WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

They must not be expecting a lot of people next week. Still the same hours. I was really hoping for later hours at AK. Oh well. I am only 2.5 hours away. :drive:

So according to the Disney website, the buses don’t start running until 45 minutes before park opening (I’ve asked what’s really true in a different thread on the transportation forum). If that’s true, I want to know how much of a disadvantage I would have at rope drop for taking the bus instead of an Uber/Lyft. I’m very good at being one of the first people on a ride, but I don’t know how much of a disadvantage I’d be at for only getting there 30-45 minutes before opening. Don’t they start running rides early sometimes anyway? I’m mainly concerned about rope drop at AK (for FOP) and HS (MMRR, SDD, and maybe TOT)

I actually experienced a different experience. In most instances bus riders were actually beating everyone to rope drop. They held cars at the entrance until about 1 hours to 45 minutes prior to opening and in most instances bus riders were already in the park.

We were there the week before Thanksgiving, and they were letting people in 45 min prior to posted opening time. If you want to be there at that time, you would need to take an Uber to a nearby resort and walk over. Some people are doing a mobile order at the Contempo cafe at the Contemporary so that they can be dropped off there and walk to Mk, and some are ubering to the Speedway near HS And walking from there. We walked to HS from the Swan and were able to go straight to MMRR, then do Slinky and TOT all with the first hour.

I actually experienced a different experience. In most instances bus riders were actually beating everyone to rope drop. They held cars at the entrance until about 1 hours to 45 minutes prior to opening and in most instances bus riders were already in the park.
When did you go?

We were there the week before Thanksgiving, and they were letting people in 45 min prior to posted opening time. If you want to be there at that time, you would need to take an Uber to a nearby resort and walk over. Some people are doing a mobile order at the Contempo cafe at the Contemporary so that they can be dropped off there and walk to Mk, and some are ubering to the Speedway near HS And walking from there. We walked to HS from the Swan and were able to go straight to MMRR, then do Slinky and TOT all with the first hour.
When did you go?
When were they letting cars in?

I have been reading this post in preparation for our upcoming trip and it has been so helpful. We planned on taking an Uber to the Contemporary about 7:15 to pick up a mobile order at Contempo Cafe on our MK day. Park hours have been extended and we now have an 8:00am opening instead of 9:00am. Would this strategy still be beneficial since Contempo Cafe doesn't open until 7:00am?

Please excuse me if this isn't the right place to ask...

I am starting to be hopeful enough to plan a trip (we have been in self-isolation since march because I have an immunocompromised son) for after vaccinations are available. I'm going to look at dates this summer. My question is: does anyone have any insight as to whether Disneyworld will be opening more restaurants or allowing character meetings again? I'm sorry if this is too speculative. I'm not looking for any drama at all! TIA!

When were they letting cars in?

we went this past week. Thanksgiving week. And they didn’t let us in expect about 45 mins early and by that time bus riders and nearby hotel guests were already in the park. They were even keeping ride share from entering. However buses were rolling in about an hour or more prior.

Please excuse me if this isn't the right place to ask...

I am starting to be hopeful enough to plan a trip (we have been in self-isolation since march because I have an immunocompromised son) for after vaccinations are available. I'm going to look at dates this summer. My question is: does anyone have any insight as to whether Disneyworld will be opening more restaurants or allowing character meetings again? I'm sorry if this is too speculative. I'm not looking for any drama at all! TIA!
No one will have any idea right now, not even Disney management

I have been reading this post in preparation for our upcoming trip and it has been so helpful. We planned on taking an Uber to the Contemporary about 7:15 to pick up a mobile order at Contempo Cafe on our MK day. Park hours have been extended and we now have an 8:00am opening instead of 9:00am. Would this strategy still be beneficial since Contempo Cafe doesn't open until 7:00am?
Be there ar 7, the temp check/ security check on the walkway won't open until maybe 7:15-7:20

So, if I take a Lyft to the Speedway station, then walk in about an hour or an 1.25 hours ahead of opening, that should be a good way to get in early, correct? We would like to ride the long wait rides early, then leisurely enjoy the rest of the park. I have two days at HS just in case.

So, if I take a Lyft to the Speedway station, then walk in about an hour or an 1.25 hours ahead of opening, that should be a good way to get in early, correct? We would like to ride the long wait rides early, then leisurely enjoy the rest of the park. I have two days at HS just in case.

I would go a little earlier. They usually start letting people through temp check an hour before park opening and when we went in September, there were a LOT of people already in line at that point. We left the Poly around 7:45 for a 10 AM opening, walked from the Swan, and were second in line at temp check.

We were there about 1 & 1/2 weeks ago. MK opened at 9. We were at the bus stop by 7:30. We were on the first bus & at the park & in line by time they opened 45 minutes early.

AK opened at 8. We were at the bus stop by 6:30. First bus arrived not long afterwards. We were the very first in line to enter & the first in the park. They too opened 45 minutes early. We rode FoP with just us 2 in the room the first time.

Epcot opened at 11. we took the Skyliner from AoA to HS. Then we walked to Epcot at the Epcot Skyliner wasn’t running yet. before. We arrived at the back entrance a little after 10 & they opened soon after.

Cars were being held at the gate while buses were able to start arriving. Buses are faster but get to the bus stop early.

I don't think the problem is the buses getting you there in time, the problem is more you getting to the bus depot early enough to ensure you are on the first bus of the morning. People generally get to the bus depot 60 minutes or so before buses are due to start running because of the limited capacity on the buses currently. And if you are at a moderate or deluxe resort, you have to hope people respect who was there first for boarding order since there are not formal queues at the bus depots. We didn't want to play that game and we didn't want to wait an hour at the bus depot, so we just took Uber/Lyft about 45 minutes before park opening and we were in the park before the official park opening time both days we did this. I have no idea if we beat the buses and I have no idea what time the gates actually opened, but our waits were minimal and we still got the headliners done relatively quickly in the morning.

Starting this month characters will pop up at resort hotels on customized rv for surprise, social distant meet and greets, they might also be seen roaming the grounds, obviously no set times or set resorts, it'll be a complete surprise when they pop up

I have read that DHS opens one hour earlier than posted and that some rides are running.

What about MK, EP, and AK?

I hate not knowing all of the "rules" to make the most out of my trip.

Thanks!!

Scott

I have read that DHS opens one hour earlier than posted and that some rides are running.

What about MK, EP, and AK?

I hate not knowing all of the "rules" to make the most out of my trip.

Thanks!!

Scott
Not set in stone but most of the time they're now opening about 45 minutes before official time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter