open and its kind of a walk from there to the grotto pool. Buy drinks on your way to avoid walking back and forth. I didn’t notice any servers at the grotto pool.

Chill had a great deal going, 6 pack of Phins & Feathers for $15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter