water park? belongings?

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
If I rent a "space" at TL I am curious what people do with personal belongs such as phone, wallet and anything else while walking the park to go on the slides/rides

Cabanas include a locker, but I don't think umbrellas do
I try to take as little as possible, but I rent a locker to hold anything I don't take into the water.
With lockers you set your own PIN, so you don't have to worry about keys.
I would use charging to my Magic band or a Disney gift card, and not bring a wallet (may also need an iD for adult drinks)

They have lockers if you're worried about your stuff. We don't bring anything of value in (my cell phone was free, it's cheap and old), so we just leave our stuff in our towels. Been to the parks dozens of times and never had our stuff touched. Not saying you should do that, but you can.

FYI...if you don't want to spend money on cabanas, you can find shaded chairs for free, anytime of the day.

I put my iphone in waterproof pouch around my neck and wore my magic band.
Left wallet at home.
Everything else in my bag wasn't valuable.

Cabanas include a locker, but I don't think umbrellas do
I try to take as little as possible, but I rent a locker to hold anything I don't take into the water.
With lockers you set your own PIN, so you don't have to worry about keys.
I would use charging to my Magic band or a Disney gift card, and not bring a wallet (may also need an iD for adult drinks)

To charge to a Magicband, need I only put a credit card into my MDE or do I also have to be an on-site guest?

It was several years ago but I refer to it as the day my pixie dust was stolen:

Went to one of the water parks - can't remember which on but think it was TL. DH put his phone under his towel on his chair. I left my phone, camera and about $20 in my duffel bag on the chair.

We got back from swimming and my bag was gone (DH's phone was never touched). A frantic search and reports to cast members and it was discovered that several people had fallen victim. I personally became aware of 6 others. The perpetrators had cleaned out my valuables and then dumped my bag in a men's locker room trash can. DH found another victim's bag in the towel return bin. I believe some never found their bags.

Of course, DH berated me for being so stupid but that is another tale for another day. I wasn't the dumbest victim, though. One poor soul had been taken for his car keys, cell phone, passport and $600 cash.

My cash and camera were never found but about six months later, a member of some investigative division of Disney security contacted me and my phone was returned. I never got from him where they found it.

Lessoned learned: RENT A LOCKER!!

I rent a locker. To me, it's a very inexpensive form of insurance. I do bring the bare minimum to the water park (cell phone, a spare credit card in case magic band charging is down), $20, an ID, and a towel and coverup but I'd still prefer to stash that in a locker.

It was several years ago but I refer to it as the day my pixie dust was stolen:

Went to one of the water parks - can't remember which on but think it was TL. DH put his phone under his towel on his chair. I left my phone, camera and about $20 in my duffel bag on the chair.

We got back from swimming and my bag was gone (DH's phone was never touched). A frantic search and reports to cast members and it was discovered that several people had fallen victim. I personally became aware of 6 others. The perpetrators had cleaned out my valuables and then dumped my bag in a men's locker room trash can. DH found another victim's bag in the towel return bin. I believe some never found their bags.

Of course, DH berated me for being so stupid but that is another tale for another day. I wasn't the dumbest victim, though. One poor soul had been taken for his car keys, cell phone, passport and $600 cash.

My cash and camera were never found but about six months later, a member of some investigative division of Disney security contacted me and my phone was returned. I never got from him where they found it.

Lessoned learned: RENT A LOCKER!!

There are some unsavory people walking around Disney, that's for sure. However, as I mentioned, for us, we don't bring anything of value into the water parks. My bag will contain some sunscreen, my stinky clothes, and that's about it. Want it? Enjoy.

The most valuable thing I would leave unattended would be a can of sunscreen in my beach bag. If you need to bring anything more valuable into the park, the $10 locker rental fee is definitely worth it for peace of mind.

There are some unsavory people walking around Disney, that's for sure. However, as I mentioned, for us, we don't bring anything of value into the water parks. My bag will contain some sunscreen, my stinky clothes, and that's about it. Want it? Enjoy.

I guess my mind set was who is going to spend $100 bucks to get into the park just to steal. Then I did the math. Thanks to people like me, that is a pretty good return on the investment.

DD and I got a chair with umbrellas at BB earlier this month.
We didn't really need/use it but I got one any way.
I kept my phone with me in a waterproof lanyard.
I brought a bag with me and just left it there with our towels that came along with the chair rental. I had it sort of behind the chair, not right out in the open.
I am accused by many of being too trusting but you know what, no one touched our stuff or my bag. Had they, I would have cancelled the 1 card I brought to back up my MB because everyone always says you need a back up, even though in triple digits number of days in the parks I've never needed back up. It would have been a PITA but not the end of the world. But, everything was fine. I know everyone else isn't as laid back about things as I am though.

If I rent a "space" at TL I am curious what people do with personal belongs such as phone, wallet and anything else while walking the park to go on the slides/rides
They have lockers you can rent for that. You could wear your phone & cards on a waterproof lanyard, but personally, I don't like that digging into my neck as we explore the parks.

I never used to rent a locker and just left my phone, car keys, and small amount of cash in my beach bag. Then, one trip, we returned to our chairs and our towels, clothes, bag, etc. weren't there. And someone else's stuff was. I looked around and found our stuff in a pile in the bushes nearby. Everything was still there, so it was clearly just people taking over our chairs, not looking to steal, but that was the eye-opener for me: I've rented a locker ever since. Keys, wallet, phones go in there and I only bring towels, snacks, sunscreen and a magazine to wherever we settle for the day.

I guess my mind set was who is going to spend $100 bucks to get into the park just to steal. Then I did the math. Thanks to people like me, that is a pretty good return on the investment.

A water park annual pass is something like $125. If a criminal goes an average of once per week (alternating parks), that costs them under $3 per visit. If they hit even a half dozen people per visit their "return on investment" is pretty good.

DD and I got a chair with umbrellas at BB earlier this month.
We didn't really need/use it but I got one any way.
I kept my phone with me in a waterproof lanyard.
I brought a bag with me and just left it there with our towels that came along with the chair rental. I had it sort of behind the chair, not right out in the open.

We do the same thing. This is one of the reasons we rent an umbrella each time we go to the water parks. Some of the areas are roped off and checked often for wristbands; if you don't have one, the CM will direct you to leave. We felt safe leaving our belongings there. (Maybe I shouldn't have)

We don't rent anything, but I am the pack mule, as I don't go on anything at the water parks. I carry all of our valuables, but I leave our shoes and pool bag with towels and the shirts worn into the park at a lounger. I was not happy to learn that my husband had left his prescription glasses sitting on the chair. It would have been a nightmare to replace them had they been lost, stolen, or broken. They should go with the valuables in my opinion. I think our stuff has never been messed with, but it has been moved -- not the bushes, just to another chair.

We survived in the water parks just fine without our cell phones.

We drove to the water parks, so we left even our towels cover-ups, and sunscreen in the car. If OP is offsite, they could do the same. Truly though, with FL heat, we didn't need towels. Our suits were 90% dry by the time we walked the short distance to our car.

The only thing we carried was our car key. A waterproof pouch was very helpful. If you can find a men's bathing suit with a built-in pouch - SUPER!

We took a chance that our shoes wouldn't get stolen. IMO going barefoot is the worst part of the water parks. Good to do them towards the end of your trip because the concrete does a number on them!

If you have to leave a valuable, then renting a locker makes sense. I don't mind the $10 fee so much as waiting in line to rent a locker. We were happy to skip that whole area!

The bad guys have annual passes and have it down to a science. Was there for whole police report of girl who's hobo purse got picked in Pecos Bill line. Got impression this was just one more report of many security wrote up.

Leave nothing of value unattended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter