Wand exchange

smile145

Mouseketeer
Do they still accept old wands and exchange for an interactive one? Do I need a receipt?

Do you mean if it is broken? I think they have a wand repair shop and they will fix them for free. I've heard if they can't fix it they will give you a new one, but I am not sure

No I mean I believe they used to exchange wands purchased prior to when interactive ones were available for ones that have the interactive capability.

Do you mean if it is broken? I think they have a wand repair shop and they will fix them for free. I've heard if they can't fix it they will give you a new one, but I am not sure

Interesting. A quick question about this... My husband broke my wand as soon as we got home! I had no idea about a repair shop!!! Do I need a receipt?

Definitely didn't need a receipt last year. My daughter who breaks everything she touches smashed the sensor on her wand. We went right into the store and had it replaced, no questions asked.

Here's a great pic I took of DD with her broken wand in front of the shop :)

upload_2018-3-18_20-35-35.png

No I mean I believe they used to exchange wands purchased prior to when interactive ones were available for ones that have the interactive capability.

I’ve never heard of this. They still sell the non interactive ones, because not all people want interactive.

I’ve never heard of this. They still sell the non interactive ones, because not all people want interactive.

Funny, I also have experience with that situation. We had an old non-interactive wand, and 2 years ago we brought it to the huge merch store at the front of one of the parks (I believe US), and asked if they would exchange it for an interactive one. They allowed me to do so by paying the difference in price between the interactive wand and the non-interactive wand (I believe the difference was about $10).

Wait, so they actually repair the broken wands? My son broke his first one that his granny bought for him and he's felt really bad about it. Do we just take it in?

finitely didn't need a receipt last year. My daughter who breaks everything she touches smashed the sensor on her wand. We went right into the store and had it replaced, no questions asked.

Here's a great pic I took of DD with her broken wand in front of the shop

The last time we were at Universal was three years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if my son's interactive wand needed a "tune up." Could you tell me where to get it repaired? Do they do the repairs at Ollivander's wand shop in both IOA and US, or only one? In a certain part of the store?

It was at the wand shops in one of the HP areas. I really don't think it matters, I'm pretty sure they have an inventory of every wand in both shops.

By "repair" they actually meant replace, at least for us. My daughter got a brand new wand, except they don't give you the box and map again, if I recall correctly.

If you have an interactive wand that you bought in the park (they are very specific wands you can't get anywhere else), they will "fix" it for you by giving you a new wand. Happened to us in 2016. Now I've never heard of them taking a non-interactive wand and giving you an interactive one for free. You might have to pay the difference. We just walked up to the wand cart in Diagon Alley and they "fixed" both for us.

We attempted to get a wand repaired 2 weeks ago in Hogsmeade. It's done at the Owlery. Unfortunately, they were really busy. There was only 1 clerk working, and she couldn't leave her post to take it to the back. DS just used my wand. We will fix his next trip. His doesn't look broken, but we couldn't get it to work when mine would work fine. His has worked earlier on the trip. I don't recall him dropping it, but he was carrying it around and poking it at things.

Both of my sons needed their wands replaced in the two days they used them. I think the interactive wands are pretty delicate and don't last very long. Although the Ollivander's employees tell you it's "repaired," it's clearly just switched out for another one. While I was grateful not to have to wait around for a long repair job, it did kind of kill a little bit of the magic when my son realized it wasn't "his" wand he got at the sorting ceremony (his had a little knick in the handle and the "repaired" one did not). I'm sure replacement is more cost efficient for them than having trained people who can actually repair them.

Both of my sons needed their wands replaced in the two days they used them. I think the interactive wands are pretty delicate and don't last very long. Although the Ollivander's employees tell you it's "repaired," it's clearly just switched out for another one. While I was grateful not to have to wait around for a long repair job, it did kind of kill a little bit of the magic when my son realized it wasn't "his" wand he got at the sorting ceremony (his had a little knick in the handle and the "repaired" one did not). I'm sure replacement is more cost efficient for them than having trained people who can actually repair them.
I would expect a magical fix to a magical wand to repair all problems including chips and scratches. That's how magic works.

My wand can only be repaired with the magic of gorilla glue or duct tape... neither of my preference.
It broke in half. It is non-interactive. Hopefully they will just replace it? I still have it in the box.

We have a wand originally bought in Orlando which has been "magically repaired" (replaced) twice in Hollywood. Once the sensor wasn't working and once it was stepped on and broken in half. Both time my son just asked a team member if it could be repaired and the TM took it into the back and returned with a new one, no box or receipt needed. We're taking it back to Orlando in 3 weeks and hopefully won't have to have it repaired again!

So are the wands only exchangable for the identical one? I'd guess that's the case, but I'm wondering... My daughter got one for Christmas (the Harry Potter one) from family members that had gone to Universal that year. But if she were to get chosen in Ollivander's is there any chance I could trade in the one she already has for the one that chooses her? Not even sure if she'd give up Harry's wand anyway, but I'm curious if that's an option. I really don't want to spend an additional $50 if she is chosen by a wand when she already has an interactive one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!