Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

Sounds like that magical night at HS was just what you needed to turn your day around!

I can't believe people were that grumpy after a few minutes of sitting :confused3 . Glad you were rewarded with Fps though!

Can't wait to hear what you guys thought of the VAH. What an awesome last minute decision.

Long time no catch up! Hope all is well over in England and you are surving these CRAZY times!

This was a special day at Disney for my family. The morning and afternoon started off pretty bad, actually. I woke up tired and in a rotten mood. I couldn’t shake the previous night’s fiasco and was getting sick of our room at Shades. Nine nights sounded good in theory, but it seemed as if vacation had dragged on too long.

Alex ran over to the Polynesian and grabbed us lunch from Captain Cook’s. He made it back just in time, because a massive storm rolled through the area and pounded us with rain. Nobody wanted to go out in that, so the kids spent most of the day watching Disney Junior while I lamented to Alex that I must’ve been broken.

Who gets sick of Disney?!?

UGH i could see this 9 days is a long time, but i am the same always book a LONG trip.. but int he moment i think 7 days is probably my max.

I was tired.

I had just spent all of March and April preparing for our move, and May was a blur of packers and temporary lodging and saying goodbyes. We didn’t have a home, all our belongings were on a truck, and I’d been “traveling” for close to three weeks by that point. On top of all that, I was dealing with emotions of leaving an amazing community and getting ready to set forth into an entirely new country.

The stress and work had caught up with me.

UGh that is some stress girl!

I have definitely learned never to plan our travel in between moves ever again. Huge lesson learned there.

YEah this sounds like a good rule!!

And then came back with a huge grin on his face.

“It wasn’t a problem at all.”

“Wait, what?”

“We’re going to the party.”

:cloud9:

YAHOOOOO GO ALEX!

Looks like a great afternoon at HS! I mean all Toy Story rides! cant really beat that !

Loved this chapter of your TR. I can understand your feelings after a not so fun night. Totally get how tired you must have been - physically as well as mentally. Maybe what you all needed at that point was a quiet rainy day at the resort. Love how your evening plans worked out! Can't wait to read about the villains event. I think you got your mojo back!

Planning a massive Disney trip in the middle of a move was not one of my brighter ideas. I think I forgot how sometimes, you need a vacation after a Disney vacation!

You certainly had the most magical experiences after being so tired out and overwhelmed. Disney definitely was doing it's best to keep you.

Evie's line "I'm trying it but I don't like it!"😂😂 Best ever!!

I loved Evie's resonse to SDD! She was so proud she tried it but oh so upset by the coaster.

Nice! It's always great to do something spontaneous!

Oh poor Evie!

LOL! But I'm proud she tried!

Nice! And I think you made good use of those FPs!

I think she might grow to like SDD as she gets older. But I doubt she'll ever be a huge coaster fan. Thrills are not her idea of fun.

Disney Magic at it’s best right there! Love it and looking forward to hear what you think of the after hours event :goodvibes

Sometimes, just a nice evening in the parks is all you need to turn an attitude around. I'm very glad it was such a special night.

What a great evening. The Disney magic happens!
How fun to get all the TSL rides in in a short amount of time.
We did 10 nights in January and it went by so fast. I did like the leisurely pace we adopted for the trip. The resort evenings at Destino Tower were very nice.
Excited to hear about your Villians After hours. Sounds like fine! We were suppose to do one in March.

We felt so lucky to be able to go on all the TSL in one night!
I think I will enjoy the longer Disney trips when the kids are a little older. (And when I'm not in the middle of moving!) Having to come up with ways to keep them entertained, prep their food, tie shoes, etc became exhausting. I look forward to when they are more independent and can keep up with Alex's commando touring style!

Considering everything that had been going on around your trip, no wonder you were tired!

I'm so happy that everything turned around for the better that afternoon. What wonderful good luck to get two anytime Fastpasses (and my goodness, Landon is getting REALLY good at TSMM!) and I can't wait to hear about Villians After Hours!

We couldn't believe how fortunate we were to get all the attractions at TSL accomplished. It felt like a gift!

You were dealing with a lot of stress, so it makes sense you were worn out!

I'm glad Alex took the initiative to buy the After hours tickets!!

Getting stuck at the end of SDD definitely sounds worth it for 2 extra FPs!!

It turned out to be a great day for you all- just what you needed!

This was, I'm pretty sure, all four of our's favorite day. Just so many magical moments packed into one evening.

Dang girl you handled it like a champ, though! I can't imagine going through all of that at one time.

I will certainly never handle a move like that again. I learned my lesson! Complete the move first, then jet off to Disney to celebrate. :rotfl:

15 minutes of boredom for 2 rides with no wait?? What a deal.

Completely worth it!

Such a shame that our summer is toast. :( But glad you are all healthy and well.

It has been very strange not taking a vacation this summer. But the kids have gotten ample opportunity to explore our local area and create games from their imagination. Finding the silver lining through it all...

You always have such a cheery outlook. I might have been tempted to get mad on a stallled out ride too, but you took it in stride and made the best of it.

Being a military spouse for so many years, I've learned to become really great at flexibility. Just have to let things happen as they will and accept whatever comes my way.

What a wonderful way to end you time in TSL! I'm sorry Evie only liked 2 out of the 3. Maybe SDD will grow on her.

Can't wait to read about you Villains Party. Danielle went to one while there for her very short DCP and really liked it.

I think I can get SDD to grow on her as she gets older. However, I doubt she will ever be a huge thrill ride fan. She's gonna be the one dragging us to the stores or sitting out by the pool.
I'm so glad to hear Danielle got to do a Villains Party during her CP! It's those kind of experiences she's got to focus on versus the time being cut short.

Sounds like that magical night at HS was just what you needed to turn your day around!

I can't believe people were that grumpy after a few minutes of sitting :confused3 . Glad you were rewarded with Fps though!

Can't wait to hear what you guys thought of the VAH. What an awesome last minute decision.

The day certainly took a complete turnaround! It's funny how one evening can shift your mood.
I'm so glad we were spontaneous and went to the After Party. I think if we hadn't done it, I would be sitting here a year later regretting it. And, really, with no summer vacation this year, that one time splurge isn't important anymore.
A great reminder to me to live in the moment more.

Long time no catch up! Hope all is well over in England and you are surving these CRAZY times!

Hi! I have been M.I.A. from the boards this summer. With the kids home and everything else, something had to give! But I'm happy to be back.

UGH i could see this 9 days is a long time, but i am the same always book a LONG trip.. but int he moment i think 7 days is probably my max.

7 days is probably my max, too. Unless maybe if I switched resorts. I think that could help keep the trip fresh. And/or visiting another theme park. Guess I'll just have to test that theory out one day and see. :rotfl:

June 13th 2019 Part 3:

Before heading into the MK, Alex drove us to Shades so I could hop out of the car and run back to the room. I wanted to swap my shorts for something comfier (I was about to get some major park touring in, I needed athletic gear) and grab some more motion sickness medicine for the adults.
The minor detour didn’t slow us down, though. We were at the tapstiles and then through the entrance in no time. Happily Ever After was about to begin, but the crowds weren’t too bad around the hub. Almost the exact opposite of earlier days, when the Magic Kingdom was packed full. My best guess was most people were trying to beat the wave and leave early, or they chose a different park all together due to the party.

Regardless, the park looked beautiful all lit up and ready for the nightlife:

I had to torture the kids and their big ride plans by making them stop for a PP photo:

It was here that I started to notice a completely different atmosphere all around us. The Cast Members were friendly, chatty. Our fellow guests were laughing, joking around with one another.

This really was a party!

And just like that, Alex and I felt like we were back in the beginning days of our Disney trips. Where the MK stayed open until 3 a.m. for Extra Magic Hours and the streets were a ghostown. Where we walked from land to land feeling like we were a part of the magic, a part of the park itself.

The Villains party was giving us a taste of that magic.

And man oh man, did it make Alex and I so happy.

Earlier in the night, we promised Evie we would go on an attraction of her choosing first, and she picked Under the Sea. Away to Fantasyland we went, admiring all the wall projections along the way:

And posters:

Following our visit with Ariel, we strolled over to Dumbo and went for a flying spin in the famous elephant. Nothing beats a nighttime ride on that, am I right? I love seeing Cinderella’s Castle and Beast’s Castle lit up in the dark.

Continuing on, we passed by the carousel and saw a Magic Shot location set up. We had never done one of them before and thought, “Why not? Let’s give it a shot.”
Landon loved the idea and therefore we all really embraced the act:

Pictures and slow rides were nice, but we were in the park with low waits! We needed to take advantage of the coasters!

On the way to Frontierland, Malificent’s Dragon made her way down the streets and the four of us were able to stop and watch the show. There were a handful of other guests around us, but otherwise we had the sidewalk to ourselves. Which on one hand, made it extra cool to see the creepy effects. On the other, it definitely freaked Evie out a little. Combining the dark music with the fire and the vine people who would literally get up in people’s faces was a tad too much for my girl.

I had to take her to a quiet corner and let her decompress for a minute or two.

Landon had never been on Splash Mountain before, and since I took him on BTMRR his first time, I let Alex share the experience with him.

*Side note: I can’t tell you how happy I am that Evie’s 40 inches now and there will be less splitting up on rides!*

The attraction was walk-on, but even so the boys were gone a good fifteen/twenty minutes. Evie and I passed the time sitting around and talking. The longer we sat there, the more animated she became, and it was then I realized something. Something fairly important.

It wasn’t Disney Evie disliked.

It was the crowds.

::yes::

There, without a bunch of people milling about, with the air quiet enough to hear the old timey music piped through hidden speakers, Evie was having a blast. It was the happiest I had ever seen her in the parks.

“Hey Evie?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you glad there’s not a lot of people around?”

“Oh yes!”

It was a little bit of relief to finally have figured that out. Now I know I need to work Evie’s Disney experience around quieter times and less populated attractions. Christmas week, Galaxy’s Edge in the middle of the day, center seat at Fantasmic!....all things I now know to steer clear of with Evie.

Landon thrives in social settings, builds off others’ energy. Whereas, Evie needs space and room to hear her own thoughts. How funny that I have two kids and both are exact opposites in that respect.

As far as Splash Mountain goes, Landon said he had fun and would go on it again, but Space Mountain still claimed his favorite coaster spot.

That’s fine, son. But now it was time for me to take him on MY favorite.

Thunder Mountain!

Continued in Next Post:

Continued from Previous Post

Our ride on Big Thunder Mountain was quick. So quick that I returned to Alex and Evie and suggested Alex take Landon for a second spin. Then, once they were back, I went again. (Alone, this time.) I timed it on my phone and from passing under the entrance to exiting by the geyser, eight minutes had passed.

How incredible is that?!!?

If I was at the party alone, I would have just gone on Thunder over and over again. One day I want to see how many times I can go on it in one day. (And I better do it in the next few years, because every year that passes, my tolerance for coasters dips further and further. A spry chicken I am not, anymore!)

Pirates of the Caribbean had live actors set up for the party, and after grabbing a couple waters and sodas from a snack stand we all headed to check them out. I thought the actors in the queue were great, and I saw the wheels turning in Landon’s head as he listened to them call out: “Oh, look, we have two little pirates in training!” My kid would have loved nothing more than to stand there and egg the pirate on, but fortunately we couldn’t allow that.

We led them to a boat and loaded with an awesome family behind us. They were decked out in costumes and from the way they laughed and cheered at the live pirate they were having a great time. I love running into other huge Disney fans in the park, the ones that know their happiness elevates everyone else’s park experience. Brings a smile to my face and a sense of optimism to my heart. As long we continue to visit the parks, embrace the magic, and shine our joy the parks will be an amazing place of escapism.

Back on the streets of Adventureland, I stopped us for a regular PP picture:

And then a Magic Shot!

The family in line in front of us shouted out, “Scar is stealing your Mickey ice cream bar!” and had their preteen kids make an angry face. And as they gathered their stuff to leave, they said to us, “All right, you gotta beat that.”

We didn’t measure up to their acting abilities, but we had fun nonetheless.

And simply enjoyed the fact that other guests were embracing the party atmosphere. I swear we must have smiled the entire night long.

By this time in the night, it was nearing eleven o’clock, and the kids were showing their first signs of slowing. Alex and I refused to leave, though, before Landon got his second ride on Space Mountain.

We crossed the hub, and I tried to get yet another PP shot. The kids refused, so I said, “Fine. Mom and Dad will take a photo without you.”

Then we sauntered into Tomorrowland. Alex and Landon got in the longest line of the night- it was a twenty minute wait – while Evie and I did what we did best. Hung out and relaxed. Even saw some fireworks from the stage show:

Evie’s not a fan of ice cream; she’s got a mild dairy intolerance and cold things hurt her teeth, but she agreed to share a few bites of a Mickey bar with me.

There’s something about a Mickey bar in the MK that’s special, isn’t there? I never buy them anymore, because for five dollars there’s much more elaborate and unique treats I can buy. But since the ice cream was free with the party, I really enjoyed indulging in one again. So quintessential Disney, and something special I got to share with my daughter.

Shortly after the boys returned to us, the party was drawing to a close. It was time to head out.

Along the bridge back to the hub I spotted Cloe, a former DISboard member, and I stopped to say hello.

I love DISmeets! And Cloe and her husband Dan were so sweet. She listened to Landon talk about going on Space Mountain for the first time this trip, and she didn’t get offended when Evie just sat in her stroller and mean mugged her. I remember that this was their arrival day, and I marveled at how they could still be up and moving after a long travel day. That takes commitment!
We parted ways and continued on our way to the exit of the park, where the villains were standing at the train station saying goodbye.

Back in the Shades parking lot, I stumbled upon this special parking spot and was reminded what a gift this resort is for so many families:

I love Shades and cannot wait to stay there again one day.

The Villains party was a huge splurge, a very expensive spur of the moment decision, but looking back we are all so glad we did it. All four of us agree it was our favorite part of the trip. In less than fours, we rode a total of 8 rides, took 5 Photopass photos, picked up 2 sodas and 2 bottles of water, ate 1 Mickey ice cream bar, and 1 container of popcorn. It was absolutely fantastic and the After Hours events are now a must do for me.

Up Next…We Just Came to Eat the Snacks

Glad the party was such a success for you all! Interesting that you have one introvert and one extrovert.....it's awesome that you are so tuned in to what makes them tick and know how to meet their needs. So much of successful parenting is understanding where your children are at. As for your comment that you are not a spry chicken anymore.......no way! You are a practically still a baby even though you are a proud wife and mama! Just wait til you are doing a 4 parks/1 day trek in your fifties like me.......we only age when we slow down. :)

Oh Alicia I’ve loved reading about your after hours party! So glad you all got to experience magic kingdom at its best! Your photos made me smile no end! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you all had a blast at VAH!! And that you came to the realization that Evie DOES like Disney! What a fun night!

Nothing beats a nighttime ride on that, am I right?
Nope, nothing!

*Side note: I can’t tell you how happy I am that Evie’s 40 inches now and there will be less splitting up on rides!*
Woohoo for growing! That will be so nice on future trips.

It was a little bit of relief to finally have figured that out. Now I know I need to work Evie’s Disney experience around quieter times and less populated attractions. Christmas week, Galaxy’s Edge in the middle of the day, center seat at Fantasmic!....all things I now know to steer clear of with Evie.
Holy epiphany, Batman! I bet that's going to make things a lot better.

I timed it on my phone and from passing under the entrance to exiting by the geyser, eight minutes had passed.

How incredible is that?!!?
Wow that's amazing, gotta love party nights.

One day I want to see how many times I can go on it in one day.
Please do and report back. That sounds like the most amazing day.

I love running into other huge Disney fans in the park, the ones that know their happiness elevates everyone else’s park experience. Brings a smile to my face and a sense of optimism to my heart. As long we continue to visit the parks, embrace the magic, and shine our joy the parks will be an amazing place of escapism.
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

There’s something about a Mickey bar in the MK that’s special, isn’t there?
100%. We've been buying them since they came out in local stores but they still don't taste the same without that Main Street loop playing in the background.

Along the bridge back to the hub I spotted Cloe, a former DISboard member, and I stopped to say hello.
Whoa cool, I had no idea you saw each other that night!

That's great that you now know how to approach the parks with Evie! And that you had such a fun time!

Thanks for the great review of the Villains party! I was supposed to attend my first in April, but of course that whole trip was cancelled. Someday!

As long we continue to visit the parks, embrace the magic, and shine our joy the parks will be an amazing place of escapism.
This is said so beautifully and I fully agree!
I’m so glad you had a wonderful party night.
How fun to meet Cloe and Dan, I miss her reports
The kids sure enjoyed the night from your review, that is wonderful!

On paper those parties sound like a ridiculous waste of money, but man I'd be lying if every single report I see from one doesn't completely flip that thought on its head.

I imagine we're a couple years away from splurging though. We're moving our September trip to next December (covid and new baby on the way), so we'll have an almost 3 year old and an 11 month old. I don't foresee those late nights being a thing for a bit. But every time I read about someone else's experience, it reminds of me of the early days of the Christmas and Halloween parties before they got popular. The low crowds, the exclusivity, the feeling of magic and happiness amped up to 100.

Evie’s not a fan of ice cream; she’s got a mild dairy intolerance
I did not know this about Evie. My daughter also has a fairly mild dairy intolerance that she manages well but has to decide between pizza or an ice cream Mickey Bar on holidays to WDW - can’t have both without paying a not so pleasant price!
I miss Cloe’s reports here on the disboards :(

It wasn’t Disney Evie disliked.

It was the crowds.

This makes complete sense. Disney alone is a lot of stimulation.

We led them to a boat and loaded with an awesome family behind us. They were decked out in costumes and from the way they laughed and cheered at the live pirate they were having a great time.

That's a Diser family behind you! @Cluelyss and family 🥰 🥰

Interesting that you have one introvert and one extrovert.....it's awesome that you are so tuned in to what makes them tick and know how to meet their needs. So much of successful parenting is understanding where your children are at. As for your comment that you are not a spry chicken anymore.......no way! You are a practically still a baby even though you are a proud wife and mama! Just wait til you are doing a 4 parks/1 day trek in your fifties like me.......we only age when we slow down. :)

I'm not sure how I ended up with one kid who is a social butterfly and another who is extremely reserved! But like you said, as a parent it saves me a lot of trouble knowing their personalities and interests.
Haha, Alex and I joke sometimes that we're going to be a sight in another thirty years, because already we compare aches and pains. "Man, I'm feeling pretty stiff this morning. You remember that weird twinge in my shoulder? It's back today..." Part of living, I guess. :rotfl:

Oh Alicia I’ve loved reading about your after hours party! So glad you all got to experience magic kingdom at its best! Your photos made me smile no end! :goodvibes

The After Hours Party was a fun night, and now with the world as it is, I'm grateful we got to do it. Who the heck knows when we'll return to Disney!:confused3

I'm so glad you all had a blast at VAH!! And that you came to the realization that Evie DOES like Disney! What a fun night!

It was a relief to figure out how to approach Disney with Evie. And if going to more After Hours parties is what I have to do to make her comfortable...that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter