WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I'd love any advice or reassurance right now. We planned our October 20-27th trip early this year before Covid, planning on doing Mickey's Halloween. We paid for a 7 day park hopper through our ITR office at the base where my wife works, but which has been closed since March, so I can't even communicate with them about refunds or extensions. We also got our resort reservations through a DVC company, which offers no refunds. I had planned out all our restaurants so I could reserve them, and it is one of the kiddo's birthday on October 21st (we have an 8yo and the other will turn 9 during the trip). Now many of the restaurants the kiddos picked, like Cinderella, Ohana, Luau, Crystal Palace, etc, are closed. No fireworks which is what our 8 year old was most looking forward to, and these seriously reduced hours.
Add to this my general anxiety over covid and not feeling safe traveling, let alone to Florida...
But we can't get a refund on our DVC, probably can't get a refund on our Disney tickets (or Universal, for that matter), and we got our flight with miles, which I haven't even looked into refunding...
Someone, please help me figure out what I should do. My wife is basically like "well, we have to go because it's nonrefundable" and I'm like it's so expensive and it's stupid to go when we aren't even getting a fraction of the experience we paid for.

But we can't get a refund on our DVC, probably can't get a refund on our Disney tickets (or Universal, for that matter), and we got our flight with miles, which I haven't even looked into refunding...
Check your tickets - WDW tickets should have automatically extended to 9/26/2021. If you don’t use the tickets by then, you can still apply a full credit towards future tickets.

DVC rentals have proven to be a challenge. Check with the rental agency to see if you have any options. Did you by chance have vacation protection or insurance?

Flights - you’ll need to deal with the airline but you may be able to change the flights or carry a credit/partial credit if you cancel.

Good luck!

Check your tickets - WDW tickets should have automatically extended to 9/26/2021. If you don’t use the tickets by then, you can still apply a full credit towards future tickets.

DVC rentals have proven to be a challenge. Check with the rental agency to see if you have any options. Did you by chance have vacation protection or insurance?

Flights - you’ll need to deal with the airline but you may be able to change the flights or carry a credit/partial credit if you cancel.

Good luck!

I'm not entirely sure about the tickets because we bought them through the military instead of through Disney and since the ITR office is closed, I can't communicate with anyone, however, I do have a decent hope that once it does reopen they will be able to extend those for us. I thought I heard something about the value of military tickets never expiring, you just have to pay the difference, but I'm having trouble finding that info again, so maybe I'm misremembering.

The DVC we spoke to a couple of times and basically told us so far, no luck unless we had been booked for those initial dates back in April/May, I think. Our only chance of seeing a refund there would be if Disney closed down again during the time we were supposed to travel. It is a $1400 loss, but I'm starting to think it might be worth it. I guess that's what I'm trying to decide. Is losing that worth it, with all that's going on as far as health concerns + the scaled back experience at the park.

Someone, please help me figure out what I should do. My wife is basically like "well, we have to go because it's nonrefundable" and I'm like it's so expensive and it's stupid to go when we aren't even getting a fraction of the experience we paid for.

In economic theory we call that a sunk cost. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but If you really can't get your money back, you should make a decision assuming that the money is lost whether you go or not. If you know that don't want to go and end up going, you're not only not going to get your money back, but you are going to spend even more money there, plus it sounds like you may be miserable the whole time. An expenditure that can't be recovered should never be considered when making a decision.

I'm not entirely sure about the tickets because we bought them through the military instead of through Disney and since the ITR office is closed, I can't communicate with anyone, however, I do have a decent hope that once it does reopen they will be able to extend those for us. I thought I heard something about the value of military tickets never expiring, you just have to pay the difference, but I'm having trouble finding that info again, so maybe I'm misremembering.
Are your tickets linked to your MDE account? They should have automatically extended, no need to involve ITR. And yes if never used before they expire, they can be used towards new tickets and pay the difference.

In economic theory we call that a sunk cost. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but If you really can't get your money back, you should make a decision assuming that the money is lost whether you go or not. If you know that don't want to go and end up going, you're not only not going to get your money back, but you are going to spend even more money there, plus it sounds like you may be miserable the whole time. An expenditure that can't be recovered should never be considered when making a decision.

That's how I'm thinking about it, particularly with the "we're going to spend even more money once we get there" aspect, except it's going to be on stuff that wasn't our first or even second choice. And since we've already bought the tickets, I'd rather save them for when we can get something closer to what we expected. My wife is definitely having a harder time with that aspect.

The DVC we spoke to a couple of times and basically told us so far, no luck unless we had been booked for those initial dates back in April/May, I think. Our only chance of seeing a refund there would be if Disney closed down again during the time we were supposed to travel. It is a $1400 loss, but I'm starting to think it might be worth it. I guess that's what I'm trying to decide. Is losing that worth it, with all that's going on as far as health concerns + the scaled back experience at the park.
Are they salute tix? If so, they did finally extend those through next September as well. We have some.

That's how I'm thinking about it, particularly with the "we're going to spend even more money once we get there" aspect, except it's going to be on stuff that wasn't our first or even second choice. And since we've already bought the tickets, I'd rather save them for when we can get something closer to what we expected. My wife is definitely having a harder time with that aspect.
If you definitely can't get your money back; then it sounds like your wife still wants to go, so that'd be a no brainer to me. At this point you're dealing with disappointment either way...either from a complete canceled trip or a very different trip than what you had planned...but if your wife still wants to make the most of it, and yoy can't get the money back anyways; I'd definitely be in board to at the very least her going with anyone else willing etc.

Are they salute tix? If so, they did finally extend those through next September as well. We have some.
No, they're for DOD employees. My wife works on the base, but is a civilian employee. So it's discounted, but not as much as the salute tickets.

Are your tickets linked to your MDE account? They should have automatically extended, no need to involve ITR. And yes if never used before they expire, they can be used towards new tickets and pay the difference.

Yes, they are linked, but they're also linked to our hotel reservation through MDE, so I don't know how to set about untangling that, and I don't know where to look to see the dates that they're good. But I trust that you know what you're talking about.

No, they're for DOD employees. My wife works on the base, but is a civilian employee. So it's discounted, but not as much as the salute tickets.

Yes, they are linked, but they're also linked to our hotel reservation through MDE, so I don't know how to set about untangling that, and I don't know where to look to see the dates that they're good. But I trust that you know what you're talking about.
I don't know anything about your specific type of ticket. But in general, if you go into the MDE app on your phone, click on the menu button on the bottom right, then click on Tickets and Passes, you should see each ticket listed along with its expiration date.

I don't know which company you used to rent your DVC reservation. If it was David's, there is a huge thread on the DVC Mouscellaneous Board about what that company has been doing for renters and for owners.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/davids-dvc-rental-reimbursement-or-rescheduling.3796922/

Your tickets and your resort reservation are both linked to your MDE profile. They are not necessarily tied to each other. One can be changed or canceled without impacting the other.

It sounds like your tickets are the discounted MYW tickets available for Military/DoD. They should show in MDE with an extension of the expiration date out to 9/26/2021. If not used before then, the value will carry forward to be applied towards new tickets at a later date.

I think you are largely looking at the question of whether to take the hit on the DVC rental by cancelling the trip, or decide to make the best of it with adjusted expectations. Folks who have gone this summer seems to have reported good experiences, albeit "different" than a normal WDW trip. If this is a one-and-done for your family, I would lean towards cancelling and plan again in the future. If you go yearly or more often, maybe your family can adjust some expectations and still have a good time. It's really just a personal choice, no right or wrong answer.

@thursdaystgiles maybe an obvious question,
Have you actually contacted Disney and tried to sort this out?
There's nothing anyone here can do for you, reach out to Disney and see what they say
Unfortunately; there's probably nothing at all Disney will be able to do for them or tell them. They're booked through DVC rental and have military tickets. The military tickets should have the extended expiration date through next Sept.; but the DVC will be up to that renter and their agreement, which seems like they're most likely out of luck.

Unfortunately; there's probably nothing at all Disney will be able to do for them or tell them. They're booked through DVC rental and have military tickets. The military tickets should have the extended expiration date through next Sept.; but the DVC will be up to that renter and their agreement, which seems like they're most likely out of luck.
You never know for sure until you contact them though

I'd love any advice or reassurance right now. We planned our October 20-27th trip early this year before Covid, planning on doing Mickey's Halloween. We paid for a 7 day park hopper through our ITR office at the base where my wife works, but which has been closed since March, so I can't even communicate with them about refunds or extensions. We also got our resort reservations through a DVC company, which offers no refunds. I had planned out all our restaurants so I could reserve them, and it is one of the kiddo's birthday on October 21st (we have an 8yo and the other will turn 9 during the trip). Now many of the restaurants the kiddos picked, like Cinderella, Ohana, Luau, Crystal Palace, etc, are closed. No fireworks which is what our 8 year old was most looking forward to, and these seriously reduced hours.
Add to this my general anxiety over covid and not feeling safe traveling, let alone to Florida...
I have sympathy! We are in the same boat in many ways. DVC rental back in early Feb.- Not refundable or changeable. But, I'm traveling with my 20-something kids (not little ones).
We aren't allowed to get into anything science related here, so I can't cite any specific information, but I have been an RN for 35 yrs and from the start have been reading extensively and keeping up continuously about the details of this virus. Additionally, since reopening I've been watching vlogs and reading trip reports and listening to podcasts about what safety measures are in place and how they are being enforced.
If it helps any..... Based on all of this, we are set to go on our 8 park day trip in mid-Sept. I feel that we will be able to feel safe in most environments and we will skip ones where we don't feel safe ( for ex: not doing DS this trip) and take our leave if a situation arises where we don't feel safe (standing near someone who takes their mask down for an extended period)
I'm actually more worried about the airports and flights, than the parks. We have plans to wear MORE PPE in those places than in the parks/resorts.
This thread might be a good read for you: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...ersal-and-disney.3808477/page-2#post-62213998
Best wishes, on whatever you decide!

I'm actually more worried about the airports and flights, than the parks. We have plans to wear MORE PPE in those places than in the parks/resorts.
This thread might be a good read for you: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-physician’s-thoughts-after-spending-16-nights-at-universal-and-disney.3808477/page-2#post-62213998
Best wishes, on whatever you decide!

As someone who has recently flown, we felt safe on the planes and at the airports. Especially now with the new no exceptions rule on masks. Of course, we had safe practices such as waiting at a relatively empty gate area until after boarding started. It was easy with less travelers currently flying, making airports sparsely populated (compared to overcrowded in the past), and empty middle seats (if you fly an airline still doing it). We had the option to be tested once back home and the results were negative, bolstering that following safe practices can work.

As someone who has recently flown, we felt safe on the planes and at the airports. Especially now with the new no exceptions rule on masks. Of course, we had safe practices such as waiting at a relatively empty gate area until after boarding started. It was easy with less travelers currently flying, making airports sparsely populated (compared to overcrowded in the past), and empty middle seats (if you fly an airline still doing it). We had the option to be tested once back home and the results were negative, bolstering that following safe practices can work.
Great to hear! Thx. I've been reading varied reports about airports. Some great. Some terrible (as far as mask protocol)
Flying PHL to MCO (of course)
Southwest down
American return

Hey all, maybe a bit of an oddball question...I have an upcoming trip planned, and one obstacle I have from my employer is needing to receive a Covid test within 72-hours of returning to my home state.
Is there anywhere conveniently close to WDW that is providing Covid testing that anyone may be using?

Hey all, maybe a bit of an oddball question...I have an upcoming trip planned, and one obstacle I have from my employer is needing to receive a Covid test within 72-hours of returning to my home state.
Is there anywhere conveniently close to WDW that is providing Covid testing that anyone may be using?

You may want to check to see if Orlando and/or Orange County test sites are available to non-residents. I know where I live (not FLA) you have to be able to prove you live 'in the area'.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice they gave me. I'll admit I'd been putting a lot of this decision making off because of my general anxiety and not liking to have to call/speak to people. However, I took a chance and emailed the ITR office anyway, even though they're closed, and I emailed dvcreservations for the third time, and contacted Capital One about my flight. ITR woman is checking her email from home, thank goodness! She told me my disney tickets will never expire, they are working to get me a refund on my Universal ones, but at worst I'll just have to pay the difference at the park, even if they expire. Capital One is issue vouchers for the cost of our flight towards a different one in the future. Dvcreservations said they will relist my room, but at 65%. So I won't get the full amount back, but if it gets booked, I'll only be out 350-400 instead of 1400, and honestly, we almost bought trip insurance, which would have cost that much anyway, so I'm okay with losing that to have a much better trip experience next October. And the kids are in agreement that even though they're sad not to go now, they'd rather go when they can do fireworks/restaurants they wanted/character meet and greets, and the Halloween party.
So thanks for giving me the kick in the pants to try harder

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter